PDA

View Full Version : welding newbie!

frano81
05-09-2011, 21:24
hi,

i need to do some welding on my five, but i've never done any before! So just a few questions?

i've got replacement inner and outer sills. aesthetically i guess that the inner doesn't matter? and that its just functionality that matters?
but when i cut out the outer sill, should i cut the existing one a bit smaller than the new, or just try and get it bang on?

i'm obviously gonna get some scrap and practice first, make sure i get the right settings, etc.

any help would be appreciated!

Phoenix Autosport
05-09-2011, 21:31
if you havent already done so have a good read of and watch the videos on this site, some realy good tips and info
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

dangerous dave
05-09-2011, 22:55
getting anything bang on its a long and dragged out affair, in some cases it has to be done, in others less so..

you can get some crimps that put a step in the metal, when i had my sill done ages ago the guy did this on the rear flat going up the rear quarter.. he cut the rest to the doorshuts but perhaps could have done it on some of the curve if he had the correct tooling.. i'd expect most people overlap or good bodyshop welders will just cut more out as they can always blend it in being bloody good at what they do..

a diy'er should perhaps work below the sideskirts or he could come unstuck..

me and marc on here just sorted some rot on my 5, some was buttwelded, some was overlapped.. prep is everything but all thats wasted if you blow holes all over it.. i prepped, marc welded, the end result im very happy with for a home welding set up.. if i had paid for all the work id still be happy:agree:

go for it, read up and practice:cool:

car.crash
05-09-2011, 23:25
if you havent already done so have a good read of and watch the videos on this site, some realy good tips and info
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

i can second that, also the sites sponsor weldequip is very helpfull regards your need on what to buy and how to use it.

TNT ANDY
06-09-2011, 06:31
Without a doubt the 2 most important things are mentioned here.

1 - make everything clean, really clean, ie - shiney silver metal.

2 - Practice - don't start welding on your car right away. Get some metal that your going to weld and practice / set up your welder on that before doing the job on the car. This takes a lot of stress out of the whole job.

Stotto
:)