PDA

View Full Version : Whats this Turbo then...

5 turbo
29-08-2011, 20:52
As its a laggy ******* low down as explained below...
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc466/sperminator4/100_3839.jpg
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc466/sperminator4/eng034-1.jpg
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc466/sperminator4/eng042.jpg

Is seriously laggy till about 3-3.5k then just pulls like a train.
Engine runs outta puff before it does..Yet its only making 12psi?
Exhaust housing is unmarked,an definately not T2,looks japish to me>?

Really wanna improve the off boost performance but dont wanna cam it,jus get it spooling up quicker but keep the Top end ;)

Any ideas fellas :scratch:

Cheers all :agree:

car.crash
29-08-2011, 20:54
t28 i think

5 turbo
29-08-2011, 21:04
..Was thinking 25 praps but jus looks massive on the ex side..an as above well laggy...

Im miffed here :confused: :laugh:

Markey Mark (BD)
29-08-2011, 21:13
Looks more T25 with a .49 rear housing on it to me

5 turbo
29-08-2011, 21:15
So that sound in line with my symptoms fellas??....

car.crash
29-08-2011, 21:20
3.5k for boost is ok to me. i run a t28 and im around those revs till power comes.

Markey Mark (BD)
29-08-2011, 21:22
If you want to improve the lag then maybe have a T2 .35 rear housing fitted, to be honest it doesnt sound too bad when your turbo kicks in now but each to there own

5 turbo
29-08-2011, 21:27
Like i say jus seems toooooooooo laggy for me...but my concern is it feels like its been limited if you know what i mean..feels like it could do a shed load more boost as when its on boost it aint sweating,yet low down its ****e. made 153 @fly on 12psi,turbo feels like ita take 20psi,better actuator needed first though :agree:

Really wanna combine the best of both..Hence id the turbo and hopefully find what its capable off....

Markey Mark (BD)
29-08-2011, 21:31
Yes that turbo will feel more lively if it runs more boost, set it to around 15-16psi with the carb rejetted to suit and you'l find it abit more lively for sure.

5 turbo
29-08-2011, 21:39
Yes that turbo will feel more lively if it runs more boost, set it to around 15-16psi with the carb rejetted to suit and you'l find it abit more lively for sure.

Main/idle jet have been taken out too next size...Jus found believed reciept for it...Turbo technics stage3 hybrid(T25/T25)...

But no-one can say what sorta psi it can handle...as im only running a standard actuator on it and a cossie cone(will be dropping that a touch me thinks...)

Markey Mark (BD)
29-08-2011, 21:43
Main/idle jet have been taken out too next size...Jus found believed reciept for it...Turbo technics stage3 hybrid(T25/T25)...

But no-one can say what sorta psi it can handle...as im only running a standard actuator on it and a cossie cone(will be dropping that a touch me thinks...)

Well it will all depend on the wheel trim size and what rear housing it actually is but i'd say you'll be fine right up to 20psi, maybe abit more.

Do you know what jet sizes in your carb?

5 turbo
29-08-2011, 21:48
Well it will all depend on the wheel trim size and what rear housing it actually is but i'd say you'll be fine right up to 20psi, maybe abit more.

Do you know what jet sizes in your carb?

Feck knows on jet sizes boss..Was told they were standard main/idle so they were taken out too next one up...

as for wheel sizes....blank its bare those are all the id numbers i can find on it...

SCHWARTZ
29-08-2011, 21:50
The stage 2 t2/25 from turbo technics that I had could run 22psi fine. 360degree thrust bearing should be in yours also so see no probs with you running 20/22psi.

5 turbo
29-08-2011, 21:53
The stage 2 t2/25 from turbo technics that I had could run 22psi fine. 360degree thrust bearing should be in yours also so see no probs with you running 20/22psi.

Think its time to open it up an have a mooch about...Thinking get it refreshed/id'd/an improved...

The new Bill J
29-08-2011, 21:58
Jus found believed reciept for it...Turbo technics stage3 hybrid(T25/T25)...

The TT 'Stage 3' is a very laggy turbo. I had one years ago. When it finally came on boost though, it packed one hell of a punch. I sold it to Adam L (from Turbo Developments) who agreed with me. He, like me, got a bit fecked off with the lag, so he fitted a smaller back-end, and said that transformed it into an immense turbo. A lot less lag, but it still punched very hard.

It might be worth chucking him a pm, and asking what back end he fitted, as I can't remember :ashamed:

5 turbo
29-08-2011, 22:04
The TT 'Stage 3' is a very laggy turbo. I had one years ago. When it finally came on boost though, it packed one hell of a punch. I sold it to Adam L (from Turbo Developments) who agreed with me. He, like me, got a bit fecked off with the lag, so he fitted a smaller back-end, and said that transformed it into an immense turbo. A lot less lag, but it still punched very hard.

It might be worth chucking him a pm, and asking what back end he fitted, as I can't remember :ashamed:

Cheers boss :agree:

will get a vid of it in action..i'll be back in a bit...

Markey Mark (BD)
29-08-2011, 22:05
Feck knows on jet sizes boss..Was told they were standard main/idle so they were taken out too next one up...

as for wheel sizes....blank its bare those are all the id numbers i can find on it...

I think those jets will need changing alittle, no need to take main out larger you'll prob need to enlarge 2nd stage abit and reduce the ac abit. Checking the AFR's will tell you this mate ;)

5 turbo
29-08-2011, 22:43
I think those jets will need changing alittle, no need to take main out larger you'll prob need to enlarge 2nd stage abit and reduce the ac abit. Checking the AFR's will tell you this mate ;)

TBH i been lookin at afr kit for her but the biggest problem is finding someone who knows how too set a five up propperly...shame it canne be live mapped :laugh:

Markey Mark (BD)
29-08-2011, 22:52
TBH i been lookin at afr kit for her but the biggest problem is finding someone who knows how too set a five up propperly...shame it canne be live mapped :laugh:

There's a few of us on here mate that will do it to help fellow members out, can give you rough idea of what it may need but only way to tell is by seeing what the AFR's are doing

5 turbo
29-08-2011, 23:06
There's a few of us on here mate that will do it to help fellow members out, can give you rough idea of what it may need but only way to tell is by seeing what the AFR's are doing

Cheers boss,had it roaded(probed an all ;)) but since like i say it just feels flat..all engine till up in the revs then turbo in but no real shove...set to 12..praps too low too make decent pressure low down?

AFR kit it is then...how would you set it up on the street..Private road it?;);)

5 turbo
17-03-2013, 14:21

Sorry to drag this from the cobwebbs fella...

The chap you mention above, does he rebuild these type of units??

car.crash
17-03-2013, 14:31
Yes he does.

http://www.turbodevelopments.co.uk/

5 turbo
17-03-2013, 14:44
Yes he does.

http://www.turbodevelopments.co.uk/

Appreciate that fella, just hope they can re-fresh it for less then the silly price's ok 1k ive been quoted :jerkoff::jerkoff: :cry:

car.crash
17-03-2013, 14:52
Last time I used them it was around £240 for a rebuild.

5 turbo
17-03-2013, 17:14
Last time I used them it was around £240 for a rebuild.

Thats more like it :agree::agree:

20psi here i come again :hump:

Cheers again Crash :pimp:

5 turbo
29-03-2013, 18:13
Fella's ive added this video of her, the noise your listening for is the worbleing, like a load of hornets are buzzing around..not the ticker ticker of 1yr old cold oil left in the sump :wasntme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ari3KCqBDY

Any ideas whats causing the noise?

Markey Mark (BD)
29-03-2013, 18:21
Check you got the right size restrictors in the breather pipes still, I see you still running the breather into the air filter hose and wrong size restrictors will cause a noise like that

HAndy
29-03-2013, 18:23
could there be a leak on inlet manifold or around that area, also check the non return valve of servo

spray a bit of carb cleaner around the inlet side ,see if the revs pick up :)

although revs hunt when this happens:scratch:

5 turbo
29-03-2013, 18:25
Check you got the right size restrictors in the breather pipes still, I see you still running the breather into the air filter hose and wrong size restrictors will cause a noise like that

as always though your a gent mark and i NEED to get this down too you!!

funnily enough it did have a restrictor fitted to the breather...hmmmm im gonna hunt it out now.

can i do away with the setup?

HAndy
29-03-2013, 18:25

:agree:

5 turbo
29-03-2013, 18:26
could there be a leak on inlet manifold or around that area, also check the non return valve of servo

spray a bit of carb cleaner around the inlet side ,see if the revs pick up :)

although revs hunt when this happens:scratch:

All good mate, had a new pipe an all lol..

gonna burn it soon :laugh:

Markey Mark (BD)
29-03-2013, 18:30
All good mate, had a new pipe an all lol..

gonna burn it soon :laugh:

Did you fit new silicone hoses? If you did these don't come with the restrictors fitted

5 turbo
29-03-2013, 18:35
Did you fit new silicone hoses? If you did these don't come with the restrictors fitted

hmmmmmmm yes i did :rolleyes:

which hose needs a restrictor fella, one from rocker cover to breather pot or the two that split from the air filter and go to pot/an inlet?

Sparkie
29-03-2013, 19:37
inlet to T piece = 1.7mm restrictor
T piece to turbo inlet pipe = 7mm restrictor

gttjames
30-03-2013, 07:41
just to jump on this thread.

I had this problem when I went to silicone hoses, forgot to put restrictors in, put them in, noise went.

my new setup doesn't run a pipe to air intake pipe, so can I loose the restrictors? will it change anything, better to run with them or without:confused:

Mart
30-03-2013, 07:58
You still need the 1.7mm restrictor in the T-piece to nrv line...or do away with the nrv & associated pipework altogether, and run the 'Cup' breather setup instead.

5 turbo
30-03-2013, 12:20
You still need the 1.7mm restrictor in the T-piece to nrv line...or do away with the nrv & associated pipework altogether, and run the 'Cup' breather setup instead.

its had the cup boost mod...not sure about the mystery cup breather system mod though..HELP PLEASE :cry: :agree:

Markey Mark (BD)
30-03-2013, 12:38
Take a pic of your breather set up and stick it on here, will let you know what set up you got and where the restrictor needs to go

5 turbo
30-03-2013, 13:26
Take a pic of your breather set up and stick it on here, will let you know what set up you got and where the restrictor needs to go

Ive a silicone hose running from rocker to swirl pot, then one from swirl pot to the T-piece, then one from inlet to T-piece, and one from the T-piece again down to air filter which ive got venting to atmos...

which now ive removed it from the filter has cured my Noise,IF i put my finger over the end of the pipe!!??

But then it makes a screeching instead, like a wailing pig lol

Mart
30-03-2013, 13:37
its had the cup boost mod...not sure about the mystery cup breather system mod though..HELP PLEASE :cry: :agree:

http://membres.multimania.fr/r5gt/gtt/modifoil.gif

Markey Mark (BD)
30-03-2013, 13:44
Ive a silicone hose running from rocker to swirl pot, then one from swirl pot to the T-piece, then one from inlet to T-piece, and one from the T-piece again down to air filter which ive got venting to atmos...

which now ive removed it from the filter has cured my Noise,IF i put my finger over the end of the pipe!!??

But then it makes a screeching instead, like a wailing pig lol

Deffinately sounds like your missing the restrictor from the pipe going from T-piece to inlet

5 turbo
30-03-2013, 13:52
Deffinately sounds like your missing the restrictor from the pipe going from T-piece to inlet

Cheers for all this help Mark, your a Gent...And You all above, And You Mart :agree::agree:

So if i do Mart's mod above, wont that do away with the restrictor issue?

What do i do with the inlet breather to t-piece..blank it?

Mart
30-03-2013, 14:01
Yep, it does away with the restrictors altogether.

Blank off or remove (and then plug) the breather nrv from the inlet manifold, and do away with all the breather pipework & gubbins, bar what's shown in the picture above.

J.D

Mart
30-03-2013, 14:04
The '2L' item is a catch can, but an old lemonade bottle or the such like will suffice - Just make sure it's breathable as such; ie, don't 'seal' the pipe into the bottle.

5 turbo
30-03-2013, 14:08
Yep, it does away with the restrictors altogether.

Blank off or remove (and then plug) the breather nrv from the inlet manifold, and do away with all the breather pipework & gubbins, bar what's shown in the picture above.

J.D

MANY MANK THANKS gents :agree::agree:

Im off to do it now, and i will be buying a half litre catch tank now as tbh the plastic aint gonna cope too well if i can het my magic 20psi again :agree:

I shall report back VERY soon :)

Once again Thankyou all very much, cracking forum as always :agree::agree:

5 turbo
30-03-2013, 19:37

Right done all the cup mods, NOISE GONE :agree::agree:

But ive 2 new probs...1, idle mixture is stuck at 10 On AFR, wont budge off mixture screw, so im assuming this may be due to my next problem...Being..

Boost gauge(plumbded in via AEI unit) is Registering -10, when revved, go's to -5(so on the up :laugh:) but ive a hunch maybe my Boost pressure is simply too low to help with making the correct leaneancy of mixture...

Would that be a right assumption??

Carbs all good but for good measure its being opened tomorrow, and a few tweeks made to jets as per WIZARDS advice......

As always fella's Much APPRECIATION to you :agree::agree:

Mart
30-03-2013, 21:42
Pull the carb elbow off, start the engine, look down the venturi, and see if any fuel is dripping onto the thottle plate. Report back if so :)

You'll hardly produce any boost from rev'ing the engine off-load, so nothing to worry about there.

5 turbo
31-03-2013, 00:08
Pull the carb elbow off, start the engine, look down the venturi, and see if any fuel is dripping onto the thottle plate. Report back if so :)

You'll hardly produce any boost from rev'ing the engine off-load, so nothing to worry about there.

Gonna be a busy sunday on the 5 again :rolleyes:

Right have pulled it off and its not dripping fuel, mixture screw dont make any difference when adjusted...

wound it all way in and my idle AFR is 13, screw all the way in!!

BUT it did have the idle jet opened out to the next size due to blockage....