PDA

View Full Version : Clutch for track?

Fordy
27-09-2011, 18:18
My clutch is slipping 10 days before a track day :cry:

Its a green box valeo its done 3x 20minute taster sessions and various daily driving

I've just ordered another green box clutch from mike which should be here thursday, i cannot say how much he has saved my life. This is to get me through the trackday on the 7th of october

Now i cant help but think that these green box clutchs cannot handle track abuise :confused:

So should i be saving up for a proper paddle clutch for when the next valeo starts to slip? I'm not running a big spec either just a stock t2 at 16-18psi peak with fueling in 11's so i'm guessing 140ishbhp at best

What clutchs do people have in their track 5's?

RussellT
27-09-2011, 18:24
IMO something doesnt stack up there. I presume your not driving with your foot on the clutch pedal.

I use a Volvo clutch and not had a problem including competition driving at 20psi
I have not had one slip but tend to change them whenever the engine was out for other reasons.

I did have a paddle clutch years ago before I did speed events and it didnt last long. I wouldnt recomend one.

Fordy
27-09-2011, 18:34
only issue i did have was the clutch cable was tight on the fork, i found just now that the pedal stop had been pikey'd with rubber blocks to make the pedal sit lower :rolleyes:
so its ridden the clutch itself from not fully releasing

i did wondered why the clutch stank after the last few track tasters but thought it was my driving on track that made it :crap:

i'll see how long the next one lasts but i can't see it lasting my planned 1 full track day a month may have to go paddle and stop using it as a daily :(

Adam 005
27-09-2011, 20:20
it might pay to have the fly wheel refaced whilst you have it apart.:)

The new Bill J
27-09-2011, 20:27
The Volvo Valeo clutch in my car has done god knows how many track days (well over 3k miles worth), and there's never been a hint of slippage :)

I remember once upon a time, when a few people seemed to have issues with the Volvo clutches slipping shortly after being fitted, but then sorting themselves out. Although I think that might have been with the Sachs clutches, not the Valeos.

Fordy
27-09-2011, 20:36
hmm well i'll be driving it daily till thursday see if it sorts itself

It holds fine through 1st to 4th as soon as you hit 5th between 3-4k rpm it slips

tempted to turn the boost down to actuator pressure and do the trackday
or
work through the night thursday and friday morning and possibly sunday so i can bed the clutch in through the week ready for the track day

Decisions decisions :scratch:

Adam 005
27-09-2011, 20:37
I had a sachs clutch silped loads around 18 psi.My valeo clutch has just started sliping been in the car for 4 years done a few 1/4 mile runs and many road miles.

Eugein Offord
27-09-2011, 21:03
what young Bill says is so true.......... i had a mega slip on a new valeo volvo clutch from gsf, at Santa pod after about five runs... years ago..................... 2 members came up told me.. said, it had happened to them and on the way home the clutch was biting harder than before.. and the clutch went on to out live the engine and car..............:)

at 20psi

Woznaldo
28-09-2011, 08:15
Mini hijack.

Do GSF still sell the Green Box Valeo clutch? When I was in UK at the end of July I popped into GSF in Slough and they couldn't find one for me or that it exists?