PDA

View Full Version : battery tray removal

raj
14-11-2008, 16:45
threw a wobbly today like the guy off the bop it commercial as i cant get the battery tray off:cry:

how exactly do i go about removing the 2 nuts within the cabin.?

ive tried feeling for the nuts but cant find them! would i have to remove the carpet,sound deadening and fuse box to get to the nuts.?

it doesnt help that i can only access through the drivers door, my garage is tiny:crap:

Bigfoot
14-11-2008, 16:53
Ill also like to know this :)

Hoolio
14-11-2008, 17:27
^^^^Ditto, the one thing that needs to be done straight away.

tobester
14-11-2008, 17:51
My bolts were captive on a bar between the two holes, just undid both the visible nuts that were in the bulkhead area, the sound rdeadening even held the bar in place so no arseing about with bolts dropping through, i didn't even venture into the passenger compartment for that one. Have you tried just undoing them? :)

Bigfoot
14-11-2008, 17:54
My bolts were captive on a bar between the two holes, just undid both the visible nuts that were in the bulkhead area, the sound rdeadening even held the bar in place so no arseing about with bolts dropping through, i didn't even venture into the passenger compartment for that one. Have you tried just undoing them? :)

I haven't got nuts in the bulkhead area :(

raj
14-11-2008, 17:55

hang on, thats sounds like yours is back to front:confused:
the bar bit should be in the scuttle area and the captive bolts poke through the bulk head which is then held in place by nuts in the cabin,

phase i 16 v turbo
14-11-2008, 17:58
Have a look this shows how it comes together or apart.

Hope it helps!!

raj
14-11-2008, 18:00
Have a look this shows how it comes together or apart.

Hope it helps!!

i know how it comes apart mate :agree: im just wanting to know how exactly i get to the hidden nuts?

phase i 16 v turbo
14-11-2008, 18:02
If you look at the picture the bar should be inside and the bolts on the outside, so it looks like it was put in the wrong way last time it was changed.

The last one I changed was so badly rusted we used a drimmle and cut the heads off and replaced old for new.

raj
14-11-2008, 18:14
thats strange! ive owned a fair few 5's in my time and all have had the bar in the scuttle are with the bolts pointing into the cabin! ive never seen one with the 2 nuts in the scuttle:confused:

all ive seen is the 2 nuts closest the firewall and the 2 nuts the nexts to the passenger inner wing. the other 2 bulkhead ones have always been in the cabin.

so, i still need to know how to access these 2 nuts?:) :confused:

phase i 16 v turbo
14-11-2008, 18:22
They are up behind the fuse box, you can pull the carpet back then unscrew the fusebox, there is enough slack to let it hang out of the way then you should be able to get on them then.

raj
14-11-2008, 20:29
this has turned out to be the worst job i have ever done on 5 :cry: and ive had a fair few 5's in my time.
what a fuking p1sstake:mad: why exactly renault used 6 bolts to hold the battery tray down is beyond me. for that alone i hate them now. :jerkoff:

i still havent been able to get to the last bolt:cry:

gt turbos are sh1t.......im going to get some cider in.. get bladdered...the in the morning all will be well and ill love em again.:D

rant over.

Purple_rob
14-11-2008, 20:39
Agreed this is one of the hardest jobs to do LOL.

Open ended spanner with 1/6 of a turn (again and again) to get mine undone. The padding on the floor was pretty tough too.

The bolt shouldnt really be rusty considering it is inside the car, and once its loosened you should spin it off.

Good luck with it :).

tonesGTT
14-11-2008, 21:13
i remember having this ****e with a battery tray. Raj, i gave up. Ended up doing the best i could to 'refurb' the existing one. was lucky the tray wasn't too fooked in the first place. scraped the ****e off, rust inhibitor and a coat of hammerite. battery tray, done.

Shane P
14-11-2008, 21:30
I remember when Justin (J5GTT) had to do this on his Raider. He just reached up behind the fusebox, pulled back the carpet and undid the nuts.

raj
14-11-2008, 21:36
im not going to let it win, i WILL fit the new stainless tray!!!!

by the power of grayskullllll.. i have the powerrrr - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=92mV2b-ms7o

:scared:

:D

Shane P
14-11-2008, 21:46
Can i ask where you purchased the stainless tray from, as i bought one from a member on the old site who makes them in bulk and they are not very safe :(

The 13mm bolt fixing point is only welded on one side which allow the clamp to lift up off the battery, allowing the battery to slide and earth on the wing :(

raj
14-11-2008, 21:52
Can i ask where you purchased the stainless tray from, as i bought one from a member on the old site who makes them in bulk and they are not very safe :(

The 13mm bolt fixing point is only welded on one side which allow the clamp to lift up off the battery, allowing the battery to slide and earth on the wing :(

i purchased mine off a member too, his names dunk (http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=388) .

i think it maybe the same seller as im sure mine is only welded on the one side, not the end of the world as im sure a tac or 2 of weld will hold that piece down good enough.

Kris M
14-11-2008, 23:33

Move your battery across to the other side :D

raj
15-11-2008, 00:02
Move your battery across to the other side :D

why exactly would you want to do that?:confused:

Ashy
15-11-2008, 00:04
why exactly would you want to do that?:confused:

So the +ve cant earth on the wing!

Kris M
15-11-2008, 00:09
You said it Ashy, get a campus / other lesser Renault 5 mk2 plastic battery tray + bolt and bracket.......the mounting hole on the drivers side scuttle is already there on the GTT. stops the battery from earthing out on the wing......cheaper than the stainless trays :D

raj
15-11-2008, 00:09
So the +ve cant earth on the wing!

ok,i see your point. but i cant do this as my header tank is in that place.

THE MASTER
15-11-2008, 00:23
on my campus i moved the battery back over to were the gt bat sits n/s

but wot i did is rotate the bat 90° and made my own clamp

see if i can find a picky
:)

dave j gtt
15-11-2008, 05:18
Just, as i was about to sugest,

Get battery that has + and - the oppisite way round :)

Fit stainless tray with all 6 bolts as renault intended ;) job done :cool:

tonesGTT
15-11-2008, 08:05
im not going to let it win, i WILL fit the new stainless tray!!!!

by the power of grayskullllll.. i have the powerrrr - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=92mV2b-ms7o

:scared:

:D

:laugh: you may need the eye of thundera too! Thunder, thunder, thunder cats, hooooooooooo!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-sOaUAgbB4

raj
15-11-2008, 17:23
lol,

well i defeated the 5 with the help of battle cat who in turn is really my dog:scared:

i told him to bark at the bolts and they simply undid themselves and fell off!!! no really!:D

so ive now fitted the new tray and all is hunky dory :D

note for people buying theses stainless steel trays, i personally think its better- the stainless trays only have 3 mounting holes and also as earlier mentioned the clamping bolt face is only welded on 1 side which could possibly pull it up when the clamp is tightened up to hold the battery down.
:)