PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler fitment guides/advice...

Brizza
01-09-2011, 09:31
Hi, has anyone got any guides/advice to fitting the mocal oil cooler such as:

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=363&catid=5&appid=16&pic=3

Cheers,

Ian

Ashy
01-09-2011, 09:50
First thing would be to buy it from Thinkauto (http://www.thinkauto.com/engineoilcool.htm) rather than Ktec mate.

OCI2417s (http://www.thinkauto.com/acatalog/On_line_shop_with_stainless_steel_braided_hose_28. html) £97.86 (£117.43 Including VAT)

Brizza
01-09-2011, 10:40
Many thanks, may not be needed. I was just fed up of driving all that distance to the ring with the heater on lol :wasntme: louvering the bonnet is another option I just don't want to spoil the looks of the car at the same time :(

Matt Cole
01-09-2011, 11:04
Many thanks, may not be needed. I was just fed up of driving all that distance to the ring with the heater on lol :wasntme: louvering the bonnet is another option I just don't want to spoil the looks of the car at the same time :(

Brizz, it shouldnt over heat at all. Maybe a problem with your rad/thermostat.

Brizza
01-09-2011, 11:06
Its not overheating Matt, its just over the 2nd post slightly in German summer, just after driving "conventional cars" it was a pain driving everywhere with the heater on lol

Karlos
01-09-2011, 14:38
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MGB-13-ROW-OIL-COOLER-/150649418625?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item231367b381

Just needs some lines making up £20-£30 and a sarni plate £20. Also the front engine mount to block requires a little grind.

Brizza
07-09-2011, 13:03
just got bummed hard by Mocal, bought the kit but guess what... yup, doesnt include the cooler itself!!!

What thread bar did everyone use when drilling the cross member?

Matt Cole
07-09-2011, 13:16
Its not overheating Matt, its just over the 2nd post slightly in German summer, just after driving "conventional cars" it was a pain driving everywhere with the heater on lol

briz, thats perfectly normal! If it continuously rises and doesnt settle then theres a problem.

Brizza
07-09-2011, 13:17
when you bought the kit from Mocal what did you get?
:crap:

Brigsy
07-09-2011, 18:11

Are you sure your rad isn't a bit clogged up?? have you flushed the coolant? My gtt stayed half way on the gauge in 28 deg temps flat out in france...

Mart
07-09-2011, 18:25
:agree:

Defo no need for an oil cooler if the coolant system is working tickity boo.

You can always bridge out/occlude the turbo coolant pipes to help keep the coolant side more in check, and likewise the connections going to/from the inlet manifold, but retain the carb cooling connections.

Brizza
08-09-2011, 07:50
Everything is find it the needle doesnt move beyond the 35-40ish degree point (just above the bar) Just seems a good thing to have.

Alex
08-09-2011, 08:00
:agree:

Defo no need for an oil cooler if the coolant system is working tickity boo.

You can always bridge out/occlude the turbo coolant pipes to help keep the coolant side more in check, and likewise the connections going to/from the inlet manifold, but retain the carb cooling connections.

My oil temp reaches 120+c when on track, whould you not say that's a bit on the high side? :scratch: That's the reason why I bought an oil cooler (with stat) :)

Jimmy_GTT
08-09-2011, 10:30
Where do you guys measure the oil temp?

Eugein Offord
08-09-2011, 11:27
when you bought the kit from Mocal what did you get?
:crap:

the complete kit......................they are really good .. there is no way they would rip anyone off.. they manufacture the mocal range .. maybe a mistake............???

btw .. i love this line......Ktec.......... are great:confused:

designed to replace the standard, inefficient oil cooler which is built into the GT Turbo radiator. It is used to keep the engine oil at a safe, more efficient operating temperature

:laugh::laugh:maybe renault should sue Ktec...................

Mart
08-09-2011, 11:44
My oil temp reaches 120+c when on track, whould you not say that's a bit on the high side? :scratch: That's the reason why I bought an oil cooler (with stat) :)

Sounds high, but maybe the issue lies elsewhere? I never measured Trusty's oil temp's, but the Raider ran around the high 90-100c mark. Given the oil used to sit circa 85-90c driving around normally, I never let the extra 10c whilst gunning it on track worry me.

What grade oil do you use, and is the turbo & inlet manifold still plumbed in? (coolant system)

Alex
08-09-2011, 12:37
Possibly, I'm not sure? I agree - if it was circa 100c I wouldn't be overly bothered. Incidentally I measure the oil temp direct from the sump.

I use either 10w/40 or 15w/50 semi at all times although I do have some 5w/40 fully synthetic to try. I can't imagine this will make much difference though?

Turbo and inlet as Renault intended Mart :agree:

Matt Cole
08-09-2011, 13:23
Possibly, I'm not sure? I agree - if it was circa 100c I wouldn't be overly bothered. Incidentally I measure the oil temp direct from the sump.

I use either 10w/40 or 15w/50 semi at all times although I do have some 5w/40 fully synthetic to try. I can't imagine this will make much difference though?

Turbo and inlet as Renault intended Mart :agree:

Make sure its a good brand matey. I had some comma stuff in years ago and it was utter gash! Got very thin on the rollers and rattled the top end. Changed to mobil super s and stayed together even on track.

Mart
08-09-2011, 13:23
On the Raider, I bypassed the inlet manifold connections (still retained the carb base ones though), and only ran 1bar boost on a T28 variant, hence it wouldn't be stressing/getting silly hot at that mediocre level of boost, and thus there wouldn't be as much heat transfer through the turbo water jacket to the coolant cct.

If you're running big boost and/or a smaller blower, it might be worth bridging out the turbo coolant connections to stop the excessive heat being transferred to the coolant cct, and see if that has an effect on oil temp's (assuming, of course, that you're running an o.e setup and not an external oil cooler, as that would be a pointless exercise otherwise :D).

I always used/still use 50 grade/viscosity oil for track usage.

Jimmy_GTT
08-09-2011, 17:26
Really would like to know where do you measure oil temp?
What kit are you using?

Mart
08-09-2011, 18:30
Hi Jimmy,

Measured in the sump. I ran an analogue RaceTech gauge, then a digital dual Spa gauge.

Alex
08-09-2011, 18:47
Cheers for that Mart. I'm going to be fitting the oil cooler soon so probably won't bother bridging the turbo coolant pipes. I might bridge the manifold coolant pipes though.

I run a T2/T25 @ 11psi manifold by the way.

Jimmy, I have a boss soldered on my sump which the sensor screws into. I use a Mocal analogue gauge.

Jimmy_GTT
08-09-2011, 19:08
Thanks for the answers.
I also have it in my sump. At the back. About 2cm high from the bottom of the sump.
I use an equus sensor and gauge.