PDA

View Full Version : oil pressure gauge prob

Bunje
27-09-2011, 19:47
hi there
after getting my r5 ive noticed a few things that are not right. i have an oil pressure gauge looks like some chavvy make or something but anyway when i start the car the pressure is up at around 100 psi and it drops once the car is warm to about 30 psi. ive taken the gauge out and found that its an electrical gauge. am i right in thinking that mechanical is better for oil pressure if so and i change the gauge it has been wired in to some wires behind the dash board there is a green a pink and a solid white wire the solid white goes up behing the closk somewhere so am i right in thinking that the gauge goes to 100 psi because it is measuring oil level at the beggining and then dropping to the pressure reading its very confusing ill get a pick of the wires tommorow just wondered if anyone could help
cheers

Adam 005
27-09-2011, 20:15
The pressure will drop when oil comes up to temp.That said 30psi is about right when warm at idle and should rise to about 60 psi above 2500rpm .At what rpm are you taking the readings from the gauge.:)

Bunje
27-09-2011, 21:52
The readings are just from idle. The car has too many niggly problems to drive it at the mo

Adam 005
28-09-2011, 00:20
The readings are just from idle. The car has too many niggly problems to drive it at the mo

you will only need to rev the engine up as the pump works of engine speed.

Bunje
28-09-2011, 06:50
oh ok mate ill see what happens then. am i still better when i change the gauge to go mechanical

Adam 005
28-09-2011, 09:39
I take it the gauge on the origanl clocks is broken then?A capillarie(mechanical) type pressure gauge would be better.To be honest the readings you have seem o.k for idle speed.

Bunje
28-09-2011, 11:27
i havent had the car long to be honest and everything seems like its been messed with in some way or other. the standard gauges i presume arent pluged in so to speak so im just trying to feel my way around the mess and jobs i have to do to sort the problems out thanks for your help