PDA

View Full Version : whining

UKG grant
12-11-2008, 17:50
Abit of an odd one, recently, when on boost at around 10psi, im getting a whine, almost like gearbox whining except its only on boost, if i let of but maintain the speed it stops. seems to be boosting ok tho. just abit srtrage only at 10psi+ makes some noise like and air raid siron and fomr guestamating when driving it it does sound like its coming from the turbo, anyone got any ideas?

Markey Mark (BD)
12-11-2008, 18:02
Sounds like a boost leak to me mate, i had it once i had a hole in the pipe and the air being forced out of it caused it to make a real screeching noise. Worht checking first.

Guybrush
12-11-2008, 18:04
whining noise only when on boost??? you sure its not a coincidence and its a wheel bearing?

if your right, and its not speed related and only boost related then its gotta be mr. turbo saying goodbye.

also, if its more of a whistle than a whine....check your air filter for holes or the air filter pipework for splits etc, as you'll be able to hear what the turbo's doing a lot more... or it could be air escaping eg. a hole in the intercooler etc.

UKG grant
12-11-2008, 18:20
Turbo is fairly new, only done 3000 miles ish, il check boost pipes, is a posibility tho the noise dosent sound like it could be that the wrong tone mabie if that makes sence, i could be wrong, a split in the intercooler is a goood idea tho. have to chekck it out when its light!
cheers!

Guybrush
12-11-2008, 18:21
another source of whining can be in the passenger seat :laugh::laugh::laugh:

jantheeven
12-11-2008, 18:46
:laugh:

tobester
12-11-2008, 20:25
another source of whining can be in the passenger seat :laugh::laugh::laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: i get that a lot:cry:

UNICRONICUS
13-11-2008, 12:25
Remove your turbo exhaust elbow and have a look at the area between the wastegate port and the exhaust turbine wheel, I bet there's a hairline crack. Nothing to worry about apparently, mine was cracked and made a whining noise on boost but it didn't loose performance. Apparently it's quite common for turbo's to crack in this place, even if it's new.

Spooky
13-11-2008, 12:26
have you looked at the compressor side of ze blower ? bent/damaged blades will cause the noise you're mentioning too...

UKG grant
14-11-2008, 11:20
yehh, il have a browse on the weekend! cheers guys, tho my alternater is making abit of a blowing noise on tickover, think bearngs are abit kaput, so it couls possibly be that so il check that too, cheers!