PDA

View Full Version : Composite bonnets group buy

Phoenix Autosport
08-07-2011, 12:41
we have a couple of month gap in our schedule for development work so to help to keep our staff in work and support the forum i have decided to try and organise a group buy for some composite bonnets.
these will be made at cost for the initial batch sold on the forum which would be

£275 each if we get the minimum quantity of 6 orders
OR
£250 each if we can get over 10 orders

as said this is cost price for manufacture of the part and we would not stand to profit from the initial batch. after the initial batch we would then retail the part at a much higher price for any future customers to try and recover our development costs.

Specification of the bonnets would be,
high quality glassfibre composite construction with full internals so that the part would have the full original appearance with a gelcoat finish which is stable and can be painted with all types of car paints.
for manufacture we would use a temperature resistant resin to ensure the bonnets stay looking great and avoid any heat distortion as is common on many glassfibre bonnets.
the bonnets would feature a fitted metal loop to work with the original bonnet catch which will look the same as on the original renault bonnet and mounting points for hinges, bonnet stay and the bonnet strap would also all be present as on the original.

we would take a deposit of £75/bonnet on placement of orders just to make sure that we dont go to all the effort of doing them only to have people pull out, balance to be paid before shipping, we are happy to ship worldwide.
shipping cost within the uk mainland would be £17.99,
within the EU would be £49.99,
Outside EU but in europe would be £59.99,
for destinations outside europe please contact me and i will get you a shipping quote.

as an example of some of our work i have attached some comparison images of a set of focus rs wings we made for a forum in germany, in the image the blue wings are original ford parts and the grey ones are our lightweight composite replicas

http://www.phoenix-autosport.co.uk/images/comparison_WEB.jpg

djinuk
08-07-2011, 12:54
although my interest in theres is pretty minimal i was just wondering..

The ktec Carbon fibre bonnets that were produced were always very ill fitting, no lines matched up and without modifying the car hinges drastically you could never really get them looked decent. I presume these would be a very good straight mold.

Also good work on the focus wings, they look really good.

raider_gtt
08-07-2011, 13:45
WHO CARES ABOUT BONNETS what about making Renault 5 Gt turbo rear arches repair pannels for phase 1 & phase 2's thats more worth it as renault don't sell them it would keep some of the Renault 5 Gt on the road this is what people want bonnets ain't going to keep a car on the rd ???

Phoenix Autosport
08-07-2011, 13:57
although my interest in theres is pretty minimal i was just wondering..

The ktec Carbon fibre bonnets that were produced were always very ill fitting, no lines matched up and without modifying the car hinges drastically you could never really get them looked decent. I presume these would be a very good straight mold.

Also good work on the focus wings, they look really good.

yes the fit will be spot on, i am going to be putting one on my own car for promotional purposes so i wont settle for something that isnt spot on.
The ill fit on most composite bonnets is due to the molds being made with general use resin which will shrink as the styrene evaporates into the air, we only use very low shrinkage resin for mold making and all our molds are braced to ensure they stay totaly straight and produce a product that fits perfectly, also we use a heat resistant resin for the product itself which along with the full internals will ensure the part retains its true shape and doesnt sag like many aftermarket bonnets do

Bigfoot
08-07-2011, 13:58
Can some delete the idiots comment above :sad2:

Great idea on the bonnet and im sure a lot of the people who are looking at saving extra weight on their cars.

Any idea on the weight difference and as like the carbon fibre bonnets will these have the strengthing put into the panel with the mould or will it flex a lot. As I think the main reason why people didn't go carbon fibre because you didn't save much weight once you put all the strengthing back into the bonnet including for the hindges.

Good luck with the group buy :agree:

Phoenix Autosport
08-07-2011, 14:03
WHO CARES ABOUT BONNETS what about making Renault 5 Gt turbo rear arches repair pannels for phase 1 & phase 2's thats more worth it as renault don't sell them it would keep some of the Renault 5 Gt on the road this is what people want bonnets ain't going to keep a car on the rd ???

we are also currently molding reproduction door cards and looking into tailgates, full oem style kits, wings and spoilers but we have to start somewhere and those parts will be far easier to do with my car off the road in the workshop over the winter months, i want to keep it on the road over the summer

Phoenix Autosport
08-07-2011, 14:08
Can some delete the idiots comment above :sad2:

Great idea on the bonnet and im sure a lot of the people who are looking at saving extra weight on their cars.

Any idea on the weight difference and as like the carbon fibre bonnets will these have the strengthing put into the panel with the mould or will it flex a lot. As I think the main reason why people didn't go carbon fibre because you didn't save much weight once you put all the strengthing back into the bonnet including for the hindges.

Good luck with the group buy :agree:
Thanks for the encouragement, you are never going to save a huge amount of weight as renault made them from tinfoil in the first place but i would expect them to be around 30% lighter and an obvious advantage is they cant rust when they get the inevitable stone chips on the front, also with so may cars having had the bonnets bad-boyed or vents/scoops put in it gives an easily available standard looking replacement now that renault are no longer producing them

raider_gtt
08-07-2011, 14:25
Thanks for the encouragement, you are never going to save a huge amount of weight as renault made them from tinfoil in the first place but i would expect them to be around 30% lighter and an obvious advantage is they cant rust when they get the inevitable stone chips on the front, also with so may cars having had the bonnets bad-boyed or vents/scoops put in it gives an easily available standard looking replacement now that renault are no longer producing them

We need repair panels not fibreglass bonnets tailgates ect there is loads of company's making these body parts Gt tuning made bonnets and other fibreglass parts! Fiberglass is not going to keep theses cars on the road is it If the repair panels were made eg rear arches and other panels then more rtoc members would be able to restore there cars and the club would keep members too and not scrap there cars due to rust fibreglass is not going to keep these cars on the rd! Is it wast of time and money! Once the Renault 5 are gone then you are left with finer glass crap no one wants

DaveMayGTT
08-07-2011, 14:28
we are also currently molding reproduction door cards and looking into tailgates, full oem style kits, wings and spoilers but we have to start somewhere and those parts will be far easier to do with my car off the road in the workshop over the winter months, i want to keep it on the road over the summer

Great to hear you are doing parts for the 5. More excited about all of the above than bonnets but like you say have to start somewhere. People have been asking for light weight tailgate for ages. Good on you m8!

djinuk
08-07-2011, 15:14
We need repair panels not fibreglass bonnets tailgates ect there is loads of company's making these body parts Gt tuning made bonnets and other fibreglass parts! Fiberglass is not going to keep theses cars on the road is it If the repair panels were made eg rear arches and other panels then more rtoc members would be able to restore there cars and the club would keep members too and not scrap there cars due to rust fibreglass is not going to keep these cars on the rd! Is it wast of time and money! Once the Renault 5 are gone then you are left with finer glass crap no one wants

The problem there is that typical rusting areas on r5s, are sills, inner/outer, and bumper brackets maybe floor pans, and occasionaly rear 1/4s, .. structual areas that you cant remake in fibreglass. R5 doors are surpisinlgy heavy i find, when compared to the boots , bonnets etc.

Phoenix Autosport
08-07-2011, 15:30

Unfortunately I run a composites company and not a pattern pannel makers so can only help within the scope of what I can do, you are obviously very passionate about getting these parts made so why not have a go at speaking to some pattern panel suppliers and see if you can organise a buy on the parts you would like, I would certainly participate if there were a group buy of some of the parts you mention

fishead
08-07-2011, 18:31
ignore him, hes not passionate about these cars, jus lookin to antagonize people

good luck to you mate, if you start showing the majic to other body parts we'll be havin chat for sure

SCHWARTZ
08-07-2011, 19:16
ignore him, hes not passionate about these cars, jus lookin to antagonize people

good luck to you mate, if you start showing the majic to other body parts we'll be havin chat for sure

or make money out of ya:jerkoff:

JRP
08-07-2011, 19:54
Ignor the typical nonsense posts above as already stated, And good luck with the group buy.

Dont be put off by one persons opinion. its good your trying to help the club :agree:

modfather
08-07-2011, 20:28

and when your bonnet rusts away and cant be used, you wont be able to drive the car anyway :laugh::laugh:

bigdur
09-07-2011, 09:29
Tailgate is a good shout, I don't think the bonnet is really that heavy tbh. Something needs to be done with the doors.:)

Phoenix Autosport
09-07-2011, 10:37
Tailgate is a good shout, I don't think the bonnet is really that heavy tbh. Something needs to be done with the doors.:)
i have a new renault tailgate stored for molding off of but i had expected the bonnet to be a more desirable first product, you are right about the doors, they are flipin heavy and again i am happy to do them but they are pretty involved from a molding point of view and are likely to cost around the £350/door mark again i didnt expect there to be many people who would be willing to part with £700 without seeing some of our work out there on other members cars first

bigdur
09-07-2011, 10:44
The trouble is all in the mould costs, I now a chap who moulds a classic Tvr body and its LOADS of prep time to get it good, either that or the painter has to do loads of work before paint. The doors would be awesome but agreed they'd have to be very good for people to stump up £700 a pair plus spraying.
I am interested in a tailgate though for sensible money, mine's a bit crusty under the rubber anyway. :D

Tony Walker
09-07-2011, 22:25
Tailgate :D roof skin??? alot of 5s with rotten sunroofs out there including my other 5.

Alastair
24-07-2011, 13:09
Tailgate :D roof skin??? alot of 5s with rotten sunroofs out there including my other 5.

Fo those that are interested in tailgates have a look here:

http://reichhard-motorsport.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=25_148_36_113_115

Im saving up...

Tony Walker
24-07-2011, 13:25
Looks fantastic, let us know what there like when you get one :D

Fordy
24-07-2011, 17:34
anyone ordered fro that site before? they have alot of nice stuff i could buy :cool:

Harri
24-07-2011, 19:03
anyone ordered fro that site before? they have alot of nice stuff i could buy :cool:

I have that glass fiber tailgate, fitment isn't perfect due to bit too thick skins but otherwise im quite happy with it. Shipment was quite fast, just remember to order hinges they sell separately for the tailgate there. I have pic which shows unpainted tailgate in the end of my project thread.

bigdur
24-07-2011, 19:25
Did you weigh both tailgates to see a weight difference?

Harri
24-07-2011, 19:40
Did you weigh both tailgates to see a weight difference?

No, my scale is only 0-3000g so I had no way of measuring old one back then. But I think it weights lot less than original. They say it weights only about 3,5kg which feels quite right. But I enjoy "rust free" part even more than weight saving.

Alastair
25-07-2011, 07:54
Doors would be a good investment given their weight...! I could believe how heavy they were!

Harri
25-07-2011, 13:08
Doors would be a good investment given their weight...! I could believe how heavy they were!

My thoughts exactly. I would be willing to buy one pair if group buy for decent carbon fiber doors is made and the price is decent. Cgb motorsport seems to be selling suitable hinges meant for replacing worn ones so OE-look fitting should be quite possible.

bigdur
13-09-2011, 20:27
:coffee:

bigdur
16-10-2011, 22:43
I take it you're no doing these then.

Harri
17-10-2011, 16:49
I take it you're no doing these then.

I drow the same conclusions and started doing sanding work on my current doors already.

bigdur
18-10-2011, 18:46
Thanks for the reply. ;)

Phoenix Autosport
18-10-2011, 20:23
parts are currently being done as time allows, door cards and rear quarter panels are ready for molding, i have also prepared and 2 pack coated a rear bumper with bump strip on in order to make a mold for producing lightweight rear bumpers, bonnet and tailgate are both part way prepared for painting so that they can be molded off of, unfortunately low shrinkage molding resin has a very short shelf life and is only available at a sensible price in quantity, for this reason i need to get a reasonable number of parts ready for making molds before i spend several hundred pounds buying some in,

doors are just far too expensive to produce compared with what people would be willing to pay, sorry

my appologies if i missed your post but i have been rather busy with work over the last couple of weeks, if you need a quick answer on anything please feel free to give me a call on 07774 838467

bigdur
22-01-2012, 22:08
Any news on the tailgates?

GT TURBO BEN
23-02-2012, 20:46
hi there what would your suggestions be on maybe trying to build a ktec spoiler, moulded on a smooth boot lid is it a possibility as im stumped on where to get one ktec dont do them anymore cgb motorsport dont do them mike at gt turbo spares hasn't got any also interested in a carbon composite bonnet with bad boy eyes built into it is that a possibility to