PDA

View Full Version : weird water pipe set up?

mightymanx
03-08-2011, 20:48
hiya hope some 1 can help right ive had 18 gtts and this new 1 i have has a strane water pipe set up that ive never seen before ok ill explain ill start at the water tank
from the water tank the two hoses on the bottom 1 goes from the water tank to the top side of the water pump the other goes from the water tank straight to the swirl pot then from the swirl pot the the rear of the water pump
my heater matrix is not connected and i have no water pipes going to the back of the manifold as normal or no water pipe going to the turbo so can some 1 tell me what the idea of this set up is??
can i reconnect my heater matrix for the winter? all help gratefully received

royz
03-08-2011, 21:28
is the heater matrix bust and has just been bypassed.

mightymanx
03-08-2011, 23:54
am not sure if its bust or has some 1 just by passed it what is the aid of the water set up i have?

Alex
04-08-2011, 09:08
The matrix bypass could have been done as it's knackered as mentioned. Some people bypass the carb pipes so the inlet temps arn't increased by the heated base..... :)

Trevhib
04-08-2011, 09:15
Sounds like someone just wanted to minimise the coolant circuit and removed all the parts that go to matrix, manifold and turbo and connected the rest up.

Or,

Maybe the matrix is shot (so was bypassed), and maybe the car had a ph1 turbo fitted at some point and when they went back to a water cooled one, someone said "the water circuit to the turbo on these is belt and braces, they never used to have them, you don't need it". So they didn't bother (or perhaps couldn't be bothered), and the car's been fine.

Or,

A mixture of the above scenarios (bust matrix, decision to remove manifold circuit out of choice, new turbo but no coolant pipes to plumb it in).

I would reconnect the lot for the following reasons:

- manifold: can become a problem warming up in the winter, as the butterfly/throttle sticks

- matrix: you'll be freezing in the winter, plus it can help when it's really hot. I liked to use the matrix to take out heat from the coolant system by opening the windows, pointing the vents out the window, putting the blower on full, hot. Very effective.

- turbo: what's wrong with belt and braces :D

mightymanx
04-08-2011, 10:28
o thanx for every 1s help i do plan to reconnect some pipes so can some 1 tell me wich of the matrix holes the pie goes to off the bottom of the water tank does it go to the top of the matrix or the bottom?? an my turbo doesnt have a water pipe on it so i cant reconnect that ?

Trevhib
04-08-2011, 12:42
So you have a phase 2 GTT with a phase 1 turbo (i.e. no water jacket), installed? That shouldn't be a problem. Just focus on the matrix and the manifold.

Finding out which matrix port goes to one of the bottom connections of the header tank should be a simple search of the website to answer.

We need to know more about your car. Why don't you take some pics of it so we can actually help.

mightymanx
04-08-2011, 18:09
well i have 1 engine pic i can get some more if needed
heres 1

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z459/isleofmanx/520.jpg

Trevhib
07-08-2011, 12:51
The standard set up is something like this:

1) 'top hose' (water pump top to rad top)
2) 'bottom hose' (rad bottom) to water pump (bottom)
3) water pump to top of turbo
4) bottom of turbo to carb base
5) carb base to inlet manifold
6) inlet manifold to water pump
7) water pump to swirl pot
6) swirl pot to heater matrix
7) swirl pot to top of header tank
8) heater matrix to header tank

Btw, what I said about the manifold pipe run and sticky throttle, actually it's the carb base run that's the important part for the throttle. From your pic I think it's in.

I wouldn't worry about any of your setup unless you're really keen to re-plumb the matrix.

mightymanx
08-08-2011, 18:08
yer id like to redo the matrix so it would be just the case of reconnecting the pipes wouldnt it?

Trevhib
08-08-2011, 19:18
If you could make a numbered list like the one above but for your car (exactly how the pipe run works currently), it might be possible to work out what you need to change in order to get the matrix incorporated.

mightymanx
10-08-2011, 21:18
ok hmm lets see heres my list

1. top hose top of water pump to top of rad
2.bottom hose bottom of water pump to bottom of rad
3.hose no longer to turbo it goes to top right side of water pump by temp sensor
4. no hoses to manifold
5.bottom header tank right to the front of the water pump
6.bottom header tank left by passes matrix to bottom left side of swirl pot
bottom other side swirl pot to top of water pump
strange aint it lol any 1 any ideas?

Markey Mark (BD)
10-08-2011, 21:30
That all looks normal to me mate apart from the header matrix being bypassed, looked all normal when i had it here doing the carb and manifold.

mightymanx
10-08-2011, 23:59
o so can i just reconnect the matrix ?

Trevhib
11-08-2011, 11:27
Looks like you have enough info now to work out how to re-plumb the matrix whilst keeping the manifold and turbo circuits out. Just a matter of whether you have the correct hoses!

Once connected up, keep an eye out for leaks, in case that was the reason it was bypassed in the first place.