PDA

View Full Version : battery keeps dieing???

TNT ANDY
17-10-2011, 19:06
Hi all - I have fitted a new battery to my 5 (race type) as my last one was not holding charge. I put this down to an old battery as it hadn't had one for a while. This one also loses charge over a 3 day period. Has anyone got any idea's of how to measure the amount of ampage flowing across a battery, so that I can try and locate the source of the leak?

AS
:confused::confused::confused:

Andrew Cooke
17-10-2011, 19:09
yep, ammeter. Disconnect one side of the battery and put the meter inline. Then go around unplugging fuses until the current drops. Also try unplugging the alternator, they can discharge at about that rate.

TNT ANDY
17-10-2011, 20:38
yep, ammeter. Disconnect one side of the battery and put the meter inline. Then go around unplugging fuses until the current drops. Also try unplugging the alternator, they can discharge at about that rate.

Hi Andy - by unplug the alternator, do you mean the plug on the top ???

Os8472
17-10-2011, 22:06
Had a similar issue when I first went efi on mine, check the injector feed is on the ignition side, same with the coil pack and ecu feeds

TNT ANDY
18-10-2011, 06:38
Had a similar issue when I first went efi on mine, check the injector feed is on the ignition side, same with the coil pack and ecu feeds

Will have a look tonight Olski - cheers

markey b
18-10-2011, 08:09
mine does the same, i think its due to my proximity sensor on the alarm...

i just put a kill switch next to battery in the boot so when i leave it for weeks at a time i just switch it off

TNT ANDY
18-10-2011, 09:20
Hi Mark, I did buy one myself, but this feels like cheating. I would like to know where it's going. I may still put one in anyway as ao additional security device.

markey b
18-10-2011, 10:07
Hi Mark, I did buy one myself, but this feels like cheating. I would like to know where it's going. I may still put one in anyway as ao additional security device.

its cheating but it works :) no point going any further into mine as i use it one day a month :laugh:

TNT ANDY
18-10-2011, 21:09

Hi Oli - good try - no cigar - had a max of 0.05mv at terminals of coil pack to grnd and also injector to grnd. Thanks for the suggestion.