PDA

View Full Version : my first ever 1/4

jamie_clioGTT
02-10-2011, 21:06
hi all..

did my first ever 1/4 today at shakespeare raceway in stratford..

was very nervous and hot, especially as i had to where a jumper and helmet.

anyway, i run a 16, which i didnt think was too shabby consederin my turbo is cracked all the way through the exhaust housing meaning as soon as i hit boost it starts to drop straight back off boost.

last run she popped out of gear and revved through the roof, i did then slap her into gear and do the 1/4, problem was... alternator belt come off so i ran the 1/4 with no water :ashamed:

she did somewhat overheat at the end and i pushed the car back to pits :laugh:

bled the system and run her up and she lives on.

new turbo and master the starts and im hoping for low 15's.

btw i did beat a new shape civic type r which felt good..

Markey Mark (BD)
02-10-2011, 21:12
Whats your engine spec mate and boost you were running? Gives idea if you hitting right sort of time

jamie_clioGTT
02-10-2011, 21:25
standard engine running about 13 psi on t2 mate. deffinetly could of got it quicker, my reaction times were like .907

i was also nervous as hell lol, shaking like a shi**ing dog i think is the term lol

djinuk
02-10-2011, 21:27
gutted i coudlnt come dude.. albeit would have been in the daily... instead i got to eat chikcen , sausages and cake at my stepdads bday party :)

jamie_clioGTT
02-10-2011, 21:31
it was a good day, frazer got a high 14 i think it was, oh and im sure his is a t25.

Markey Mark (BD)
02-10-2011, 21:34
standard engine running about 13 psi on t2 mate. deffinetly could of got it quicker, my reaction times were like .907

i was also nervous as hell lol, shaking like a shi**ing dog i think is the term lol

Don't worry about reaction times, they don't count towards your times mine are normally 1.4sec :D
The rest are important, your 60ft will determine how well your getting off line.

With little practise at that boost level you should see around the 15.5 mark, with few extra little tweek's you should be able to get it into the high 14's. The Clio is slightly heavier then the 5 so times will be slightly slower at same power levels

jamie_clioGTT
02-10-2011, 21:38
few extra tweeks? lol.. oh right didnt no that about reaction time as this was my 1st time. ended up dumping the clutch far too quickly and was pulling off from about 800rpm.. so much to learn :sad2:

jamie_clioGTT
02-10-2011, 21:39
oh and 2.443 was my best 60 ft

Markey Mark (BD)
02-10-2011, 21:46
few extra tweeks? lol.. oh right didnt no that about reaction time as this was my 1st time. ended up dumping the clutch far too quickly and was pulling off from about 800rpm.. so much to learn :sad2:

Don't worry when i first started i could do any better then 15.5 in a 200bhp car! :laugh: It'll come to you in the end if you intend to do it more often.

Yeah with bit more extra boost and slight carb mod your get bit more power and should start to pull that time down.

If you on road tyres the 60ft not too bad but as say practise will make that better, could do a 2.1-2.2 on road tyres.

jamie_clioGTT
02-10-2011, 21:56
mark thanks alot for your input, greatly appreciated!

i have now installed wideband in it, i tried to set it up but the car just will not run right with a mixture screw! i have to blank mixture port off with some vac pipe and a bolt :laugh:

on boost my afrs are between 11 and 12 but on the down rev it leans right out, think a new carb and a t2/25 are in order then ill try again lol

thanks again.

Markey Mark (BD)
03-10-2011, 19:03
mark thanks alot for your input, greatly appreciated!

i have now installed wideband in it, i tried to set it up but the car just will not run right with a mixture screw! i have to blank mixture port off with some vac pipe and a bolt :laugh:

on boost my afrs are between 11 and 12 but on the down rev it leans right out, think a new carb and a t2/25 are in order then ill try again lol

thanks again.

I think you need to take carb off and see why it doesn't idle with the mixture screw in, you sure theres not a small piece of an old one in there?

On boost is not too bad, want to aim for about 12.1, when you lift off it will tend to lean out abit so don't worry too much about that. Whats of boost driving like?

You should hit a 14 with a T2 mate, best i done on T2 at bar of boost was 14.6 so its possible

d110rkjste
03-10-2011, 19:18
I think you need to take carb off and see why it doesn't idle with the mixture screw in, you sure theres not a small piece of an old one in there?

On boost is not too bad, want to aim for about 12.1, when you lift off it will tend to lean out abit so don't worry too much about that. Whats of boost driving like?

You should hit a 14 with a T2 mate, best i done on T2 at bar of boost was 14.6 so its possible

my reading on the afr got down as the turbo kicks in goes to low 12 then rises up to 13s when fully in. ive got the biggest jets in there an a small air corrector. can anyone help with some ideas?

Markey Mark (BD)
03-10-2011, 19:20
Whats your carb spec mate? Might give idea whats going wrong as those readings aren't right

d110rkjste
03-10-2011, 19:28
Whats your carb spec mate? Might give idea whats going wrong as those readings aren't right

im not too good with the details as my mate built it. but ill try, i think the main jet is a 1.5 as the secondry jet. and got a .9 air corrector in there. the carbs a group a. im thinking it may lean slightly as ive got an adjustable fuel reg which i dont no how its set, dont even no how to set it

Markey Mark (BD)
03-10-2011, 19:33
im not too good with the details as my mate built it. but ill try, i think the main jet is a 1.5 as the secondry jet. and got a .9 air corrector in there. the carbs a group a. im thinking it may lean slightly as ive got an adjustable fuel reg which i dont no how its set, dont even no how to set it

If its grp A then thats ahalf the problem, also running a 1.5 main jet isn't helping much at all that'll be running seriouslt rich off boost. Do you know if the 2nd stage is drill out, its the fix jet in the side of carb? By sounds of it it doesn;t seem to if you running readings like that.
If set up right you should be able to run the standard venturi and standard main and just mod the enrichment side of the carb with the ac jet and see it fuel correctly right through the revs

What boost your engine set to?

Worth checking what your fuel pressure is set too, it should be 4psi above boost pressure or above if you have adjusted it up.

d110rkjste
03-10-2011, 19:37
If its grp A then thats ahalf the problem, also running a 1.5 main jet isn't helping much at all that'll be running seriouslt rich off boost. Do you know if the 2nd stage is drill out, its the fix jet in the side of carb? By sounds of it it doesn;t seem to if you running readings like that.
If set up right you should be able to run the standard venturi and standard main and just mod the enrichment side of the carb with the ac jet and see it fuel correctly right through the revs

What boost your engine set to?

Worth checking what your fuel pressure is set too, it should be 4psi above boost pressure or above if you have adjusted it up.

well for the next rolling road i wanna run around the 25 psi mark. suppose im gonn ahve to take it off and mess around with a few ive got although may need to be on here for lots of help!!!

Markey Mark (BD)
03-10-2011, 19:43
If your running lean now i would sort carb out before even attempting to run 25psi on the rollers, check jet sozes and make neccessary changes and also check fuel pressure going to the carb.
Once done take for drive and see what readings are like

I would recommend loosing the large venturi body though ;)

d110rkjste
03-10-2011, 20:00
If your running lean now i would sort carb out before even attempting to run 25psi on the rollers, check jet sozes and make neccessary changes and also check fuel pressure going to the carb.
Once done take for drive and see what readings are like

I would recommend loosing the large venturi body though ;)

nar i wouldnt run 25 as it is now. i ran 18 last time on the rollers and since putting the air corrector in its has gone lower, but the 13 is way to high.

Markey Mark (BD)
03-10-2011, 20:03
nar i wouldnt run 25 as it is now. i ran 18 last time on the rollers and since putting the air corrector in its has gone lower, but the 13 is way to high.

Pull the enrichment body off and check size of the 2nd stage jet, i get feeling thats too small. Also i would really fit smaller main and standard size venturi

d110rkjste
03-10-2011, 20:05
Pull the enrichment body off and check size of the 2nd stage jet, i get feeling thats too small. Also i would really fit smaller main and standard size venturi

im sure the 2nd stage is 1.5, does this sound right?

Markey Mark (BD)
03-10-2011, 20:09
If it was i would be seeing it running mega rich, its worth checking though mate doesn't take too long.
Are you sure its the 2nd stage jet been done and not the removeable 1st stage?

d110rkjste
03-10-2011, 20:16
If it was i would be seeing it running mega rich, its worth checking though mate doesn't take too long.
Are you sure its the 2nd stage jet been done and not the removeable 1st stage?

i think its both, its been on an off that many times i cant keep up but im almost 100% thats what on it now. although would the cam and head ive got on make any difference to this? im running a head from k tec and a piper 300 rally cam

Markey Mark (BD)
03-10-2011, 20:21
i think its both, its been on an off that many times i cant keep up but im almost 100% thats what on it now. although would the cam and head ive got on make any difference to this? im running a head from k tec and a piper 300 rally cam

So both 1st and 2nd stage are 1.5mm? That can't be right your car would be running so rich.
No those parts wouldn't make the car run lean like that, i would say pull carb off an check all jets so you know exactly whats in there

Check fuel pressure going to carb too, what fuel pump you got on there also?

d110rkjste
03-10-2011, 20:23
So both 1st and 2nd stage are 1.5mm? That can't be right your car would be running so rich.
No those parts wouldn't make the car run lean like that, i would say pull carb off an check all jets so you know exactly whats in there

Check fuel pressure going to carb too, what fuel pump you got on there also?

ive got a uprated one from cbg or what ever its called. ill have to have another look over the carb double check the jets out