PDA

View Full Version : volvo parts

tomdimma5
08-09-2008, 19:02
currently sorceing parts for a volvo conversion. where are the best place to get standard and tunning parts. iv read that kent cams do a performance cam but what bout pistions etc

and standard service items are they easy to get a hold off??

and just thinking is there another renault engien that uses same rods n pistions? id rather use of the shelf stuff than 1 offs

regards

Markey Mark (BD)
08-09-2008, 20:05
currently sorceing parts for a volvo conversion. where are the best place to get standard and tunning parts. iv read that kent cams do a performance cam but what bout pistions etc

and standard service items are they easy to get a hold off??

and just thinking is there another renault engien that uses same rods n pistions? id rather use of the shelf stuff than 1 offs

regards

GSF and Euro Car parts stock ost of the parts and service items for the Volvo lump, i use my local engineers to source the parts like piston rings, bearings, etc, for me.

The pistons in the engine are not the same as any other engine so your not able to swap pistons from one engine to another. Best thing to do is source some new ones mate.

tomdimma5
08-09-2008, 22:06
one off forged ones then? with it bin a renault block fort some may fit the conrods maybe with a lite boreing of the block

Markey Mark (BD)
08-09-2008, 22:25
one off forged ones then? with it bin a renault block fort some may fit the conrods maybe with a lite boreing of the block

Don't think you'll need Forge pistons yet mate. The pistons are a totally different shape to the other Renault engines using the similiar blocks, i believe the blocks are different heights.

tomdimma5
08-09-2008, 22:28
i want to build as strong bottom end as poss thats all

raj
08-09-2008, 22:34
im finding that theres hardly fock all mods available for the b18ft block.

can you post up when you find a wild cam, forged piston and rods and any other parts.thats if your going down that route.

the b18ft has low comp pistons as std doesnt it?

tomdimma5
09-09-2008, 11:10

can you post up when you find a wild cam, forged piston and rods and any other parts.thats if your going down that route.

the b18ft has low comp pistons as std doesnt it?

mate the key word there will be if not when lol

i was under the impresion that the vovlo crank is roughly the same as the clio 16v and 172 but differnt strokes?

scoff is your short throw crank in your engine out of a volvo or is that the 16v??

Markey Mark (BD)
09-09-2008, 20:12

can you post up when you find a wild cam

You say that mate, i've got one in my engine now had to be custom made though and wasn't straight forward to fit either.

Scoff runs a Volvo crank in his 172 engine i believe to lower the capacity and compression too.

raj
09-09-2008, 22:15
You say that mate, i've got one in my engine now had to be custom made though and wasn't straight forward to fit either.

Scoff runs a Volvo crank in his 172 engine i believe to lower the capacity and compression too.
where did you get the cam from.? why wasnt it a straight forward fit?

Markey Mark (BD)
10-09-2008, 17:17
where did you get the cam from.? why wasnt it a straight forward fit?

I had the cam ground to a custom spec, it was abit of a pain to fit as because of the lift on the cam the original valves were too short so had to have longer ones (and larger ones while i was at it) fitted, also i sourced a set of uprated valve springs so had them fitted to the head too.

raj
10-09-2008, 18:06
I had the cam ground to a custom spec, it was abit of a pain to fit as because of the lift on the cam the original valves were too short so had to have longer ones (and larger ones while i was at it) fitted, also i sourced a set of uprated valve springs so had them fitted to the head too.

come on then, share the details! whos ground the crank to spec? what longer valves did you source that fit?or where they custom made? and where did you get the uprated valve springs from.?
full answer please not half of one:D share the info bud:agree:

Markey Mark (BD)
10-09-2008, 18:23
come on then, share the details! whos ground the crank to spec? what longer valves did you source that fit?or where they custom made? and where did you get the uprated valve springs from.?
full answer please not half of one:D share the info bud:agree:

Lets just say all the parts are out of other cars and not just Renault, to be honest i don't want to give it all away as i might be sorting out a kit so i could sell them to people for there Volvo lump, its taken 3months to do the head so don't want to give all my secrets away:D

raj
10-09-2008, 18:30
Lets just say all the parts are out of other cars and not just Renault, to be honest i don't want to give it all away as i might be sorting out a kit so i could sell them to people for there Volvo lump, its taken 3months to do the head so don't want to give all my secrets away:D
boooooooooooooo:disagree: i just dont get some people:sad2:
;)

is the car running now then.? if it is..post up a vid.

Markey Mark (BD)
10-09-2008, 18:42
boooooooooooooo:disagree: i just dont get some people:sad2:
;)

is the car running now then.? if it is..post up a vid.

I might let them out one day, just going to se how it performs first:D No its not running yet, i'm having the inlet manifold modded again, exhaust manifold redone (already got a tubular one) and then get the ecu and wire it up. Once thats done it'll run, basic engine is all in the car now.

tomdimma5
11-09-2008, 18:06
so wat affects would the oppiste do? a 172 crank? would the stroke be to long and compression to high? i was thinking that if it would be possible to bore out the volvo block and use 172 forged items? that way there would be ready available.?

Markey Mark (BD)
11-09-2008, 21:25
so wat affects would the oppiste do? a 172 crank? would the stroke be to long and compression to high? i was thinking that if it would be possible to bore out the volvo block and use 172 forged items? that way there would be ready available.?

To be honest don't think that'll work, the compression would be way too high and the stroke would be much longer so the piston would poke out the top of the block. Best idea for meantime is to use the volvo botom end as it is and maybe balance it as i have or fit a 172 lump if you want to use the 172 parts.

Once mines up and running and tested i might look into making a 2.0l bottom end for my car using a Laguna 8v block as a starting point.

tomdimma5
11-09-2008, 21:52
looks like 1 off then, btw who made ya cam? heard cat cam (or kent crnt remem) made a cam for the b18ft

Scoff
11-09-2008, 21:59
catcams list a couple of cams for that engine, or ones that fit atleast, they won't work very well in big power applications, IMO. The profile mark has had made should be alot better, or, Haz priced up a billet cam from catcams to my spec with springs and retainers (I think) for around 550.00.

Markey Mark (BD)
12-09-2008, 17:42
[quote=Scoff;3023 The profile mark has had made should be alot better, or, Haz priced up a billet cam from catcams to my spec with springs and retainers (I think) for around 550.00.[/quote]

When the engineer finished with the head mate he was very impresswed how it looked and commented that it should go like a train when its running. With all the valves, springs, retainers and having the cam machined the whole lot come to around £600 for mine but that did include it all the machining and fitting.

tomdimma5
12-09-2008, 20:34
When the engineer finished with the head mate he was very impresswed how it looked and commented that it should go like a train when its running. With all the valves, springs, retainers and having the cam machined the whole lot come to around £600 for mine but that did include it all the machining and fitting.

who did it mate?