PDA

View Full Version : Shower fitting advice

Nayls
22-07-2011, 23:12
Bit of a strange one for a car club i know but it's in general chat so hey ho! :)

I've decided to rip my bath out and have a shower enclosure fitted,
obviously i need the enclosure with tray,waste trap and a shower,but do i need a pump?

my taps are very high pressure so unsure if i need a pump? and power shower or just a normal shower?

alway's had a bath and no shower so forgive me if this is a bit stupid :crap:

peter GT muir
22-07-2011, 23:15
you should have about 2 bar of towns water pressure so just a power shower will work fine

bigdur
23-07-2011, 03:18
If you have a combi boiler then you'll just need a mixer bar, if you've a hot water tank then you'll need a pump to boost the hot water to a similar pressure as the cold.

jamie_clioGTT
28-07-2011, 21:59
sorry this may be abit late but a normal shower will work fine.. you only plumb into the cold water for a shower as it heats the water itself.. 1 cold pipe feed will be on the shower and with abit of luck it will be mains fed so plenty of pressure. bestr way to find out is turn a cold tap on and put your finger under it... if you can stop the flow its from a tank but if you get wet.. itll be mains. hope this helps.

bigdur
28-07-2011, 22:11
Where did you get that advise from? Cold water is never tank fed.

jamie_clioGTT
28-07-2011, 22:16
im an electrician and in old propertys its not unheard of to be tank fed. mostly industrial thou tbf.. factorys etc

Nad-5GTT
29-07-2011, 04:21
Where did you get that advise from? Cold water is never tank fed.

:disagree: My cold water upstairs is tank fed ie my toilet, bath and sink. My downstaires shower, toilet,sink and kitchen sink are fed straight from the mains.

bigdur
29-07-2011, 08:05
Should really change that system over then if your brushing your teeth with water that's been sat in a tank with a dead rat and god knows what. I've never come across it in 15 years of trading in a domestic dwelling. Maybe it's regional?

Andrew Cooke
29-07-2011, 13:31
Should really change that system over then if your brushing your teeth with water that's been sat in a tank with a dead rat and god knows what. I've never come across it in 15 years of trading in a domestic dwelling. Maybe it's regional?

Evesham is near you, my parents have a cold water tank in their loft. It's what you need if the mains supply is iffy, or well pumped.

Separate tap in the kitchen off mains for drinking water.

Nad-5GTT
29-07-2011, 17:25

:laugh: never had any problems with that matey, ive lived here nearly five years and im only brushing not drinking it, i even had to check my big diy book that ive got:o just to make sure i wasnt wrong.

bigdur
29-07-2011, 17:39
Well you learn something new everyday. Good job I'm not a plumber lol
:wasntme:

JRP
29-07-2011, 21:08
Dont think if you have a tank you need a pump :rolleyes:

If you have an unvented cylinder/megaflow or alike that will provode ample pressure.

If you have a conventional indirect or direct cylinder then a pump may help the flow, although dont get to powerful a pump or you will rid the hot tank of hot water at to great a rate, then it wont be able to heat the water at the same rate your using it, hmm half a shower then a 40 min wait for the tank to re heat to finnish. Dont forget the hot water tank heats up via heat transfer from a coil, so your heating water is wizzing from boiler upto tank round the coil and back to the boiler. Keeping heating water seperate to *clean* albeit sat in a tank in your loft water. so the heat up rate is slow; unless like in unvented you somtimes have 2 coils and more of the coil,so its quicker recovery. ;)

If you have a combi boiler check the flow rate through your boiler, and match up to what ever you get... if your hot water in the house is generaly poor dare i say it an electric shower off the mains?

make the right choices or you will waste alot of money.

Need any help pm me,