PDA

View Full Version : front mount intercooler pipe run..??

raj
15-11-2008, 20:16
as my build is nearing completion, i have one last job left to do. and that being making a pipe run for the front mount intercooler.

now the turbo to i.c run i can sort myself.

im just stumped on how ill route the carb to i.c run :confused:

i have no space to go over the alternator as i have an inline oil stat sitting there.
i cant see the pipe work getting inbetween the chassis and alternator belt either.!

the only idea i have thought of is if i drill a large enough hole just behind the o/s headlight for the pipework to pass through and reach the i.c with a few bends!

any other ideas welcome.

here are some pics of the engine bay -

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/R5_GTT/DSC04372.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/R5_GTT/DSC04365.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/R5_GTT/DSC04368.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/R5_GTT/DSC04366.jpg

Brigsy
15-11-2008, 20:24
Through the drivers side inner wing might be your only route by the looks of it, no room in the usual spot.

raj
15-11-2008, 20:28
Through the drivers side inner wing might be your only route by the looks of it, no room in the usual spot.

are you thinking of a spefic area on the inner wing? as i can only see it being possible at just behind the headlight. i dont want the pipework ending up being rubbed by the wheel.!!

Ross99
15-11-2008, 20:32
raj can you do a step by step of this please photo wise, i have the same core and pipe work ready but stuffed, as it just looks to tight everywhere

raj
15-11-2008, 20:36
raj can you do a step by step of this please photo wise, i have the same core and pipe work ready but stuffed, as it just looks to tight everywhere

ill do my best, but cant promise when it'll be done. i always take photos while rebuilding anything as a reference , you just have to bare with me :)

Kraig
15-11-2008, 20:39
What radiator is that?

Brigsy
15-11-2008, 20:55
are you thinking of a spefic area on the inner wing? as i can only see it being possible at just behind the headlight. i dont want the pipework ending up being rubbed by the wheel.!!

Just behind the headlamp raj, try a dummy run with some foam lagging with a bit of stiff wire, see if it clears the wheel ok. Ive seen a few done the same so must be tight but do-able:)

Mudslinger
15-11-2008, 21:01
re possition the oil cooler and maybe try moving the radiator along abit

infact it looks like the radiator is pretty big , is it really needed ??

Andrew Cooke
15-11-2008, 21:03
through the bonnet, across the bonnet, around the outside of the grill, and back through the bumper. Mad Max style, you know you want to ;)

raj
15-11-2008, 21:04
Just behind the headlamp raj, try a dummy run with some foam lagging with a bit of stiff wire, see if it clears the wheel ok. Ive seen a few done the same so must be tight but do-able:)

ok kool,

actually im sure there a guy on here that has his pipe run through the wing?? he crashed his 5 a while back and had grey and orange turbines?? he sent me pics but i lost them alongwith everything else on my knackred laptop:rolleyes:

im wanting to use as much hard pipe as possible too.

raj
15-11-2008, 21:06
What radiator is that?

its a extra van 1.9 diesel radiator,
a very tight fit even with the 16" slimline fan.

raj
15-11-2008, 21:11
re possition the oil cooler and maybe try moving the radiator along abit

infact it looks like the radiator is pretty big , is it really needed ??

cant move the rad in any direction, as for is it really needed? probably not but i just fancied to do something different :) looks like you know something about doing something different dont you mud:D

raj
15-11-2008, 21:13
through the bonnet, across the bonnet, around the outside of the grill, and back through the bumper. Mad Max style, you know you want to ;)

oh hell yeah. fuk it im doing that :laugh: :scared:

Mudslinger
15-11-2008, 21:18
cant move the rad in any direction, as for is it really needed? probably not but i just fancied to do something different :) looks like you know something about doing something different dont you mud:D

LoL :laugh:

yeah but if space is becoming an issue replacing the standard rad could be an easy alternative .

Im still using oe rad but with seperate oil cooler and i find mine still runs a little to cool which is something you dont normally say with a 5 ..

raj
15-11-2008, 21:22
LoL :laugh:

yeah but if space is becoming an issue replacing the standard rad could be an easy alternative .

Im still using oe rad but with seperate oil cooler and i find mine still runs a little to cool which is something you dont normally say with a 5 ..

cant do that mate, it'll cost me more as i dont have a std rad/fan anymore and i dont think the 16"spal fan will fit to the std rad?maybe wrong though.

plus anyway, its defeating the object.! i want this rad anyway:D its different and i like it.:)

Mudslinger
16-11-2008, 08:38
cant do that mate, it'll cost me more as i dont have a std rad/fan anymore and i dont think the 16"spal fan will fit to the std rad?maybe wrong though.

plus anyway, its defeating the object.! i want this rad anyway:D its different and i like it.:)

Looks like ull be running the I/C pipe work the way Mr cooke suggested then:)

raj
16-11-2008, 11:52
i dont think i'll move the oil cooler, but i might look into re-routing the oil cooler pipework to come in from the opposite side of the rad..?

maybe this might give me just enough clearance to run the i.c pipe run over the alternator??

for those that have the i.c pipework running over the alternator...... did you have to fit a shorter belt and a campus crank pulley to get abit more clearance.? or is there just enough space without these.?

i plan on using 2" piping

Mudslinger
16-11-2008, 12:11
i use a shorter alti belt to give a tad more space , ive been looking for a pic of where i mounted my oil cooler to show you , but cant find 1 , its basically mounted in the wheel arch behind where the fog light would be ,needs a little work to make a couple of brackets and some sort of protection from stones but it sits in there perfect .

Oh and be carefull how you run any braided hoses as the have a tendacy to eat through anything that it rubs against .

Mudslinger
16-11-2008, 12:26
Found a pic :)
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=145&pictureid=2517

gttjames
16-11-2008, 12:42
i use a shorter alti belt to give a tad more space , ive been looking for a pic of where i mounted my oil cooler to show you , but cant find 1 , its basically mounted in the wheel arch behind where the fog light would be ,needs a little work to make a couple of brackets and some sort of protection from stones but it sits in there perfect .

Oh and be carefull how you run any braided hoses as the have a tendacy to eat through anything that it rubs against .

what belt did you use thats shorter?

Mudslinger
16-11-2008, 12:53
what belt did you use thats shorter?

most motor factors will sell belts all different lengths

Andrew Cooke
16-11-2008, 12:58
most motor factors will sell belts all different lengths

indeed, the part number is usually the length in mm

Markey Mark (BD)
16-11-2008, 14:53
Raj mate, i've run the intercooler pipe through the inner arch just behind the headlight on mine, makes it easier to route from the intercooler to inside the engine bay. Only trouble you might come across is getting it over all the pipework you have around the waterpump area, i got round it with my old 5 by repositioning a few things.
Its a bit easier with my engine now as the throttle body is right next to the headlight now so nice short run.

raj
16-11-2008, 14:59
im assuming that you can only go so far with a shoter belt? im sure the gap is around 10mm from the back of the alternator to the engine block.?

raj
16-11-2008, 15:33
Raj mate, i've run the intercooler pipe through the inner arch just behind the headlight on mine, makes it easier to route from the intercooler to inside the engine bay. Only trouble you might come across is getting it over all the pipework you have around the waterpump area, i got round it with my old 5 by repositioning a few things.
Its a bit easier with my engine now as the throttle body is right next to the headlight now so nice short run.

mark, you dont happen to have any pics of it do you? im wanting to know how close to the headlamp you drilled?
also can i ask what you used to cut the section out of the arch? ive got a small angle grinder and cant see that doing the job from the top or bottom:sad2: maybe a hole cutter.?

Markey Mark (BD)
16-11-2008, 15:47
mark, you dont happen to have any pics of it do you? im wanting to know how close to the headlamp you drilled?
also can i ask what you used to cut the section out of the arch? ive got a small angle grinder and cant see that doing the job from the top or bottom:sad2: maybe a hole cutter.?

I have but oi think its on my old computer, got to swap them alll over at some point.

I used an air-saw so i cut a nice square out of the panel, i cut it up to the headlight panel.

raj
16-11-2008, 15:55
I have but oi think its on my old computer, got to swap them alll over at some point.

I used an air-saw so i cut a nice square out of the panel, i cut it up to the headlight panel.

if only i had an air saw :cry:

Markey Mark (BD)
16-11-2008, 15:58
If you go buy a hole saw you could do it, i'm sure they sell one about 2"-2.25" from a tool suppilers.

Andrew Cooke
16-11-2008, 16:06
the metal is so thin there you can probably cut it out with your nail clippers.

raj
16-11-2008, 16:19
If you go buy a hole saw you could do it, i'm sure they sell one about 2"-2.25" from a tool suppilers.

ill give the circular a try first and see how it goes. if not then its hire a reciprocating saw to finish the job :)

mark i can see the cutout youve done on your red 5. from looking at it the hole looks too far to the outside?? i would have thought the closer to the engine side the better as it would keep the pipework further away from the wheels..?

Markey Mark (BD)
16-11-2008, 16:50
Where i have cut the hole there is plenty of clearence between the wheel and the pipework, to be honest it doesn't matter where you cut it weather its closest to the chassis leg or the arch just make sure you cut it as close as you can to the headlight.
I have modified the panel below the headlight too so it gives even more clearence and also makes it possible to have a straight boost pipe run rather then having a bend under there. I haven't got a pic of that but can get one for you if you want.

raj
16-11-2008, 17:06
Where i have cut the hole there is plenty of clearence between the wheel and the pipework, to be honest it doesn't matter where you cut it weather its closest to the chassis leg or the arch just make sure you cut it as close as you can to the headlight.
I have modified the panel below the headlight too so it gives even more clearence and also makes it possible to have a straight boost pipe run rather then having a bend under there. I haven't got a pic of that but can get one for you if you want.

yes mate, if you can get me a pic of the modded area that would be great :agree: thanks.

Markey Mark (BD)
16-11-2008, 17:18
yes mate, if you can get me a pic of the modded area that would be great :agree: thanks.

Will do mate, if you can wait what i will do is mock up the pipe run on the car next weekend so it shows you abit better what i did plus it shows you how it will look too.

I'll also try get the old photo's of my blue car too with the intercooler pipework too to show you it with the C1J fitted.

raj
16-11-2008, 17:20
Will do mate, if you can wait what i will do is mock up the pipe run on the car next weekend so it shows you abit better what i did plus it shows you how it will look too.

I'll also try get the old photo's of my blue car too with the intercooler pipework too to show you it with the C1J fitted.

ok mate will wait for your reply:agree: just dont go and forget :cry:

Markey Mark (BD)
16-11-2008, 17:28
ok mate will wait for your reply:agree: just dont go and forget :cry:

:D I'll try not too, i need to get the 5 out the garage anyway so i'll do it then.

Mike Wilson@ PCS
16-11-2008, 17:43
plenty off space for 50mm pipe beside alternator with keeping original sized belt

gttjames
16-11-2008, 17:53
indeed, the part number is usually the length in mm

got any links to some, or better still part number?

youngscottie
16-11-2008, 18:55
it should fithttp://www.rtoc.org/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=498&stc=1&d=1226861611

raj
16-11-2008, 19:23
erm if you re-read my question/or look at my pics youll see i have no space to run it at the side of the alternator as my rad is right up against it. :)

im going to attack the wheel arch tomorrow and hope for the best :scared: :)

Andrew Cooke
16-11-2008, 19:33
if you make a round hole you could consider swaging it, it'll stop the metal being all floppy.

http://www.motorsport-tools.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18_246&products_id=822&zenid=9119b1a43999bb1799415ed452244982

you could try making a gizmo out of wood.

raj
16-11-2008, 19:50
if you make a round hole you could consider swaging it, it'll stop the metal being all floppy.

http://www.motorsport-tools.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18_246&products_id=822&zenid=9119b1a43999bb1799415ed452244982

you could try making a gizmo out of wood.

that would make it look good, but think ill opt for using rubber o-ring to keep it tidy. i dont tink a hole will make the metal flimsy around there as they'll be plenty of metal left around the hole.

rs250nut
16-11-2008, 21:49
as my build is nearing completion, i have one last job left to do. and that being making a pipe run for the front mount intercooler.

now the turbo to i.c run i can sort myself.

im just stumped on how ill route the carb to i.c run :confused:

i have no space to go over the alternator as i have an inline oil stat sitting there.
i cant see the pipe work getting inbetween the chassis and alternator belt either.!

the only idea i have thought of is if i drill a large enough hole just behind the o/s headlight for the pipework to pass through and reach the i.c with a few bends!

any other ideas welcome.

here are some pics of the engine bay -

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/R5_GTT/DSC04372.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/R5_GTT/DSC04365.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/R5_GTT/DSC04368.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/R5_GTT/DSC04366.jpg

That looks the dogs under the bonnet Raj good work matey, what intercooler is that as I have the same one?

gttjames
16-11-2008, 21:55
it should fithttp://www.rtoc.org/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=498&stc=1&d=1226861611
That looks good mate, what size is that intercooler and where did you get it from? did you have to loose much on the front bumper and can you still keep the foggy's?

raj
16-11-2008, 22:03
That looks the dogs under the bonnet Raj good work matey, what intercooler is that as I have the same one?

if you have the same one you tell me :D

rs250nut
16-11-2008, 22:12
if you have the same one you tell me :D

If I knew I would not have asked:rolleyes:It came with the car I brought

Big Steve - Raider
16-11-2008, 22:14
Looks like a heave ho intercooler?? :confused:

raj
16-11-2008, 22:17
If I knew I would not have asked:rolleyes:It came with the car I brought

jeez bud, dont get stroppy:rolleyes: its cooler i bought off ebay. i cant remember the seller sorry, its exactly the same as this one though i.c (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-LARGE-Intercooler-Universal-780mmx300mmx76mm_W0QQitemZ350123384901QQcmdZViewIt em?hash=item350123384901&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318)

raj
16-11-2008, 22:31
Looks like a heave ho intercooler?? :confused:
heave ho:confused: = evo..?

Big Steve - Raider
16-11-2008, 22:35
Yeah sorry, thats a Mart-ism :rolleyes:

Mart
17-11-2008, 09:49
Found a pic :)
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=145&pictureid=2517

Interesting i/c outlet run...

Mudslinger
17-11-2008, 10:01
suppose it is , i wasnt that happy about it when i saw it but it doesnt seem to be a problem , charge temps didnt go above 25 on the rollers , so im guessing on the road it will be even cooler ...

the angle of the turn from the i/c outlet looks alot worse than it really is

Mart
17-11-2008, 10:05
I wasn't knocking it. I just wondered why it went like that, rather than say keeping the flow smooth by having the pipe come up where the anti-perc fan sits, and into the plenum that way?

What's the boost cct pressure drop like?

Mudslinger
17-11-2008, 10:22
I wasn't knocking it. I just wondered why it went like that, rather than say keeping the flow smooth by having the pipe come up where the anti-perc fan sits, and into the plenum that way?

What's the boost cct pressure drop like?

i dont know..

but that bend is actually just as smooth as say a 90 would be , it just looks tighter than it actually is

Markey Mark (BD)
22-11-2008, 16:35
Here's the pic's for you Raj, i remembered to do it today:D

raj
22-11-2008, 17:30
ahh nice one mate:agree: glad you remembered as i forgot :D

i see what you mean about modding that bit so you can run a straight pipe.

got to admit, i alway laugh when i see that intercooler:laugh:, peeps say mines big but your is just ginooooooooormous:D what intercooler is that exactly?

Markey Mark (BD)
22-11-2008, 17:40
ahh nice one mate:agree: glad you remembered as i forgot :D

i see what you mean about modding that bit so you can run a straight pipe.

got to admit, i alway laugh when i see that intercooler:laugh:, peeps say mines big but your is just ginooooooooormous:D what intercooler is that exactly?

Its a THS item which i got off ebay, got it cheap:)

Adam L
22-11-2008, 18:30
Wow, that intercooler is HUGE, Mark...:D

minty83
22-11-2008, 18:36
raj, looks like the same size as my old i/c
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=291&pictureid=2438

Markey Mark (BD)
22-11-2008, 18:36
Wow, that intercooler is HUGE, Mark...:D

It is alittle big mate:D

Adam L
22-11-2008, 18:38
I've got one of those in my garage, off my Pulsar, they're sold under a variety of names... They're all cheap import items though, but seem to work well...

Markey Mark (BD)
22-11-2008, 18:42
Yeah i think this one is too mate but agree with you in that they work well, i've used this with my C1J and worked a treat with that so should work well with the new lump

A N D Y
22-11-2008, 19:00
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Nice work there Raj...Like it! :cooter: :cool: I cant be of much help though as mines grill mounted. :crap:

raj
22-11-2008, 19:33
hmm in a way now that my i.c is fitted i wish i would have gone for a smaller one as theres not much ground to cooler clearance.
on the plus side ive fitted this cooler in a way so i dont need to chop the bumper to bits.

im still yet to buy the i.c pipes/hoses and already ive had an offer to buy the car and ive not even put it up for sale anywhere yet.:) i may take the offer as money is much needed.:(

Andrew Cooke
22-11-2008, 19:38
hmm in a way now that my i.c is fitted i wish i would have gone for a smaller one as theres not much ground to cooler clearance.
on the plus side ive fitted this cooler in a way so i dont need to chop the bumper to bits.

im still yet to buy the i.c pipes/hoses and already ive had an offer to buy the car and ive not even put it up for sale anywhere yet.:) i may take the offer as money is much needed.:(

since you're putting it together to sell not keep, if the offer's good take the cash :cool: I realise the car's almost finished, but I also know how much work/money it takes to go from almost finished to done.

raj
22-11-2008, 20:00
since you're putting it together to sell not keep, if the offer's good take the cash :cool: I realise the car's almost finished, but I also know how much work/money it takes to go from almost finished to done.

i hoped to keep it but times have changed and money not plentyful anymore, so i will more than likely take the offer as it was a decent offer. to be honest the guy is gaggin for the car after seeing it and wants it asap lol.

i personally want to pipe up the i.c before i sell it though so i can see how the car performs. im actually thinking of including my 460 turbo in the sale for a tad bit more :).

raj
20-03-2009, 21:27
oookay, ive not even attempted to sort this pipe run out yet as ive had far more important things to deal with.
however ill soon be back on it as ive sorted out a route for the pipework.

Question.
what colour goes with orange:scratch: i fancy having the boost pipes a different colour to the rest of the pipe work but cant imagine what colour would pair up nice with orange:scratch: or should i stick with orange throughout?

Misky
20-03-2009, 21:29
Black would go well, but is that too boring?

raj
20-03-2009, 21:38
Black would go well, but is that too boring?

no not black, im thinking blue? was also thinking yellow but i think that'll be a tad too much epileptic :scared:

Brigsy
20-03-2009, 21:44
Id stick with orange, keep it simple. Another colour will clash with it imo.

Maka
21-03-2009, 11:08

ooooooo that never once crossed my mind when i was doing mine.

time for a rework!

Stuart Clark
22-03-2009, 22:50

Prob is.....i have tried this rad and due to it being a non cross-flow design the water passes through it twice as fast as it travels right to left, north to south within the core, i found the best oe rad to be the clio 1.9d rad as it retains the crossflow design and is substantially thicker and wider than the gt type, your 16" fan would fit this also, just a thought....i only know this through my own trial and error!
:)

raj
22-03-2009, 23:12

Prob is.....i have tried this rad and due to it being a non cross-flow design the water passes through it twice as fast as it travels right to left, north to south within the core, i found the best oe rad to be the clio 1.9d rad as it retains the crossflow design and is substantially thicker and wider than the gt type, your 16" fan would fit this also, just a thought....i only know this through my own trial and error!

stuart, my prob is sorted now and the rad seems to be doing the job ok:agree:

however im still interested in what your saying about the clio 1.9d rad, is it just the flow of the coolant that is different to the extra van 1.9d rad.? i also notice the clio rad isnt as thick as the extra van rad? visually they both look the same i think?

raj
23-06-2009, 15:58

stuart, what do you mean by non cross flow.?

ive got the mk1 1.9d extra van rad and the mk 1.9d clio rad both sat in front of me, the only difference i can see is that the clio rad isnt as tall.! other than that they both look identical. i thought the clio rad would be thinner but it isnt.

with both rads- you've got the cooling fins, and inbetween the fins you have the thin cooling bars which run left to right. are you saying the std gtt rad has the cooling bars running fom top to bottom.?
:scratch:

James5
23-06-2009, 17:31
I am literally in the process of fitting a FMIC / GMIC I have had to go down the route of fitting a campus pulley and belt (10 x 1140) in order to get my 2.25" pipework to fit as my reducer is on the carb elblow and to be honest it is a tight squeeze was unable to run over the top of the alternator have had to go around it slightly. You can kind of get an idea from the pics attached. I have also been able to keep the OE grill by making some brakets to move the rad further towards the engine a little.

I will put it all together tonight and get a pic with the bumper and grill on, now that my bolt for my mocal sandwich plate has turned up.

Colour wise matey stick with orange or maybe green?

raj
23-06-2009, 19:56
james, im ok on the intercooler side of things now:agree: i have less space then you with me having a big rad, so im using 2" pipework:agree:

i was just asking stuart or anyone in the know what this non cross flow rad thing is? as in post no#73 (http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showpost.php?p=79909&postcount=73)

Stuart Clark
23-06-2009, 23:19
ive got the mk1 1.9d extra van rad and the mk 1.9d clio rad both sat in front of me, the only difference i can see is that the clio rad isnt as tall.! other than that they both look identical. i thought the clio rad would be thinner but it isnt.

:scratch:[/quote]

I think i have got a bit muddled up on the model front....the rad i found not to work was the one where the flow of water goes left to right then down the end tank and accross to the other side again, meaning both inlet and outlet are on the same side. For a given size of rad the water has to flow twice as fast on this type of rad.....

the best ic pipe run i found was behind the headlight as below and this avoids bels, subframe etc and its in front of the inner plastic mudguard so is away from the wheel:)

raj
23-06-2009, 23:27
DOH.!:rolleyes: ok apart from the rad question it seems im having abit of an issue routing the intercooler pipework:scratch:

ive sorted the turbo to i.c side, but its the i.c to carb side thats holding me up:crap:

it seems really tight almost immediately after the i.c and i cant quite suss out how/if i can route it:scratch:
im wanting to go from the carb over and down the front of the alternator and around the subframe to the i.c

ive included some pics of my prob and also the finished turbo to i.c side.

car.crash
23-06-2009, 23:32
raj i would take the pipe up behind the drivers headlight and turn the carb top to point to the drivers headlight too and it will be a nice pipe run without to much cutting to be done and its all hidden.

raj
23-06-2009, 23:51
raj i would take the pipe up behind the drivers headlight and turn the carb top to point to the drivers headlight too and it will be a nice pipe run without to much cutting to be done and its all hidden.

yes ive thought about that as someone has posted a pic of this route earier on:agree:

thing is,im wanting to know how the people that have routed it over and down the front of the alternator have done so.?

tom t
24-06-2009, 00:10
im not 100% how ive done mine at the but i will check 2moro and post up. how mines done if no one else has by then. And you might have a lot less space as youre using a bigger rad. and slightly different piping for it.

i didnt think mine would fit but with a bit of messing i got there in the end.

as i need to check my turbo to I.C pipe run as i changed it slightly the other day and think it might be fouling my engine mount possibley. does that sound possible at all bit of a stupid question i know. it is pretty tight down there though.. cheers:agree:

stuTHC
24-06-2009, 12:47
thing is,im wanting to know how the people that have routed it over and down the front of the alternator have done so.?

Either move the alternator nearer the block or take the pipe run under it and bring it up the side between the alt and rad

Chris Hebden
24-06-2009, 12:54
Either move the alternator nearer the block

Thats what i did! Bought a 10x1075 belt and put a camparse pulley on and it worked a tread! My pipe internal diameter is 51mm (i think)