PDA

View Full Version : Buying cup car and the registering it?

c7borg
31-08-2011, 14:06
Is it possible to road register a race car, I doubt it would have much ID so it's hard to prove the age, has anyone gone through this?

I'm guessing if I bought a dilapidated r5 say a campus and swapped it's shell and pretty much everything from the cup car it would be probably classed as ringing even if there remains a single identity? ie effectivly neither car is being scrapped as one never had an ID in the first place.

Just wondered the easiest legal way of getting a race car to the road.

Any help apprecatied :agree:

Penfold aka The Dealer
31-08-2011, 15:18
Some cup cars may have a chassis number... If this is the case it should be easier to road register.... Although it depends who you speak to at the dvla/vosa...

If you have no chassis number:
You can buy a gtt turbo(or any 5) and use 70% of the running gear to reshell (would have to remove cup car parts 1st - although how they check this dont know... You can then apply to the dvla to re register the cup car shell- ie you reshell you car)

Or just buy a 5 that is fit for scrap & take its id (chassis number and oval plate) and use that on the cup car, this method is not legal, but the chances of gettin caught is rare, its not a cut and shut so not dangerous, if it was me i would do this, have the car mot'd after to make sure its safe to be on the road & i would put a private plate on so that nobody could tell the difference.... As i said totally illegal, i wouldnt make it public knowledge...

But there is nothing overly special about cup cars, you can find a good shell and build a car to same spec or better than a cup car.... So is it really worth the hassle..

c7borg
31-08-2011, 16:08
Thanks for that, it wasn't really that it was an ex-cup car but more that this particualr car already had all the trick bits.. coil-overs, cage, seats tyres etc..

Thanks that's been a big help.

The new Bill J
31-08-2011, 16:17
But there is nothing overly special about cup cars,

Apart from the fact that they generally haven't seen anywhere near as much use as a road car these days, so they're usually a lot tighter/cleaner/straighter (ignoring the obligatory panel scars ;))

jesus in the seat of a 5
31-08-2011, 16:25
But there is nothing overly special about cup cars, you can find a good shell and build a car to same spec or better than a cup car.... So is it really worth the hassle..[/quote]

:mad:...i think you losing your marbles....:laugh:, come on bill get him...;), cup cars are special, they have heritage, history and as bill said...nearly if not nill rust etc , when set up good as they were...they peddle well round any track etc , as for registering one for the road... i think its a sin...but needs must i guess at times..:p, i think its easliy done, just depends on what ya tell them and whomb ya tell..... geezer...:wasntme::laugh: