PDA

View Full Version : Help needed!

Denty120
24-07-2011, 15:27
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hello, I got my GT Turbo yesterday and it turns out ot need more work than I expected! I managed the 250 mile teip home ok, with 3 stops, with 2 things in need of attention.

The car ran a bit on the warm side despite supposedly having a low temp fan switch recently fitted. The fan cuts in but doesn't stay on for long. On closer inspection the rad looks a mess so Im going to get a new one. I need info on replacing the rad and wiring for the switch please.

Secondly the boost shot straight off the top of the gauge:eek:. I suspected an under bonnet bleed valve but when I looked one of the pipes had come off the wastegate! I have replaced that but can't test it cos the car refuses to start! She turns over ok and catches but dies straight away. Lookig at the carb from the passenger side it looks like there is a pipe missing from the bottom of the carb. Any suggestions on that one? The carb has also been replaced, the old one is in the boot. Should I buy a refurb kit for the old one and swap them back over?

And lastly (for now!) the anti perk fan does'nt work. Ther is no turbo heat shield so no sensor, I can't even find the wiring from the fan!

All suggestions and info would be greatly appreciated, offers of help from anyone close by (Barnsley) even more so:D

royz
25-07-2011, 21:17
if the pipe that is missing is the one in the photo it is a vent for the carb but needs a bit of hose to the front of the engine. so if it vents or the seal gose any fuel that leaks out dose not go over the exhaust. the fan sounds as though it is working but worth checking the relay it should be on the front near to the altanator. also how is the water level.

raider_gtt
25-07-2011, 22:03
Pm for ya m8

Denty120
26-07-2011, 07:29

Thanks guys for that, I will have a closer look at the carb to see if it is that breather.
Water level is good, I will hunt down the relay and check it out. Can I bypass it to see if the fan works ok? I have bought a copper rad so it will all be coming out anyway, I'm on the lookout for some cheap coolant hoses if anyone ncan help me out?

Denty120
27-07-2011, 12:31

Got another problem now. The car won't start. It turnes over ok and catches but dies straight away. Should I be looking at carb or ignition first?

I think this car is going to need a lot of work!

James5
27-07-2011, 12:34

Got another problem now. The car won't start. It turnes over ok and catches but dies straight away. Should I be looking at carb or ignition first?

I think this car is going to need a lot of work!

Check the basic's, Are you getting fuel to carb? is there a strong spark?

Denty120
27-07-2011, 12:40

Fuel, check. Spark, not checked. Will have to look later, cheers.

Robbo
27-07-2011, 15:06
I am happy to pop over and have a look for the cost of fuel and a cuppa if ya get really stuck:)

Denty120
27-07-2011, 21:28

Cheers Robbo that would be great.:agree:
My haynes manual arrived this aft so I will start working through the suggestions in there, pulling bits off and waggling stuff to see if I can sort it! You may be able to tell that it's been a long time since I had a car which required hands on maintenance!

philg
28-07-2011, 08:47
Better get used to that :)

Denty120
28-07-2011, 21:02

I think I've made some progress today:
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd4/PDent225/Old%20Blue/018.jpghttp://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd4/PDent225/Old%20Blue/019.jpghttp://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd4/PDent225/Old%20Blue/020.jpg
Not exactly good for spark eh!

I removed the battery and intercooler too to get a better look below and found rather a lot of oxide!
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd4/PDent225/Old%20Blue/intercoolerbaseplate.jpghttp://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd4/PDent225/Old%20Blue/Batterytray.jpg Not a lot left of the battery tray. How the hell do I get those rusty nuts off though?
Lots of parts to order tomorrow then.

Denty120
06-08-2011, 19:26
I am happy to pop over and have a look for the cost of fuel and a cuppa if ya get really stuck:)

Thanks for the help today mate, was great to hear her splutter into life again! And thanks for pointing out some other must do jobs, I would not have spotted that and it woulld have ended in tears for sure.:agree:

adscan
06-08-2011, 19:41
Did you get it going? If it still won't run check the fuel pump relay. Mine had the same symptoms and it turned out to be the fuel pump relay.

Denty120
06-08-2011, 22:01
Yeah she lives again!

Robbo
07-08-2011, 08:20
Thanks for the help today mate, was great to hear her splutter into life again! And thanks for pointing out some other must do jobs, I would not have spotted that and it woulld have ended in tears for sure.:agree:

No problem, glad i was able to help:)