PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a refurbished Steering Rack for GT Turbo

Renault 5 GT Turbo
21-10-2011, 10:49
Hi all,

I have been searching all over for a refurbished Steering rack. I found one but the cost was £250, which seems a little excessive!

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Bigfoot
21-10-2011, 11:05
We have a branch in Chesham (Motor Parts Direct) which should be able to help you get your steering rack refurbished, we can use a few companies to do this.

philg
22-10-2011, 09:14
Im sure i payed about £100-150 for mine as an exchange part through a local car parts place i use.

Ashy
22-10-2011, 09:33
Im sure i payed about £100-150 for mine as an exchange part through a local car parts place i use.

Who was that Phil? I need one!

philg
22-10-2011, 09:41
Who was that Phil? I need one!

A place called quickstart on benton rd, Newcastle, i can double check the reciept for you when i get back, but im 99% it was less than £150 :)

Ashy
22-10-2011, 10:10
Aye if you would mate :)

Thanks!

michael tierney
22-10-2011, 16:33
should'nt be too expensive to do it yourself....unless its bent or the rack and pinion are too worn!!

philg
22-10-2011, 16:52
It was £90 exchanging my old for new, I may have got a bit discout at that price, I did spend a small fortune in there lol, if you want ashy I can ask if they can get another and get you a price.

Renault 5 GT Turbo
22-10-2011, 17:11
Thanks for the help all.

I tried Motor Parts but found out that All Parts can get them refurbished for £120 which seems fair.

Ashy
22-10-2011, 22:00
It was £90 exchanging my old for new, I may have got a bit discout at that price, I did spend a small fortune in there lol, if you want ashy I can ask if they can get another and get you a price.

Yes Please :)

Can you ask them this... Do I give them a rack that they then send away to be reconditioned or do you hand one in when you collect?

The reason why I ask is I have two racks... The one on my car has the square drive so I need a new one with a square drive. However I have a spare rack that I could hand in which is spline drive. So the idea would be to order a square drive rack and trade it for a spline drive!

Hope that makes sense!

Ashy

philg
23-10-2011, 14:16
I get you, mine had a square drive, they ordered and I just took mine in on the day, there was some problems getting the right one first time round. I will find out Monday for you. Send me a pm with your car reg :)

Renault 5 GT Turbo
26-10-2011, 20:31
To add to this, left work pronto today, battled through heavy traffic to catch All Parts before they shut only to find they had ordered the wrong rack grrr!

I had specified the rack (square drive) yet a completely different thing turned up. Lost confidence now, worried I am going to get a Campus 4 turn rack turn up but only discover this once fitted.

romain-gtt
26-10-2011, 21:38
sorry but what is this part ?? any picture ???

Thundercat
26-10-2011, 23:44
To confirm correct number of turns before leaving the factors, just try turning drive lock to lock and count number of turns. Better to find out then.

Renault 5 GT Turbo
31-10-2011, 23:13
To confirm correct number of turns before leaving the factors, just try turning drive lock to lock and count number of turns. Better to find out then.

Great tip.

I turned up to collect the 'correct rack for a GT Turbo' that had arrived (see my earlier post), the chap swore blind that it was the right one this time.
The rack appeared correct unlike last time, but upon checking, the shaft rotated 4 times. I then checked mine to be sure I was conducting a fair test and it turned 3.2 times.

Without apology, the guy said he would get my original rack refurbished.

phase i 16 v turbo
01-11-2011, 09:05
If there are alot of people that need a refurbished rack this is something I could look into as I have loads of second-hand ones on the shelf and know of a company that refurbs racks for rally cars locally to me.

Renault 5 GT Turbo
01-11-2011, 18:23
Great tip.

I turned up to collect the 'correct rack for a GT Turbo' that had arrived (see my earlier post), the chap swore blind that it was the right one this time.
The rack appeared correct unlike last time, but upon checking, the shaft rotated 4 times. I then checked mine to be sure I was conducting a fair test and it turned 3.2 times.

Without apology, the guy said he would get my original rack refurbished.

Ok so nearly a week on since I sent my rack off for a refurb, I called to see how things are going. Chap says the rack has been looked at and has been deemed non repairable. I asked when they intended to let me know about this, they said today.

I asked what was unrepairable about the rack and he said it was the fact the inner ball joints were worn and the pinion gear. I thought this was standard refurb stuff, even Renault sell the inner ball joints! Apparently a refurb in there book is a pair of new boots and a spay over with black paint!!! Pretty annoyed that I have wasted 2 weeks on this now and got nowhere.

Any ideas where to try next?

Bigfoot
01-11-2011, 18:55
Did you want me to sort it out with my company, you said you tried with Chesham branch, what did they say?

raider_gtt
01-11-2011, 18:59
Ok so nearly a week on since I sent my rack off for a refurb, I called to see how things are going. Chap says the rack has been looked at and has been deemed non repairable. I asked when they intended to let me know about this, they said today.

I asked what was unrepairable about the rack and he said it was the fact the inner ball joints were worn and the pinion gear. I thought this was standard refurb stuff, even Renault sell the inner ball joints! Apparently a refurb in there book is a pair of new boots and a spay over with black paint!!! Pretty annoyed that I have wasted 2 weeks on this now and got nowhere.

Any ideas where to try next?

Y don't you just buy a new one so much easyer job done I did

Renault 5 GT Turbo
01-11-2011, 19:08
Did you want me to sort it out with my company, you said you tried with Chesham branch, what did they say?

I am trying them tomorrow. I spoke to Tom there this afternoon but he said he can investigate it tomorrow morning.

Renault 5 GT Turbo
01-11-2011, 19:10
Y don't you just buy a new one so much easyer job done I did

I would but don't know where to get one from. I say that but I don't fancy spending £000's more than I need to.

Out of interest, where do you get new ones from?

phase i 16 v turbo
01-11-2011, 19:26
I would but don't know where to get one from. I say that but I don't fancy spending £000's more than I need to.

Renault prices as follows:-
Knuckle fitting £565

I have had no luck getting an aftermarket R5 GT Turbo one, the ones that have been sent aren't for the R5 Gt Turbo.

raider_gtt
01-11-2011, 20:06

i got mine from renault main dealer

raider_gtt
01-11-2011, 20:54
guys i have found this i dont know if this will help but the renault 19 non power steering rack looks the same to me but i maybe jumping the gun have a look at this if not ring this company and ask if they have a gt turbo one in stock or could do a recon one its a long shot me may help you ;)

link below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-19-Manual-Steering-Rack-/220629617962?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item335e8ccd2a#ht_885wt_698