PDA

View Full Version : After a spirited drive- running major lean! Help please

Chris Holt
19-08-2011, 00:21
So was out tonight on a spirited drive, after a short pit stop for 10-15 min pulled away and the 5 started to run majorly lean... AFR Would normally show 12 some on WOT now isn't having any of it more like 15+

Oil pressure fine, not over heating so my thought start with the carb.
Have any of you had a similar issue? How was it resolved?

Ie A blocked main jet? Or needle jet?

Help....

jamie_8
19-08-2011, 22:25
So was out tonight on a spirited drive, after a short pit stop for 10-15 min pulled away and the 5 started to run majorly lean... AFR Would normally show 12 some on WOT now isn't having any of it more like 15+

Oil pressure fine, not over heating so my thought start with the carb.
Have any of you had a similar issue? How was it resolved?

Ie A blocked main jet? Or needle jet?

Help....

I had this ealrier on in the week, I spent half hour today blowing all the jets through with an air line and spaying a bit of carb cleaner though them as well. Spot on now. Might be worth getting a rebuild kit if it hasn't had one already. :agree:

Matt Cole
20-08-2011, 09:51
Could be the gauge! Re calibrated it before you pull your carb to bit

Chris Holt
20-08-2011, 23:59
Dump valve diaphram was split and 2nd stage was a slightly blocked.
Changed the diaphragm and the dump sound has changed... Is this normal? Granted I don't know how long the dv was split..

Matt Cole
21-08-2011, 09:39
Dump valve diaphram was split and 2nd stage was a slightly blocked.
Changed the diaphragm and the dump sound has changed... Is this normal? Granted I don't know how long the dv was split..

Get rid of the dump valve matey. Nothing but grief.

James5
21-08-2011, 10:54

:agree:

JRP
21-08-2011, 13:43

Agreed, even give me grief on the audi, and theres two of them... forever splitting at throwing up rubbish on vag com, at least you dont hear mine. But on a 5 you sound like a bus or lorry hissss hissss