PDA

View Full Version : typical rust is setting me back!!

HEMMO R5T
03-11-2011, 21:10
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=1459&pictureid=3590http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=1459&pictureid=3587http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=1459&pictureid=3585

bloody thing, gonna cost a bomb, not what i needed to see!!

Markey Mark (BD)
03-11-2011, 21:12
Are you not able to weld yourself mate?

If that doesn't go too deep into the sill then that isn't that bad to fix, would be worth wire brushing it and see if most of it comes off

HEMMO R5T
03-11-2011, 21:14
Are you not able to weld yourself mate?

If that doesn't go too deep into the sill then that isn't that bad to fix, would be worth wire brushing it and see if most of it comes off

goes straight through mate, cant weld either, the other sill is almost asbad

dangerous dave
03-11-2011, 21:17
rust:( my gtt wont be coming out in the rain and will stay garaged, the rust just doesn't stop.. i've cut it back, ground it down and sealed it but i just know a few years in the elements would kill it.. :crap:

Markey Mark (BD)
03-11-2011, 21:18
Ok so little more but still able to save that mate, prob worth seeing exactly where it ends though.

HEMMO R5T
03-11-2011, 21:20
yeah i know, havnt dared to take the side skirts off yet minght have a look tomorrow, ill sleep onit i think lol

HEMMO R5T
03-11-2011, 21:22
rust:( my gtt wont be coming out in the rain and will stay garaged, the rust just doesn't stop.. i've cut it back, ground it down and sealed it but i just know a few years in the elements would kill it.. :crap:

i know typical french for ya lol
once this is built, as soon as it even looks like its going to rain, im pulling the covers out and keeping it dry...g/f can walk home lol

djinuk
03-11-2011, 21:45
very typical areas for these thins to rot that mate.

Other possibilities..

outer sillers, alone the seam, front and rear bumper brackets etc..

You though about learning to weld, it could be a good time :cool::cool:

HEMMO R5T
03-11-2011, 21:50
very typical areas for these thins to rot that mate.

Other possibilities..

outer sillers, alone the seam, front and rear bumper brackets etc..

You though about learning to weld, it could be a good time :cool::cool:

lol me welding, im to dangerous with a spanner as it is lol

outer sills will be where the sideskirts are right?

HEMMO R5T
03-11-2011, 22:10
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=1459&pictureid=3598

is this the sill u mean pal?

djinuk
03-11-2011, 22:29
yea the outer sills are the bits you will see if you remove the skirts matey.

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=7962

check my thread, as it may highlight a few of the areas,

HEMMO R5T
03-11-2011, 22:52
yea the outer sills are the bits you will see if you remove the skirts matey.

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=7962

check my thread, as it may highlight a few of the areas,

thanx for that mate, really intresting, looked like a pukka job too

where did ya get ya sills from?

djinuk
04-11-2011, 07:26
place called moreleys in derby dude, think they are having trouble getting any now though

phase i 16 v turbo
04-11-2011, 08:25
place called moreleys in derby dude, think they are having trouble getting any now though

I think they haven't got any more in. I have had 10 sets on order since late May, got one set left on the shelf.

djinuk
04-11-2011, 09:00
just a thought , and i may be stupid here as ive no idea of the process involved.. but would it not be an idea for the club shop to try and source some sills from somewhere..

raider_gtt
04-11-2011, 11:15
just a thought , and i may be stupid here as ive no idea of the process involved.. but would it not be an idea for the club shop to try and source some sills from somewhere..

i think its going to be a case of buy what you can at the time now!;)

raider_gtt
04-11-2011, 11:24
I think they haven't got any more in. I have had 10 sets on order since late May, got one set left on the shelf.

them 10 you have on order cant see you getting them mate

phase i 16 v turbo
04-11-2011, 11:26

None of the large suppliers have a press date for the next lot, if there isn't the demand they may not press:eek:

raider_gtt
04-11-2011, 11:29
None of the large suppliers have a press date for the next lot, if there isn't the demand they may not press:eek:

yup i no the story mike i have a spare set so thats two sets between us

raider_gtt
04-11-2011, 11:33
a lot of suppliers are saying they can get them but when you have them on order then they ring you saying sorry cant get them no more had this time and time again i get told

HEMMO R5T
04-11-2011, 12:05
well i brought a mig welder off ebay last night atround 3am :eek: and a angle grinder

as for the sills, they seeming very hard to track down, can ya cut and shut sills from other renault 5's (non turbos)?

raider_gtt
04-11-2011, 12:24
well i brought a mig welder off ebay last night atround 3am :eek: and a angle grinder

as for the sills, they seeming very hard to track down, can ya cut and shut sills from other renault 5's (non turbos)?

Mike has a set and I have a set for sale only thing is postage is expensive I would say DON'T put 2nd hand ones on ain't worth it! Turst me

HEMMO R5T
04-11-2011, 12:25
Mike has a set and I have a set for sale only thing is postage is expensive I would say DON'T put 2nd hand ones on ain't worth it! Turst me

how much we looking at, thats if the sills do need replacing :scratch:

raider_gtt
04-11-2011, 13:16
how much we looking at, thats if the sills do need replacing :scratch:

Who's closest me or mike if you are picking up I can do it for £199 for the pair ask mike phase I 16v turbo he maybe able to do better than me

HEMMO R5T
04-11-2011, 13:28
Who's closest me or mike if you are picking up I can do it for £199 for the pair ask mike phase I 16v turbo he maybe able to do better than me

id imagine there aint much diff in the distance, im gonna have a look at the sills either today or sumtime over the weekend, if they need doing ill give u or mike a buzz and let ya know

wont be able to collect as the only car i got at mo is the r5 lol

how much "guestimate" p+p be

£199 seems a fair price, ill give mike a shout to and then compare the 2
is it a thing i can tackle at home or should i take it to a pro?

raider_gtt
04-11-2011, 13:31
id imagine there aint much diff in the distance, im gonna have a look at the sills either today or sumtime over the weekend, if they need doing ill give u or mike a buzz and let ya know

wont be able to collect as the only car i got at mo is the r5 lol

how much "guestimate" p+p be

£199 seems a fair price, ill give mike a shout to and then compare the 2
is it a thing i can tackle at home or should i take it to a pro?

Ok seem fine with me em i can sort out postage or you can do it what ever you want to do mate is fine with me Chris

HEMMO R5T
04-11-2011, 13:34
ok well ill get back to and let you know either way, erm havnt got a clue how to do couriors lol but ill bung u a few more pennies if you sort it

djinuk
04-11-2011, 13:56
If its gone you will find the lower seam will be non existant. if thats the case you will want to also get the inner sill panels.

Ashy on here got lots made quite cheap.. mike may also have some..

Its by no means an easy task but expect £450 + sills onwards for a bodyshop to carry out the work.

Certainly you first want to get handy with the weld, there will also be a certain amount of filler work required.

Its a shame as the bodyshop i used to do work for were doing these at not much £££.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

check that site also for welding.

raider_gtt
04-11-2011, 14:19
ok well ill get back to and let you know either way, erm havnt got a clue how to do couriors lol but ill bung u a few more pennies if you sort it

It's ok just the cost of it will be fine don't need extra just to set it up I have looked it up I have £35 plus the vat on a 24 hr is the cheapest I can get if anyone knows any cheaper let me know

HEMMO R5T
04-11-2011, 14:23
If its gone you will find the lower seam will be non existant. if thats the case you will want to also get the inner sill panels.

Ashy on here got lots made quite cheap.. mike may also have some..

Its by no means an easy task but expect £450 + sills onwards for a bodyshop to carry out the work.

Certainly you first want to get handy with the weld, there will also be a certain amount of filler work required.

Its a shame as the bodyshop i used to do work for were doing these at not much £££.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

check that site also for welding.

checking that site now pal, looking usefull, soo as the mig is here im gonna do afew practice runs, whats the best wire to use, or doesnt it matter

ouch £450 plus sills!! its expensive, but atleast it gives ya peace of mind
no point in doing a project if underneath is a dog!

djinuk
04-11-2011, 14:36
its just the time thats required really thats the issue.. in the same time it takes to fit a pair of sills, blend and paint, they could do an insurance job fitting 2 fresh doors and painting half of a car.. hence the price.

with it being thing metal id just go for 0.6 or 0.8 personally, but best bet is to watch some tutorials on then.. specifically look at anything that talks about welding THIN metal.. anything about how to get silly strong welds is pretty pointless as yoou cant put that much heat into car bodypanels as it will just blow.

Id personally find an old bonnet/wing or somthing thats the same thickness as the car, practictive cutting sections up and welding them together, using tacs, or short runs, that will give you an idea of what you can get away with..

If you do set about doing it id personally take lots of pics along the way posting them on here and that welding forum, that way you will get the best advice possible offered to you.

HEMMO R5T
04-11-2011, 14:41
its just the time thats required really thats the issue.. in the same time it takes to fit a pair of sills, blend and paint, they could do an insurance job fitting 2 fresh doors and painting half of a car.. hence the price.

with it being thing metal id just go for 0.6 or 0.8 personally, but best bet is to watch some tutorials on then.. specifically look at anything that talks about welding THIN metal.. anything about how to get silly strong welds is pretty pointless as yoou cant put that much heat into car bodypanels as it will just blow.

Id personally find an old bonnet/wing or somthing thats the same thickness as the car, practictive cutting sections up and welding them together, using tacs, or short runs, that will give you an idea of what you can get away with..

If you do set about doing it id personally take lots of pics along the way posting them on here and that welding forum, that way you will get the best advice possible offered to you.

ok if sills are gone think its best to have a go at them, ill post pics on here when i get round to doing it, gonna buy sum wire now off ebay, ill keep ya posted pal, thanx for that link too real gd stuff

Steven Leece
04-11-2011, 14:45
Just did a quick ebay search, might be worth looking at these auctions.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-5-87-95-SILL-SIDEPLATE-2-DOOR-L-H-/160672598789?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2568d54b05

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-5-87-95-SILL-SIDEPLATE-2-DOOR-R-H-/140627534852?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20be0de404

Hopefully they arent selling something they dont have in stock....probably clearing old stock!??

Worth a buy it now at that price! combine postage and all that for £100? not bad!!

:agree:

HEMMO R5T
04-11-2011, 14:50
Just did a quick ebay search, might be worth looking at these auctions.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-5-87-95-SILL-SIDEPLATE-2-DOOR-L-H-/160672598789?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2568d54b05

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-5-87-95-SILL-SIDEPLATE-2-DOOR-R-H-/140627534852?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20be0de404

Hopefully they arent selling something they dont have in stock....probably clearing old stock!??

Worth a buy it now at that price! combine postage and all that for £100? not bad!!

:agree:

looks good that, £100 for both, not bad going, will be keeping an eye on these
thanx pal

Steven Leece
04-11-2011, 14:54
to be honest I think a few people would be tempted!!

dont leave it too long!!

BluntyR5GTT
04-11-2011, 14:57
to be honest I think a few people would be tempted!!

dont leave it too long!!

yes id get them bought asap fella

stu21t
04-11-2011, 14:58
You can practice by filling the holes in the wing lmao!

This is something i will need to do on my cab when i resto it next year.
Not lookin forward to it!

djinuk
04-11-2011, 15:04
looks good that, £100 for both, not bad going, will be keeping an eye on these
thanx pal

Careful, maybe worth seeing who supplied them.. as there aftermarket they may be a terrible fit.

Steven Leece
04-11-2011, 15:14
are they not all from Hadrian or somewhere ie the same press?

obviously not the renault ones, but these repair panels!

the ones I got from beevers were hadrian panels....:confused:

raider_gtt
04-11-2011, 15:27
are they not all from Hadrian or somewhere ie the same press?

obviously not the renault ones, but these repair panels!

the ones I got from beevers were hadrian panels....:confused:

No Hadrian have now STOPED no longer selling due to surplus

raider_gtt
04-11-2011, 15:29
Them one on eBay are not in stock they are just listting them then they will refund you later on I found this out I have told them y are you listting item they don't have in stock! They come back with we order when items have been paid for then hope we can get them :cry:

raider_gtt
04-11-2011, 17:03
Them one on eBay are not in stock they are just listting them then they will refund you later on I found this out I have told them y are you listting item they don't have in stock! They come back with we order when items have been paid for then hope we can get them :cry:

THIS FEEDBACK SAY ITS ALL REALLY BET NO ONE HAS LOOKED AT THIS RIGHT AND YOU ARE TELLING OTHER MEMMBER TO BUY THESES SILLS FORM THEM I WOULD TUST
AS I SAID THEY TOLD ME THEY LIST ITEM BUT DONT HAVE THEM IN STOCK READ THIS LOT ON THE LINK I WOULD STAY AWAY

http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=national-spares&iid=-1&de=off&items=25&which=negative&interval=365&_trkparms=negative_365

Steven Leece
04-11-2011, 17:43
yeah fair point 99.7% positive feedback is shocking! Shoot me now for that advice!!

but hey at least im trying to help not shaft him for £200 which we all know is probably £120 profit for you!

I will keep quiet from now on!!:agree:

Ashy
04-11-2011, 18:35
yeah fair point 99.7% positive feedback is shocking! Shoot me now for that advice!!

but hey at least im trying to help not shaft him for £200 which we all know is probably £120 profit for you!

LMAO :laugh:

+ £35.00 worth of postage!! I ship sill repair strips out for £10.00 and they are the same size and weight!!

Shafting other members tut tut :sad2:

On another note, if you need any of THESE, (http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=23600) THESE (http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=23599) or THESE (http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=23601) let me know.

raider_gtt
04-11-2011, 18:42

Mate it's the going rate for them and I would like to see you get a set also I have them here in stock if you like

raider_gtt
04-11-2011, 18:46
LMAO :laugh:

+ £35.00 worth of postage!! I ship sill repair strips out for £10.00 and they are the same size and weight!!

Shafting other members tut tut :sad2:

On another note, if you need any of THESE, (http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=23600) THESE (http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=23599) or THESE (http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=23601) let me know.

Ashy I have asked on here if anyone knows a company cheaper and left it down to the buyer to sort postage out if they wish so im not ripping anyone off even local pick up is fine with me

sammo_gtt
04-11-2011, 18:50
could you send me a pic of both sills please as i am interested?? do they have the side skirt mounting pins on them?? :)

Danboi2
04-11-2011, 19:07
I collected mine yesterday and I should be able to get more and post them out for about £140 might be able to get them cheaper if a few people are interested.

Pics now on profile

sammo_gtt
04-11-2011, 19:29
I collected mine yesterday and I should be able to get more and post them out for about £140 might be able to get them cheaper if a few people are interested will get some pics up for you to have a look
do they have the side skirt mounting pins on them??

djinuk
04-11-2011, 19:32
nope, none of the sills do , they are just a rivit.. bodytrim rivit.. renault do well them , about £46 for 10 last time i looked.. but vauxhall/peugeot etc do the same ones far cheaper.

raider_gtt
04-11-2011, 20:13
I collected mine yesterday and I should be able to get more and post them out for about £140 might be able to get them cheaper if a few people are interested.

Pics now on profile

Thats rubbish I know inc sending them I don't beleave that for a min But go ahead if you think you can do it

Danboi2
04-11-2011, 20:15
whats rubbish?

TrixNFlix
04-11-2011, 20:56
Thats rubbish I know inc sending them I don't beleave that for a min But go ahead if you think you can do it

Who would of thought eh, a fellow member trying to help out! :scared:

raider_gtt
04-11-2011, 21:30
whats rubbish?

What you have come out with can send for £140 go and do it Mate

Markey Mark (BD)
04-11-2011, 21:32
What you have come out with can send for £140 go on then go and do it Mate

Why not?

If he's managed to find somewhere that has got a few of them in stock at that price then whats the problem?

Danboi2
04-11-2011, 21:34
Why not?

If he's managed to find somewhere that has got a few of them in stock at that price then whats the problem?

they wasnt in stock I did have to wait 3 weeks because they was made for me

Markey Mark (BD)
04-11-2011, 21:35
they wasnt in stock I did have to wait 3 weeks because they was made for me

Thats cool mate, least you got some for that price and fair play to you. ;)

HEMMO R5T
04-11-2011, 22:21
jhezz this has got rather heated since i was last online

good news is that i have taken the sideskirts off and the sills are virtually new which im very glad about, soo wont be needing for a gd few years, or thinking about it, if they hard to get now maybe be wise to stock up :scratch: sod it ill let the next owner worry about it ;)

and thanx for everyones input with advise, much appreciated!!

phase i 16 v turbo
05-11-2011, 10:17
do they have the side skirt mounting pins on them??

Not even the OE ones have the mounting pins they are sold separatley. I keep them in stock. Well done to Dan, lets see what kind of fit they are and then see what a large order price they can do.
Thanks
Mike

djinuk
05-11-2011, 20:59
ok then.. well your sorted then.. however.. my advice..

when you cut that rust out from the inner sill (nice big hole), fill the sills with waxoil or dinatol.. give them a real good lashing before you weld it up.. that way the chance of the outers rusting are minimal.

Well done for getting on with this

btw.. got the package today buddy, thanks a lot! :agree::agree:

J$£5GTT
08-11-2011, 22:34
ok then.. well your sorted then.. however.. my advice..

when you cut that rust out from the inner sill (nice big hole), fill the sills with waxoil or dinatol.. give them a real good lashing before you weld it up.. that way the chance of the outers rusting are minimal.

Well done for getting on with this

btw.. got the package today buddy, thanks a lot! :agree::agree:

por 15 to!!!!!
:agree::)

Steven Leece
14-11-2011, 11:48
Just to let you know, as I was a bit annoyed at the comments from Raider GTT after I posted that there were some sills on ebay, I contacted the seller and bought them!

They were very helpful despite their shocking 99.7% feedback and were posted same day I paid for them (Wednesday) and arrived by the weekend.

All in, posted to the Isle of Man, I paid £97.99 which I thought was good as apparently the going rate is £199.99 plus post? This would have been £90.99 if I lived on the mainland!

Anyway if anyone needs the sills it is worth contacting them to see if they still have some, I put a best offer in on each sill of £41, which I know is not much under the £42.50 asking price, but every penny counts!

I would definately say contact them first to make sure they still have some, I found them very helpful. Also dont pay straight away as postage for 2 sills is only original postage price plus £1.

If they are all gone please contact me as I will send these back to someone for what it cost me plus post, I am not wanting to make a profit on these as I really only bought them to prove a point!!!

Thanks

Steve

djinuk
14-11-2011, 11:55
good news there steve.. if not just give them a call and im sure they would collect them, i used that company once before in teh past and there cool with returns.

Steven Leece
14-11-2011, 11:59
Thanks DJ

If nobody needs them I might just have to buy another 5 that needs saving!

Dont tell the Mrs!!:wasntme:

djinuk
14-11-2011, 12:14
haha i like that..

ooo i have two of these spare...

rather than sell them ill buy another car to fit them to..

good job i dont do that with wheels id have 14 cars now.

Steven Leece
14-11-2011, 12:21
Maybe you should get a list of all the different cars the wheels will fit and get buying!! a different type of car for each set sounds like the thing to do!! :agree:

And maybe while your at it purchase some kind of air craft hanger/industrial unit to keep them all in!!! :wasntme:

Robbo
14-11-2011, 12:45
club should really be jumping in here and buying a good few sets and selling them in the shop

The new Bill J
14-11-2011, 13:04
Good going Steven :agree: :cool:

Don't worry about raider's posts - No one else does :cartman:

car.crash
14-11-2011, 13:20
Nice work Steve :).

TrixNFlix
14-11-2011, 13:52
Yeah top work Steven, that's what this clubs about.:):agree:

Steven Leece
14-11-2011, 22:12
I have spoken to Ellie at national spares and informed that there might be some interest from the club and asked how many sets she had, this was my response:

Hi Steve,
Thank you for that, Very much appreciated.
We have 10 plus on either side at present, I think possibly Steve your help may already be in the swing of things,
So far in the last week, We have had yourself and also another 3x pairs ordered :)
If it would help at all, My email address - ellie@nationalspares.com
I will do my best to help on any queries, Parts required.
We are also in the process of building our own site, nationalspares.com
No items are on here at present, A working process..........
Thank you again Steve, It has been a pleasure.
Thank you,
Ellie

- national-spares

I pointed out I was nothing to do with committee or running so if Clee or anyone wants to take it from here or leave members to sort out sets for themselves!

Tony Walker
14-11-2011, 22:42
Give me a chance for some prices tomorrow, im sure i got a pair of sills with kick plate and bottom of rear quarter for mine for around £50-60