PDA

View Full Version : Clutch pedal travel

Purple_rob
01-08-2011, 22:00
I think a common problem, but i'm wondering if there is something I can do to alter the travel.

Bascially, the pedel pretty much hits the floor. It needs full travel for reverse and pressing it into the carpet is creating a dent/whole.

Just to eliminate some things. I done a clutch about 10k ago and have a new clutch cable. I just think this is the design?.

Anyone have experience on this?.

Thanks

peter GT muir
01-08-2011, 22:05
stick a big washer between the end of the cable on the gearbox bracket bolted. just try a few diffrent combos to get it right

peter GT muir
01-08-2011, 22:10
or cud be the ratchet on the pedal worn

Purple_rob
01-08-2011, 22:14
I believe the ratchet is good, I like the washer idea. I'm open to ideas, tried and tested preferably.

It's been a long term thing so I dont think theres anything broken.

peter GT muir
01-08-2011, 22:23
is the cable though the little loop on top of the ratchet (the white plastic bit) i had this problem and set me back a new cable and stripping the pedal box off my other 5:sad:

Sparkie
01-08-2011, 22:28
thats what happens when you fit the valeo clutch

peter GT muir
01-08-2011, 22:37
if your going down the washer route just move the bracket on the gearbox out with some washers and a longer bolt, the cable will still sit in the hole and will make the pedal feel better

Fordy
02-08-2011, 00:11
reset the self adjuster and see if reverse returns to a better height

jamie_8
02-08-2011, 10:18
I filed a couple of mm of the clutch pedal stop. Worked for me :)

Sparkie
02-08-2011, 13:09
I filed a couple of mm of the clutch pedal stop. Worked for me :)

easiest way is to do this. :agree:

just unclip off the car first.

Renault 5 GT Turbo
02-08-2011, 20:10
easiest way is to do this. :agree:

just unclip off the car first.

Granted this works but is a bit of a bodge if you ask me. Your peddle will be way higher than brake and accelerator which I don't like. I would investigate the spacing out the bracket idea or if you are like me, remove the engine and gearbox, remove the Valeo clutch and pop in an original one!

Only non standard part I have ever fitted and regretted it ever since.

The new Bill J
02-08-2011, 20:29
Mine got really bad once, and I was struggling to select first gear in traffic while in the middle of London. I got so p155ed off that I grabbed the pedal, and yanked it until it bent. I never had a problem after that :D

J$£5GTT
02-08-2011, 21:11
Mine got really bad once, and I was struggling to select first gear in traffic while in the middle of London. I got so p155ed off that I grabbed the pedal, and yanked it until it bent. I never had a problem after that :D

you bender!!!

paul b
02-08-2011, 23:23
you can try to use the self adjuster.... as written in the Renault Technical help manual...

Make sure engine is not running,handbrake on .
depress clutch pedal to floor.
slide foot off pedal sideways towards the centre of the car in a swift manner.
pedal will return to it's idle position very quickly and if the adjuster works it will be very noisy in a "cracking" type noise.
you may need to do this more than once...

they should add an extra section, collect skin taken from shin bone off the pedal and glue back to left shin area.

Clutch pedal can come up so quickly it CAN catch your shin, making you squeal like a girl and shout MUMMY....

Purple_rob
02-08-2011, 23:29
OO this one I can try in the morning and hopefully avoid loss of shin ;)

paul b
02-08-2011, 23:31
it's the same on Clio's,19's, 5,9,11's ... 21 had a different adjuster but same procedure losing more skin, BONUS...

and go do it NOW... :cool:

Mart
02-08-2011, 23:51
I always found removing the clutch pedal stopper/block first, (re)setting the adjuster, then refitting said block helped position the biting point correctly.

paul b
03-08-2011, 21:49
OO this one I can try in the morning and hopefully avoid loss of shin ;)

good , bad or just ugly?????:confused:

Purple_rob
03-08-2011, 21:58
Good and bad, excellent advise.

Basically, yes it worked and I was injury free :). The pedel felt a lot better. It did seem after several miles it return to its original position. It is such a slight change but I obviously need to change something, any ideas?

paul b
03-08-2011, 22:03
the adjuster has failed.... teeth will be missing/worn...

replace pedal adjuster kit,,, cheap as chips..
replace clutch pedal...
washers on the box end of the cable, cheaper than chips.com

J$£5GTT
03-08-2011, 22:03
when me an kris M fitted a green box valeo to my 5 we had a few attempts at setting it up.....final and succesfull attempt was me levering the clutch arm over with a bar,kris getting ready to pop the clutch cable on an his dad under the dash putting the ratchet in the correct place as i gently removed the leverage....

been fine since,altho with the soft pedal arm it hits the double cap so using an oe cooler for time being....

also if you decide to fit new rachet,arm,washers etc i found the clip at the end very hard to put back on so cut off the tiny arms and made sure it wont come off with two tiny zip ties.....pmt for succesfull r5 ownership....:D

:)

Purple_rob
03-08-2011, 22:14
Replace the clutch pedal, is that necessary?.

Are you still able to get parts Paul.

P.s it was a real shame i missed you at mallory this year as I only found out you was there after the event.