View Full Version : F4R crank seal (not sealing)

Ashy
04-07-2011, 22:43
Hi chaps, just a quick one...

I have an issue with the crank seal (behind the flywheel) leaking oil, its only recently started and its not a huge amount but its pretty annoying.

Now I understand its an engine out job to swap it out but I really can't be arsed to do it, i'm sick of pulling engines out... So I was wondering, just to give me an easy ride really, would there be an mileage in dropping the sump, whipping that cap off and just moving the seal slightly?? I'm thinking its probably worn a groove in the crank and might re-seal if I moved / rotated it slightly??... Or would I be wasting my time and I should just bite the bullet Any opinions?

Cheers Ashy.

Scoff
05-07-2011, 00:04
Its just hard to get it seated square again when putting it back together, but yeah, probably worth a shot !

I've had seals weep because a tiny strand of silicone has got stuck between it and the journal, so give it a good old waggle about with some wd40 once the cap is off to make sure it's sat nice on the crank.

Also, are you sure the oil isn't getting past the end cap instead ? I normally fill those channels to the brim with sealent, torque the cap in place then squeze more sealent down the square "holes" with a nozel until it oozes out between the cap and the block. That seems to work OK :)

Spooky
05-07-2011, 00:05
I tried rotating the seal like you've said but it made it worse. For the sake of a few hrs ball ache, I would change it :)

Spooky
05-07-2011, 00:09
Also, are you sure the oil isn't getting past the end cap instead ? I normally fill those channels to the brim with sealent, torque the cap in place then squeze more sealent down the square "holes" with a nozel until it oozes out between the cap and the block. That seems to work OK :)

Agree with the sealant, the more the better :agree: