View Full Version : inlet manifold problem

tubbyG
31-07-2011, 14:42
I have been having problems with the long bolts which secure the carb to the inlet manifold. The threads are fooked in the inlet manifold side!

I had recently used ptfe which seemed to do the trick and held the bolts solid with no issues of air leaks at carb base. Now the tape has no effect and the carb works lose in no time at all.

I have a spare inlet manifold but I have been unable to remove the current inlet, with the raceland tubular exhaust manifold I have no access to one of the nuts. Only other option was to remove the cylinder head for full access but this is a last resort.

Any tips or products i could use that could hold the bolts in place?

Fordy
31-07-2011, 15:39
could you not helicoil the inlet manifold?

tubbyG
31-07-2011, 17:05
thanks for te response fordy, i was looking at a helicoil kit, but I was wondering if there was anything easier... pastes etc. but after some searching, it doesnt look like they would be up to the job long term.

helicoil it is......

Brigsy
01-08-2011, 12:58
Do the job properly and change the inlet manifold, better in the long run:)

little_daz
01-08-2011, 15:05
Do the job properly and change the inlet manifold, better in the long run:)

I agree, Mike Gt-Turbo-Spares does a refurb fanimold for about £35. Makes more sense than helicoiling

little_daz
01-08-2011, 15:07
I have a spare inlet manifold but I have been unable to remove the current inlet, with the raceland tubular exhaust manifold I have no access to one of the nuts. Only other option was to remove the cylinder head for full access but this is a last resort.
Sorry didn't see this bit :rolleyes: