PDA

View Full Version : Bad Smoking habit - F7p turbo

James5
04-07-2011, 09:14
Please delete this thread turned out to be fecked turbo, also oil pump filter was clogged with white sealant (not me as i use black), also oil pump had been shimmed so i removed the shim.

I feel like a right :rob: now:ashamed:

Ashy
04-07-2011, 12:46
whats your oil pressure like?

James5
04-07-2011, 13:00
whats your oil pressure like?

:eek: No idea as my OE dash gauge does not work since the conversion (prob me with a wire to the incorrect orange or brown wire but never relied on OE one anyway) and my aftermarket Mocal mechanical one I ended up breaking the fecking adaptor:crap:

I will source an adaptor and update with pressure. What's your thought's woth pressure Niall?

Bruce - BHPerformance
04-07-2011, 13:20
Is it the same inlet manifold as the first head or did you change it complete?
Do you have a non return valve in the crankcase breather system to prevent boost pushing oil into the inlet tract?

5teve L
04-07-2011, 13:26
Is it the same inlet manifold as the first head or did you change it complete?
Do you have a non return valve in the crankcase breather system to prevent boost pushing oil into the inlet tract?

Smokes on idle & if you blip the throttle or hold the revs up.. pretty sure he has a one way on the inlet to crankcase as well.

Ashy
06-07-2011, 13:06
I will source an adaptor and update with pressure. What's your thought's woth pressure Niall?

James, sorry forgot to reply to this thread but just seen your PM so thought it best to reply here.

My reason for asking is I have had a similar problem with my white 5, it drove me nuts as I just couldn't work out what was up with it. Tried 4 known good working turbos, had 150psi compression across all 4 pots and had skimmed and rebuit the head... In the end I found out it was the oil pump. When I put the pressure gauge on i was getting 80psi oil pressure all the time even at idle when the engine was hot!

Because the engine had been sitting for a while (few years) with no il in the relief valve had siezed and was causing mega pressure. This meant that it was forcing oil out the back of the turbo and smoking like a good un.

I know this might not be the same as yours but its worth checking.

I doubt its head related as you've had 2 heads on, I doubt its head gasket related as its been changed and is new. you say you are getting oil in all 4 bores? if thats the case it almost has to be a problem with the breathers? It could be the rings but as you have it on all 4 pots I assume the one with new rings you re-built yourself so theres little chance you've installed them upside down.

Might be an idea to blank the turbo off and remove the breathers and take it for a test run.

I can supply a blank exhaust housing if required, you would then just need to pipe the water pipes together and the oil feed directly to the oil drain!

James5
06-07-2011, 13:25
James, sorry forgot to reply to this thread but just seen your PM so thought it best to reply here.

My reason for asking is I have had a similar problem with my white 5, it drove me nuts as I just couldn't work out what was up with it. Tried 4 known good working turbos, had 150psi compression across all 4 pots and had skimmed and rebuit the head... In the end I found out it was the oil pump. When I put the pressure gauge on i was getting 80psi oil pressure all the time even at idle when the engine was hot!

Because the engine had been sitting for a while (few years) with no il in the relief valve had siezed and was causing mega pressure. This meant that it was forcing oil out the back of the turbo and smoking like a good un.

I know this might not be the same as yours but its worth checking.

I doubt its head related as you've had 2 heads on, I doubt its head gasket related as its been changed and is new. you say you are getting oil in all 4 bores? if thats the case it almost has to be a problem with the breathers? It could be the rings but as you have it on all 4 pots I assume the one with new rings you re-built yourself so theres little chance you've installed them upside down.

Might be an idea to blank the turbo off and remove the breathers and take it for a test run.

I can supply a blank exhaust housing if required, you would then just need to pipe the water pipes together and the oil feed directly to the oil drain!

Niall, many thanks for the info I will take a look at my oil pump:eek::agree: I have an adaptor for my mocal oil pressure gauge on the way as I snapped the last one:ashamed:

Rings on number 3 are definatly installed the correct way the rings were all marked up with Top on them and the packet had nice pictrues for me to follow to which slot on the piston they went in :laugh: i love a good picture:agree::D

My breather system is pretty basic and is just a straight pipe from the cam cover bigger outlet to atmosphere. The smaller outlet has a one way valve on it with the arrow facing the inlet (I have blown through the one way valve to makes ure it is facing correct way also) the bigger outlet pipe is blockage free. I will take the smaller outlet pipe of and block it off at the inlet end so it just breaths to air. I suppose there could be a blockage in the actual cam cover part for the breather within so I will take the cam cover of first and check:agree:

Many thanks for the info defo things to check

Os8472
06-07-2011, 18:44
Sounds like u have the same problem as me mate.

What pistons are you using?

James5
06-07-2011, 22:26
Sounds like u have the same problem as me mate.

What pistons are you using?

I am using JE forged Low comp pistons standard bore size (basically the ones Prima racing sell).

Well not had a chance to remove sump tonight spent a couple of hours this eve removing the cams and cam pullies painted the cam pullies up in black and replacedg the round end seals and then resealed the cam carrier's properly so hopefully no more leak from there now:D

Also checked the cam cover breathers and pipes and all clear no blockages at all blowed through them and felt quiet free flowing.

Also noted it look's possible to remove sump with engine in the car as long as I can raise the drivers side high enough:agree:

James5
08-07-2011, 17:39
Well had the sump of last night and got the oil pump out, looks like oil pump had been shimmed so removed the shim, also the oil pump metal filter was covered in white sealant, I assume from the previous owner as the sealant I use is black, anyway all cleaned and back together. Was actually quiet easy getting the sump of the f7p with engine in the car. Also got the cambelt down to a nack aswell now:D So engine all timed up and back together aswell now:agree:

But after further inspection I found turbo rear ater the rear wheel covered in oil the inlet from the exhaust manifold was bone dry, I swear I checked this before and it was dry:scratch::rob::ashamed:

Going to run the car in a bit with turbo removed and oil feed bodged into oil drain pipe, and just let fumes out manifold to check for oil / smoke. Fingers crossed it's just the turbo.

James5
08-07-2011, 21:40
Well I have run engine tonight with turbo fully removed and no smoke :D revved it quiet high and held it for a while and still no smoke:agree: all looking good with engine now. Feck me the car is loud with no turbo and no exhaust on:laugh:. I also got my mocal mechaincal oil pressure gauge all plumbed in with the new adaptor and oil pressure was also good on cold start was 50-55psi to start when cold then when warmed up dropped to 15-20psi on idle and increased as I revved the car:agree: not sure neighbours liked me starting the car with no exhaust on as a few curtains twitched:scared::laugh:

Cheers peeps for all the advice a little embarrased I went through all this and the fecking turbo is fecked:cry::ashamed: :rob: but glad i removed the sump and removed the clogged pump filter and removed the shim, not sure why they had the shim in place unless they were after a few extra psi in oil pressure.

Ashy
08-07-2011, 22:28
Cheers peeps for all the advice a little embarrased I went through all this and the fecking turbo is fecked:cry::ashamed:

Well at least you know what it is!! :agree:

Bigfoot
08-07-2011, 23:35
Great news that its up and running without smoke, well least you know how to take these engines apart loads now :crap: will keep an eye out for any turbos around here for you.

Logg
09-07-2011, 00:10
Dude great news but one question did you measure the oil pressure before you took the shims out of the oil pump. As too much oil pressure would of blow oil out the rear of the the turbo especially if it's a gt ball bearing turbo as they need a restrictor in the oil feed. Or check for a kink in your oil return from the turbo I've had that a few times blows loads of oil out of the turbo. Un kinked everything was good again.

Scoff
09-07-2011, 10:03
James, get an inline filter in that turbo feed, it'll stop the next turbo dying too!

James5
11-07-2011, 09:43
Great news that its up and running without smoke, well least you know how to take these engines apart loads now :crap: will keep an eye out for any turbos around here for you.

Defo good news that it finally run's after all the probs I have had on route:agree:

Dude great news but one question did you measure the oil pressure before you took the shims out of the oil pump. As too much oil pressure would of blow oil out the rear of the the turbo especially if it's a gt ball bearing turbo as they need a restrictor in the oil feed. Or check for a kink in your oil return from the turbo I've had that a few times blows loads of oil out of the turbo. Un kinked everything was good again.

Unfortunatly the turbo is not a rolling bearing but a standard journal bearing 200sx S14 jobbie. Didn't measure oil pressure before as aftermarket adaptor was broken and awaiting new adaptor to turn up:crap: No kinks in pipe's and no blockages either. Turbo has alot of in and out play in it but to be honest it did have play in the turbo before that did worru me before I installed it, but thought I would still try it out:eek:.

James, get an inline filter in that turbo feed, it'll stop the next turbo dying too!

:agree: Turbo Oil Filter now sorted

Cheers for all the advice peeps