PDA

View Full Version : Not charging - advice needed

Renault 5 GT Turbo
05-10-2011, 21:10
For a couple of months, my car has the battery light faintly lit when I start it from cold, it goes away when I rev the engine and completely after a few minutes of running.

The battery, starter and alternator belt were new about 10 months ago, the alternator is a refurbished one.

Any ideas?

Connectors on the alternator do not appear corroded at all.

car.crash
05-10-2011, 21:24
take a voltage reading off the battery when the cars running, should be around 13.5 iirc.

Renault 5 GT Turbo
05-10-2011, 21:56
take a voltage reading off the battery when the cars running, should be around 13.5 iirc.

I would take the voltage only the car will not start as it has drained the battery. I jump started it a couple of days ago but it has now run the battery down again.

I checked the tension of the alternator belt and it was taut so defiantly not slipping.

Can anyone explain the circuit between the alternator, starter, ignition, earth and battery in simple terms? I checked the earths at both places on the bulkhead and they appear to be good.

I have ordered an earth from mike to go from battery to bulkhead.

Anyone know how to test the alternator?

J$£5GTT
05-10-2011, 23:49
bad connections,duff cell in battery...

Dave Reed
06-10-2011, 17:28
I'd say check the 'connector of death' behined the passenger side head light

Renault 5 GT Turbo
06-10-2011, 18:21
I'm going to try using a jump lead to replace the earths one by one to determine which connection is at fault.

car.crash
06-10-2011, 18:33
or you could take some voltage readings and see whats going on. measure the battery with engine off then engine on and let us know your results.

Renault 5 GT Turbo
06-10-2011, 19:44
I'd say check the 'connector of death' behined the passenger side head light

Checked both earth leads, plus leads to the alternator, all seems fine.

I will check the connector mentioned above next.
Also, I seem to recall reading about people experiencing the same symptoms with a duff positive lead to the starter - can this cause the issues I am experiencing?

Renault 5 GT Turbo
06-10-2011, 19:45
Charging the battery now so will measure it with engine off then on.