PDA

View Full Version : starter woes

tubbyG
06-08-2011, 13:21
over the last week when going to start the 5, it turned over very slowly before turning normal and firing. This morning when I turned the ignition all I got was a buzzing noise from the starter and the rev needle was jumping about, I tried again, and nothing happened this time (no noise or turning)

I dont have a multimeter to hand so I have removed the starter and hooked it up to a spare battery - and nothing happens.

Any suggestions on repairing it/where to look for wear?

Purple_rob
06-08-2011, 14:24
Reading this it would point me to eliminate the battery first? Have you tested the battery or jumped it with a good set of leads?

tubbyG
06-08-2011, 14:47
Reading this it would point me to eliminate the battery first? Have you tested the battery or jumped it with a good set of leads?

yeah mate battery is fine, and all other electrics are working. My initial thoughts were battery due to the slow turn-over so I charged it start of this week.
didnt have another car here to attempt a jump:(

I have hooked up the starter to my spare battery and absolutley nowt happens!

I will attempt to dismantle the starter tomorrow and see whats going on inside. are there any visual signs to look out for If the bushes are worn?

TrixNFlix
06-08-2011, 14:52
Earthing point on the gearbox :agree:
Get a jump lead on one of the bolts that goes through the gearbox and starter motor and earth it.