PDA

View Full Version : no more boost and hissing sound

jantheeven
16-11-2008, 15:18
I was driving on the motorway just now... 5th gear... wanted to overtake a car, but also wanted to have some fun ;)... so I shifted back to 4th, put my foot down... and then *POP*... something popped and after that the turbo hardly spooled up any more. Also a hissing sound when it's trying to spool up. Dump valve gone? Or just a ripped diaphragm? (don't have tools where I am right now to check it myself but I want to know ;)!)

Mart
16-11-2008, 15:22
If the engine idle is ok, it's something pre-carb...

As you say, could be a split dv diapragm.

Could also be a boost pipe partially off or split.

Intercooler split.

Carb elbow come loose.

jantheeven
16-11-2008, 15:24
Yeah idle is fine... and everything is still attached properly and no visible splits... I'll take the dv off tomorrow to check it :agree:

Mart
16-11-2008, 15:28
Never under-estimate a boost hose being split even when it looks bob on ;)

Andrew Cooke
16-11-2008, 15:28
don't drive it until you fix it, the turbo will be spinning it's cahones off trying to pressurise the planet.

Scoff
16-11-2008, 15:35
don't drive it until you fix it, the turbo will be spinning it's cahones off trying to pressurise the planet.

just aswell he doesn't have a GT55, we'd all be dead :eek:

jantheeven
16-11-2008, 16:08
hmmm... I did drive on to my destination for about 20 miles on the motorway... but not fast and I shifted up around 2.5k revs... could that have caused damage you think? :crap:

Andrew Cooke
16-11-2008, 16:11
hmmm... I did drive on to my destination for about 20 miles on the motorway... but not fast and I shifted up around 2.5k revs... could that have caused damage you think? :crap:

it'll have taken a few 000 kms off the life of the turbo, but if you're not smoking it's unlikely that you've done any immediate damage.:smokin:

jantheeven
16-11-2008, 16:15
:cry: I do need to get home in a few days... Normally the turbo doesn't start spinning below 2.5k revs... if I just stay under that, it shouldn't be a problem... right? :crap:

Andrew Cooke
16-11-2008, 16:23
:cry: I do need to get home in a few days... Normally the turbo doesn't start spinning below 2.5k revs... if I just stay under that, it shouldn't be a problem... right? :crap:

why not just fix it? take the boost pipes and intercooler off so that you can give everything a good look over. If it's the dump valve just remove it and block the hole with a suitable sized thing. It'll take you about 10 mins to sort.

jantheeven
16-11-2008, 16:26
so very true......... ;)

jantheeven
16-11-2008, 16:43
Right... checked the intercooler and it's fine... boost pipes are still in one piece... so it must be the dv. But I can't really check it because I don't have the right tools to open it where I am now :p Now all I have to do is find a suitable blanking thing for the hole in the boost pipe and the vacuum tube...

Andrew Cooke
16-11-2008, 17:05
Right... checked the intercooler and it's fine... boost pipes are still in one piece... so it must be the dv. But I can't really check it because I don't have the right tools to open it where I am now :p Now all I have to do is find a suitable blanking thing for the hole in the boost pipe and the vacuum tube...

can you blow through the DV?

screwdriver, champagne cork.... bound to be something lying around for blocking a hole up.

jantheeven
16-11-2008, 17:07
I'm such a ****er... when I wanted to reinstall the boost pipes I noticed that there was a hole in the pipe at the arrow's position... and there used to be a blanking plug due to removal of the anti perc fan and the hose that goes into the boost pipe:
(old picture)

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g88/jantheeven/oops.jpg

It just popped out... :ashamed:

Andrew Cooke
16-11-2008, 17:12
nice...

where you use the thin yellow pipes do you have a tyrap, or anything to hold them in place? I found mine leaked at about 1 bar.

jantheeven
16-11-2008, 17:49
Oh really? Hmmm... I'm running 1.4 bar now, so I'll make sure to fasten them somehow. Thanks :agree:

5teve L
16-11-2008, 18:26
I'm such a ****er... when I wanted to reinstall the boost pipes I noticed that there was a hole in the pipe at the arrow's position... and there used to be a blanking plug due to removal of the anti perc fan and the hose that goes into the boost pipe:
(old picture)

What are you like Jan :laugh:

HaarlemPaul
17-11-2008, 13:23
I was driving on the motorway just now... 5th gear... wanted to overtake a car, but also wanted to have some fun ;)... so I shifted back to 4th, put my foot down... and then *POP*... something popped and after that the turbo hardly spooled up any more. Also a hissing sound when it's trying to spool up. Dump valve gone? Or just a ripped diaphragm? (don't have tools where I am right now to check it myself but I want to know ;)!)

Hoi Jan, ging jij gisteren naar de RTC afsluitmeeting?

Actually, I just read the thread about the conked Raider, so I'll type in English...:p

Did you go to the Renault tuning club meeting yesterday? If so, how was it?
I wanted to go along but had too much work to do. It was 3pm by time I finished. Were there still people there at that point?

jantheeven
18-11-2008, 06:55
Hi Paul... yes I went to the RTC meeting on Sunday. Weather was a bit crappy so that was probably the reason for the meager amount of people there. I talked to a few people, but I had no idea which car belonged to who :crap:. People did like my 5 and took a lot of pictures of it, especially of the engine bay. There were some interesting and exclusive cars and at some point, a few Belgian Renault club members showed up too with there horrible cars :laugh:. I left around 3pm... I was cold and didn't really enjoy myself, so that was it for me. ;) You can probably see the pictures on the RTC site soon... :agree:

OUTLAW
18-11-2008, 08:46
I was driving on the motorway just now... 5th gear... wanted to overtake a car, but also wanted to have some fun ;)... so I shifted back to 4th, put my foot down... and then *POP*... something popped and after that the turbo hardly spooled up any more. Also a hissing sound when it's trying to spool up. Dump valve gone? Or just a ripped diaphragm? (don't have tools where I am right now to check it myself but I want to know ;)!)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5FWFBu4K_k ??

soapymech
18-11-2008, 09:42
sounds like charge pipe split or disconnected .

jantheeven
18-11-2008, 10:36
Problem is already solved mate... but thanks anyway! ;)

(old picture)

jantheeven
18-11-2008, 15:13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5FWFBu4K_k ??

:cry:

I'm glad I got rid of the anti perc fan a long time ago!