PDA

View Full Version : Doing piston rings...

Bass J
18-07-2011, 19:49
Hi folks

Some of you may know that i destroyed my turbo on route to mallory/FCS this year. After getting the car home the oil is gunky again ..after doing the headgasket a few weeks before.. we noticed the piston had damage.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/215535_10150593620990585_502785584_18568500_251956 1_n.jpg

But we decided to chance it and go for it lol

So were are gunna do the rings and check the bottom end when the engine is out ..what would i need ..ive already priced -

1.Headgasket kit (corteco)
2.piston rings (goetze) - from euro carparts
3.timing chaing gasket
4.sump gasket (which comes with the two rubber gaskets for the side)

Is there anything else i have missed out? ..obviously ill need oil and coolant ..which ill get from my work.

Obviously a decent piston will be needed ..markey mark is sending me up his spare piston that was machined to size of this engine spec :smokin:

Cheers :)

scratcher
19-07-2011, 15:17
The gunk could be the last of the old stuff being flushed out.
Has the carb been set for the boost your running? Looks like it's been detting a bit. Or something got into the bore?

Fordy
19-07-2011, 16:09
that poor piston is shot to pieces from det by the looks of it on my phone

I'd be very surprised if the liner isn't scored from the high chance that the piston has ringland damage

Bass J
19-07-2011, 18:44
The carb was setup by markey mark ...said it was good for 22psi max ..have been running it at 20psi ...afr's were between 11's and 12's ..which i think are ok.

I was running a cheap airfilter on my turbo ...little did i kno it had a hole in it which sucked in something ..which destroyed the comp wheel,oil seals in the turbo ...which i recon it got into one of the cylinders.

The gunk re-appeared after an engine flush ..and a new oil filter and fresh oil ...its also breathing heavy through the oil breather system ..which is gunky ..reason im pointing it to the piston rings :smokin:

Markey Mark (BD)
19-07-2011, 20:48
Thats had something rattling round in there, thats not det.

My poor old engine! :(

You'll get it back up and running mate :agree:

Bass J
19-07-2011, 22:35
I hope so mark lol

It is a beast! ..ordered all the bits last nite ..should be here in the next few days :)

Just need to get an engine crane...and find out when reco wants to do it lol ...as he's told me i i aint allowed to touch the engine :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Tony Walker
19-07-2011, 23:30
Be carefull once the engine is rebuilt, with the extra compression from new rings yoou could end up with detonation issues. The previous setup may of been fine but that doesnt necassarily mean the rebuilt engine will be. especially at 20-22 psi

Markey Mark (BD)
20-07-2011, 16:12
Be carefull once the engine is rebuilt, with the extra compression from new rings yoou could end up with detonation issues. The previous setup may of been fine but that doesnt necassarily mean the rebuilt engine will be. especially at 20-22 psi

They were new piston rings when i freshend up the engine just before i sold it on, think i done 700miles on the rings, not to sure how many Bass J's done on them.
Good point though, worth bearing in mind.

Bass J
20-07-2011, 17:55
Aye im planning on running low boost to run them in ....not gunna whack the boost up high till they are ran in for obvious reasons :smokin: