PDA

View Full Version : quick question on oil cooling..

jamie_clioGTT
13-09-2011, 22:50
hi all.. me again :wasntme:

was just having a random thought of the day and.... when i fitted my seperate mocal oil cooler to the car where does the cooling come from when im in traffic etc?

i thought that on the original setup, i.e cooler built in to radiator it would assist cooling when the fan come in for water temp..

so now im thinking maybe two small computer fans just to help assist on coolness of oil when at a standstill.

am i talking b**loc*s?

thannks :coffee:

bigdur
13-09-2011, 22:57
Doubt it would be worth it myself.

jamie_clioGTT
14-09-2011, 00:02
i wasnt sure it would be to be honest, just thought it may be a way to keep my oil temps down a little. thanks.

markey b
14-09-2011, 00:15
i wasnt sure it would be to be honest, just thought it may be a way to keep my oil temps down a little. thanks.

i wouldn't have thought that the oil needs to be cooled at idle, as soon as you drive off it starts cooling itself again.

unless you are running a silly engine, fans are just excess weight to lug about

jamie_clioGTT
14-09-2011, 12:12
Ok thanks for the replies.

Chunk
14-09-2011, 15:38
Or you could just mount the oil cooler in front of the radiator, so when the fan kicks in at idle it sucks air through the oil cooler too

Eugein Offord
14-09-2011, 18:39
cold oil is no good.............oil lubricates and water cools............
ive, in the past ran no oil cooling on a track car... with no probs..........:cool:

jamie_clioGTT
15-09-2011, 12:05
thanks for the replies, but shouldnt it be kept at the optimum temperature for that grade of said oil? as surely on a hot day in traffic you end up with extremely thin oil circulating which will be lubricating i admit but it wont be doing the full job of what it should be doing..?

thankyou please.