PDA

View Full Version : im rich......

tubbyG
31-08-2011, 13:27
Me with another carb question...I have a standard carb with an enlarged second stage, reduced a/c and 2mm needle.

On boost the car is great and pulls well. But off boost its shocking, lumpy at part throttle and slightly hesitant when waiting fot boost in a higher gear.

The instant I touch the throttle - light or heavy, the afr's go to 10! This is obviously causing awful economy

I have checked for leaks, and reset the acc pump. Where do I go from here, smaller main perhaps??

Mart
31-08-2011, 13:43
Assuming the float is working correctly, check the needle valve isn't leaking fuel through even when it's closed.

tubbyG
31-08-2011, 14:59
It was a brand new needle valve from german ebay, it was fine when I checked for leaks - only fitted it ladt week. With the old standard 1.7mm needle it was exactly the same as now :(

Mart
31-08-2011, 16:42
Ok, next 2 things to check are fuel pressure @ carb, and enrichment cct gaskets.

Remove the carb top/elbow, start the engine, and let it idle - Do you see any fuel dribbling (or maybe pouring :D) into the venturi?

tubbyG
31-08-2011, 18:51
Idle is great, sitting between 14 and 15.
Have just got in from replaced the carb body for one with newer gaskets. Ive also double checked the jets.. So now:
120 main
1.3 second stage
Changed a/c from 0.9 to 1.00

Changed needle jet washer and made sure all was good and tight. Gonna be heading out later so will see then if its made any difference

Jimmy_GTT
31-08-2011, 20:35
Me with another carb question...I have a standard carb with an enlarged second stage, reduced a/c and 2mm needle.

On boost the car is great and pulls well. But off boost its shocking, lumpy at part throttle and slightly hesitant when waiting fot boost in a higher gear.

The instant I touch the throttle - light or heavy, the afr's go to 10! This is obviously causing awful economy

I have checked for leaks, and reset the acc pump. Where do I go from here, smaller main perhaps??

Are you sure it is also too rich when it is "lumpy at part throttle and slightly hesitant when waiting fot boost in a higher gear"?

Instant touch of throttle the acceleretor jet pumps a squirt. It is normal to see afr 10 for 1-2 sec but not more.

You should check the enrichment circuits at the side of the carb.