PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen

Renault 5 GT Turbo
16-09-2011, 01:46
I am thinking of replacing my original windscreen.

If I use my insurance company and get the typical Autoglass or Auto Windscreens turn up, will they be able to get the correct screen (tint wise) and the seals?

Do I have any other options?

Thanks

philg
16-09-2011, 08:15
Not sure on the tint but my was replaced with a universal kit, looks like a solid rubber all the way round instead of that little stick in bit at the bottom.

DaveMayGTT
16-09-2011, 09:48
Last time i did mine on insurance with one of the big companies they checked if i wanted green tint or clear as far as i remember. As said above they also used a universal seal on the outside but be careful as they didnt use any inner seal just a shed load of silicone and after a few months the windscreen had to come out as the outer seal kept coming out on the corners. It was redone with new inner and the same universal outer and its always been fine since.

royz
16-09-2011, 18:54
had mine done the other year getting the tinted one was not a problem

WADDIE
17-09-2011, 16:19
here's a heads up i was on the phone to a windscreen supplier in macclesfield yesterday b'cos i want one for my restoration on my 5... £60!!! in clear, green tint or green tint with a blue sunstrip. :agree: if peeps want any ask for YAN at ARENA WINSCREENS 01625 508129 or mobile 07966551405 just let him know Lee Wadmore gave you his number hope thius helps. :)

Renault 5 GT Turbo
20-12-2011, 14:32
I have just had my original windscreen removed, I was dreading it as I have had a minor water leak which I had determined was definately coming from the base of the screen.

So, expecting the worst, the screen was taken out to reveal a perfect surround! Worries of finding rust were no more! Result.

It turns out the bonding had simply come unstuck at the bottom meaning that under heavy rainfall, water was getting in.

Now just to get a new screen fitted. My insurance company Adrian Flux use AA Windscreens, the earliest they can come to fit it is on the 27th Dec, meaning I am now car less for 7 days!

Pretty unhappy about this as there are local firms able to fit it today but the AA are the only approved company.

Really annoying!

phase i 16 v turbo
20-12-2011, 16:03
I have just had my original windscreen removed, I was dreading it as I have had a minor water leak which I had determined was definately coming from the base of the screen.

So, expecting the worst, the screen was taken out to reveal a perfect surround! Worries of finding rust were no more! Result.

It turns out the bonding had simply come unstuck at the bottom meaning that under heavy rainfall, water was getting in.

Now just to get a new screen fitted. My insurance company Adrian Flux use AA Windscreens, the earliest they can come to fit it is on the 27th Dec, meaning I am now car less for 7 days!

Pretty unhappy about this as there are local firms able to fit it today but the AA are the only approved company.

Really annoying!

That is good news David, I am pleased to here there is no rust. Make sure you give it a good clean before they fit the new one.