PDA

View Full Version : power problem

royz
08-08-2011, 21:03
took the 5 out last sunday all was well until i stopped. came to start the car and nothing. so with a push car was running again went out tonight same problem not even a click but lights dimming as thought the starter was stuck. so i changed the starter before checking anything else.:dearme: turned the key same problem put some jump leads on car it then starts. what should be looking for at the altanator when checking its charging

mk5gtt
09-08-2011, 17:21
Check the two wires at the top of the alt one has to have 12v wen the ignition is on mine broke and does not charge the system

Os8472
09-08-2011, 18:18
Check the earths from the battery while your at it, get a jump lead and connect it from the battery earth to the engine and try and start it

Adam 005
09-08-2011, 20:08
Try a new battery:)

royz
09-08-2011, 20:36
cheers for the replys. checked all of the above even had the battery tested. i have had a problem with one of the wires on the alternator coming off the last week but sorted that. . managed to get hold of a tester today all was well when no load put all lights on it started to say voltage dropping so looks like i need a alt:(

Os8472
09-08-2011, 21:01
cheers for the replys. checked all of the above even had the battery tested. i have had a problem with one of the wires on the alternator coming off the last week but sorted that. . managed to get hold of a tester today all was well when no load put all lights on it started to say voltage dropping so looks like i need a alt:(

Was that with the engine running?

What readings did u get?

royz
09-08-2011, 21:24
it was tested with the engine running. the tester is a battery charger come tester. has a load of functions depending which button you push. to test the alt you push a button while following the follow the steps in the book the light went from green when there was no load as the fan was turned on and the indacators turned on it went to red and a code on the screen that stated voltage droped to low.

Os8472
09-08-2011, 21:51
Hmm interesting, does it give u a voltage read out?

If the voltage output was 14v with nothing but the engine running then I'd be looking at the battery, I'd bet it's got a dodgy cell, try a different battery first before buying a new alt

royz
09-08-2011, 22:05
battery voltage was 13.5 volts ill have another plat tomorrow night after work just strange that the problem just appered no warning or anything thanks for the help :) thing is the only spare i dont have is a alt :laugh:

Os8472
09-08-2011, 22:18
battery voltage was 13.5 volts ill have another plat tomorrow night after work just strange that the problem just appered no warning or anything thanks for the help :) thing is the only spare i dont have is a alt :laugh:

13.5v ain't to bad, I've seen worse, I'd bet your battery is buggered, swap it out and see what happens

royz
12-08-2011, 21:44
os cheers for the help had battery cecked all is well :scratch: must have been that dodgey wire to the alternator flattended the battery abit. must stop being so paraniod i have a problem with the car. nowt gone major wrong for a while so :laugh:

Os8472
12-08-2011, 22:29
os cheers for the help had battery cecked all is well :scratch: must have been that dodgey wire to the alternator flattended the battery abit. must stop being so paraniod i have a problem with the car. nowt gone major wrong for a while so :laugh:

It's a Renault mate, ya can't be anything but paranoid lol

jamie_clioGTT
14-08-2011, 23:35
best way to test alternator is to have car running then disconnect battery. if the car dies your alt is fubared.

djinuk
15-08-2011, 07:38
best way to test alternator is to have car running then disconnect battery. if the car dies your alt is fubared.

some cars wont run without a battery in circuit, changes from car to car..

best way to test alternator is to stick all the fans on etc then check your getting around 13.6v across the battery terminals with the car running.

jamie_clioGTT
15-08-2011, 11:45
nar they deffo should. havent come across a car that dosent yet

markey b
15-08-2011, 11:57
i had similar fault, cured by adding an earth from gearbox to body and an extra earth to body (bolted onto one of the water pump bolts)

Russ B
15-08-2011, 12:47

Very bad practice & very bad advice!!!!:eek:

The battery isnt just there to supply a means of starting the car, it is also a load impedance to smooth & absorb spikes from the alternator output. You can easily damage the alternator & reglator & other sensitive electrical systems if you disconnect the battery when the engine is running. Ok, the 5GT doesn't have that much on-board electronics compared to more modern cars, so would be less prone to damage,but....... I would do this at your own peril:mart: