PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust manifold heat shield?

r5gordini
06-08-2011, 20:54
Hi All,

Another "is this bit needed?" query. Looking at:

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Renault%20Diaolgy/Renault%205/Engine/Fuel%20and%20Exhaust/1120M024_1.png

I notice our car does not appear to have part 10 - the heat shield 'twixt inlet and exhaust manifolds. Is this part necessary? Is it helpful? Where can I get one if so?

Thanks,

Andrew

michael tierney
06-08-2011, 21:00
highly recommended if u got a gtturbo...stops things like rubber hoses and cables from burning.....or at least prolongs their life....i have a few spare but someone over there must have loads!!:)

r5gordini
06-08-2011, 21:29
Yes, phase 2 GT Turbo. It appears to be missing quite a few heat shields! Though I've just fitted the starter one. Hopefully will prolong the life of the new starter I just fitted.

Presumably you're in France?

Thanks for the reply,

Andrew

Denty120
06-08-2011, 21:50
That heat shield often comes loose and smoulders away on the manifold! Mine is missing too. I think the best thing it does is keep hot air from the turbo out of the air filter, more so if your not runing the standard air can. Just make sure all your pipes are secured away from the manifold etc. Mine were not, these are the protecting pipes around the fuel line:
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd4/PDent225/Old%20Blue/fuellineprotection.jpg
Fuel line is on its way through too!

old skool turbo power
06-08-2011, 22:17
the rubber pipe there thats burnt out im pretty sure that is holds it self on the anti perc fan.it can come lose i think.the heat sheid will keep the heat in,away from the rest of the engine bay area.the heat it produces from the manifold and the turbo is just silly.i never understand on why ppl never relpalce them:confused:and then ppl then wonder on why hoses may of melted.renault did fit them for a reason:scared::agree:

number 13 is the rubber pipe

r5gordini
06-08-2011, 22:27
Mmm... I see - I can't seem to find one of these heat shields online. Will ask around.

Thanks,

Andrew

raider_gtt
06-08-2011, 23:19
Mmm... I see - I can't seem to find one of these heat shields online. Will ask around.

Thanks,

Andrew

Hi there give mike phase I 16v on here a pm he will have one for sure I no I bought one some time ago it was £66 plus the vat I think have no idea what the cos is now and I can give you a part number if you want it

Fordy
07-08-2011, 09:04

Thanks,

Andrew

renault will want around £40-50 for the big heatshield and they are still available :)

raider_gtt
07-08-2011, 11:32
renault will want around £40-50 for the big heatshield and they are still available :)

Go right gone down a little in price then ;) all gd

Trevhib
07-08-2011, 13:21
This item is just the normal OE turbo heat shield from a phase 2.

AFAIK Renault weren't going to fit a heat shield over the turbo whatsoever but were subsequently required to by law*. When they first fitted them to phase 1's they were prone to channelling hot air towards the carb and it was boiling the fuel so, had to extend the top piece to stop this happening (hence why the phase 2 design is different/bigger and goes across the top of the manifold).

*hence why taking them off doesn't cause any particular issue.

The phase 1 version was metal and lasted better but didn't dissipate heat so well (as described above), the phase 2 version was material and whilst it was a better shield it rotted around the mounting points over the years, which allowed it to fall onto the turbo and cause engine fires.

I got rid of my two ph2's and was fine. I left my ph1 on there (as I had no fuel boiling issues), and it was fine.

r5gordini
07-08-2011, 22:38
Ah! That explains why I didn't recognise it from any of the photos I'd seen. The parts drawing doesn't seem to relate to the photos of the heat shield that I had seen.

We have a metal GT Tuning Turbo heat shield. That should suffice then! Understand that the material shields can be a fire risk.

Under bonnet temps are pretty high. Might consider heat-wrapping some parts of the exhaust down-tube. And maybe the manifold if I can (doubt I can - looks too tight in there).

Thanks,

Andrew