PDA

View Full Version : Cooling Problem

Steevo
01-09-2011, 22:02
Hey guys, I took out my new 5 for the first time today (it's apparently done 500 miles since rebuild) and was on my way to the body shop, anyway that aside, after a few minutes the temperature gauge kept rising and rising over a few minutes, and dropping slightly if i coasted the car. Before it got into the red i pulled the car over and there was no fan on at all and the engine was bloody hot.

I have tried bridging the thermostat connection and the fan spins up fine (thanks Adam005), so there is power there... The coolant is clean and new, as is the oil so i have no reason to believe there is a gasket issue. What should i try next? :confused:

R5TURBORON
01-09-2011, 22:28
It might just have air in the system and need bleeding

Steevo
01-09-2011, 22:36
It might just have air in the system and need bleeding

Thanks, i'm going to try that next:agree:

Dave Reed
01-09-2011, 23:00
Maybe a faulty fan switch also.. Was the rad hot all over? Get a multi meter on the fan switch when its all hot and see if the switch is making.

dangerous dave
02-09-2011, 00:04
relay could be shafted, mine was all corroded.. also had air in the system before which make it bad.. last one was the rad fan wiring on the wrong way round after i re-crimped the wires or something, drove about for weeks with the fans going mental:laugh: still wouldn't overheat..

i honestly wonder how people manage to produce the "renaults overheat" scenario.. i've got them hot, but never had one fail.. :D

Steevo
02-09-2011, 10:41
I'm going to change the radiatior/switch and thermostat then bleed, hopefully that will sort it