Rear parking brake 13% efficiency

Offside side repeater not working
Nearside Front ball joint pinch loose
NS / OS sill gone
Steering Gaitor split
Nearside front brake hose kinkjed
Offisde rear brake hose twisted

Advisories

Nearside and Offside side repeater obscured by not more than 50% (painted black)
Offside Direction indicators affected by the operator of another lamp
Steering column coupling hitting oil feed pipe for turbo (not sure how :confused:)
Dip beam warning not working
Front sun visors can not be stowed but just outside of swept area
Front wiper blades split & clearing poorly
OSF wheel arch corroded and holed
Front brake hoses chaffing on strutts
OSF tyre close to limit
NSF shock absorber has play init
Both rear wheel arches corroded

Cant beat a bit of challenge :cry: other than that it drives fine :D

Half thinking do I scrap the shell and start from a fresh one or do the work just to get through the MOT, its not the best looking one as never was going to be its more of a rough looking rag around so dont mind plate patches on the sills and floorpan, just need to remove those side skirt covers and see what its like if there is anything left to save from the car.

5teve L
02-08-2011, 17:39
Ah, thats not to bad, unless you find some real nasties under the side skirts :scared:

Bigfoot
02-08-2011, 17:43
When I originally had the engine work done on the car we removed the passenger side skirt, and there was some strange work done on there, like a plate pop riveted on rather than welded, but that side was all cleaned up and welded, the floor pan was not that bad but now can stick my hand through nearly :crap: haven't removed the driver side skirt in the whole 6 years of owning the car, im not going to enjoy that moment but will wait and see when I get a chance to do so this week or weekend. Rest of work will take the weekend to fix which wont be too bad really.

Markey Mark (BD)
02-08-2011, 17:43
Pull the skirts and archs off and see whats what, go from there mate.

To be honest for me i would try repair a 5 shell as much as i could as soon god shells are going to be hard to come across so if more rotten ones are repaired the more solid 5's that'll be out there.

Bigfoot
02-08-2011, 17:44
The raider has taken it out of me doing the stripping down and sorting out the problems, but will work on this as much as possible as a lot of time and money and been spent working on this car and dont want to just through it all away.

Penfold aka The Dealer
02-08-2011, 17:54
Buy my ph1 shell... no rust underneath what so ever ;-)

On a serious note, you can fix it, no huge rush really as you have the raider to play with now. :)

Or break the black 5 up and get some money back and put it in your savings...

J$£5GTT
02-08-2011, 21:16
has it not clicked with some of you folk that maybe a reno 5 gtt isnt the car for you!!!

:laugh::cooter:

Bigfoot
02-08-2011, 22:02
has it not clicked with some of you folk that maybe a reno 5 gtt isnt the car for you!!!

:laugh::cooter:

Oi you, I have got more up to the standard of road legal than you :cooter: all my renault 5 gt turbos have all been off the road when I purchased them and put them on the road or cut them up into tiny pieces of metal :wasntme:

J$£5GTT
03-08-2011, 21:49
:D

Trevhib
04-08-2011, 08:53
Shows just why an annual MOT is required and how useful it can be.

Good luck with pulling the side skirts off. :agree:

Bigfoot
04-08-2011, 09:02
Thanks, have spoke to Mike to weigh up the options if it is really bad under there which he has another car which I can swap it all over to which is an idea if it does come to it. Then can start a clean sheet with the car. But have owned the car 6 years and dont think I could bare to part with it now even though its falling apart really. Will be putting in back garden and start taking apart at weekend and see what the damage is like :crap:

Bigfoot
07-08-2011, 17:23
Well it doesn't look that bad, once I have removed the side skirts, no rust at all along the actual sill section, small section at bottom on driver side and on passenger side at the back there is a small bracket not sure what it is used for but that has rotted away. Taken both steering gaitors off, both riddled with holes. Noticed the ball joint where they said the bolt was loose (which it was :crap:) but the ball joint rubber was totally rotten which they didn't spot, so changing that during week. Took off both suspension legs, took those apart, swapped over the bearings and changed for the poly doughnut rings. Adjusted both brake hoses so not kinked or twisted. Removed both side repeaters, going to find standard ones to put back in place to finish off the standard outside look some more. Will then adjust the hand brake to see if I can improve the park brake efficiency or might remove rear calipers and see if can free them up if they are stuck due to not much use.

Trevhib
08-08-2011, 11:48
I always left my handbrake off whenever possible (i.e. when the car was parked). It seems it's impossible for the mechanism to get stuck in the off position :D

In the 5 years I had my ph1, it was never an issue at MOT time as the handbrake always worked perfectly.

I even went away to Oz for a year and had jacked the car off the ground and left it (with the handbrake off), when I returned - no problems. :agree: