PDA

View Full Version : cork gaskets/ speedo

tubbyG
27-10-2011, 16:22
has anyone used the cork gaskets for sump and timing cover with good results?.....should I use them with sealant, or ignore them and use just sealant alone?

also, my 5 has stopped clocking miles recently, is it this cable that needs looked at/replacing?

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac2/Phase2-tungy-gtt/DSC00416.jpg

James5
27-10-2011, 16:37
I tried the cork gasket on the sump and it did nothing but fecking leak, went back to sealant on the sump in the end. Although the timing chain cork gasket was fine and never leaked.

argh don't worry about the mileage aslong as speedo work's :laugh: keeps the mileage down:D:laugh:

Bigfoot
27-10-2011, 16:41
That is one end of the speedo cable. Or you need the one which goes to the dash, or could be the dash clocks. Might be worth just cleaning out the plug which is by the passenger turret.

tubbyG
27-10-2011, 17:23
thanks for that guys...:agree::agree:

cork gasket for timing cover, and sealant for the sump.

I will clean up behind the instrument panel and have a look for the other connector in the bay

cheers fellas :niceone:

markey b
27-10-2011, 17:29
just to contradict everyone i use cork for both, just make sure its damp when you assemble it and no sealant required

tubbyG
27-10-2011, 17:38
just to contradict everyone i use cork for both, just make sure its damp when you assemble it and no sealant required

interesting... :coffee:

I thought they would be a good idea as it would stop me getting sealant everywhere when fannying about trying get the sump on :laugh:

Big Steve - Raider
27-10-2011, 17:45
My turn!!

I've got the cork gasket's on my C1J and it's ok! The only weak spot is round the sump plug & crank seal.

Definately easier than the friggin sealant!

Interested to hear what you mean by them being Damp though Mark?? :scratch: As in spray it with water before assembly??

Bass J
27-10-2011, 21:05
Ive also used cork on both and they didnt leak on my last engine ...my current c1j will be getting the same treatment :)

tubbyG
27-10-2011, 22:47
Is there a specific torque for the sump bolts when using the cork gaskets then?

Bass J
27-10-2011, 22:58
as far as i remember we didnt torque em up ..just tightened em in sequence ..in the same idea as you would with any other gasket :)

tubbyG
27-10-2011, 23:14
Thanks for that dude.....:agree:

jamie_clioGTT
27-10-2011, 23:20
there should be some little nipples on the sump next to two holes... do them up first as they should bottom out before it kills the cork.. then do the rest up accordingly..

deffinetly intrested in this damp idea mark? as i bollocked sealant all over mine :sad2: