PDA

View Full Version : what have i done

tubbyG
27-08-2011, 12:10
Finally helicoiled my inlet manifold to get the carb secure and also done the valve clearances while I was there.

All was good when idling, engine sounded much quieter.. Untill I drove it!!

Drove round the block, first corner I got to, it became very hesitant, and a loud nocking is now coming from somewhere!! :(

Didnt have time to see where its coming from as I had to go to work.

I hope no swarf has crept in from the inlet but I was v.careful!!
If I didnt tighten one of the nuts up tight enough when doing tappets, would anything like this happen??

markey b
27-08-2011, 12:24
Finally helicoiled my inlet manifold to get the carb secure and also done the valve clearances while I was there.

All was good when idling, engine sounded much quieter.. Untill I drove it!!

Drove round the block, first corner I got to, it became very hesitant, and a loud nocking is now coming from somewhere!! :(

Didnt have time to see where its coming from as I had to go to work.

I hope no swarf has crept in from the inlet but I was v.careful!!
If I didnt tighten one of the nuts up tight enough when doing tappets, would anything like this happen??

i've had a loose tappet nut fall into the engine, sounded tappy until it spat the rod out the front of the block! :laugh:

have you checked the bolts that hold the rocker down, mine had stripped last time i had my car apart and ended up re-tapping them to M8 rather than the strange imperial thread that they are

also did you do the tappets cold, as if it was warm they will be out and tapping

tubbyG
27-08-2011, 17:19
I have whipped off the rocker cover on my hour break from work. No.8 valve had the nut missing from rocker arm :(

Found the nut beside the pushrod, hopefully the nocking was just the nut rattling about and no other damage has occured (fingers crossed) :cry:

Not got any free tine till Monday now so will have to wait till then to go back together