PDA

View Full Version : halfords professional range tools

r5 rich
03-07-2011, 18:37
Right well after stripping my 3/8" rachet of the teeth inside I thought I would pop down to halfords with my receipt to then change them it over but no. There policy which they all stick by now is that moving mechanical parts are NOT covered anymore and there for they would not change it. I kicked up a fuss in the end saying that I was not told this when I bought it and they finally gave me a ratchet repait kit which to be honest I still was not happy with but it was better than nothing. Now the bottom line is has anyone taken one apart to fix it as I have got alot of the parts apart but can`t get the rachet switch to remove!

link of the kit:http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_19 5231_langId_-1_categoryId_165572#BVRRWidgetID

ratcher taken apart and the last part I can't split:http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/dehav/IMG00029-20110703-1822.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/dehav/IMG00030-20110703-1822.jpg

car.crash
03-07-2011, 18:40
i found the new kits dont fit in the old ratchets and the whole moving parts rule they now have stinks. so if any of my moving tools fail i simply snap them in half and return them that way.

r5 rich
03-07-2011, 18:46
i found the new kits dont fit in the old ratchets and the whole moving parts rule they now have stinks. so if any of my moving tools fail i simply snap them in half and return them that way.

Marc I thought exactly the same as I have the old ratchet and the new one is completely different yet the picture of the halfords website is for the one I want!

tiff_lee
03-07-2011, 21:56
Yep the halfords lifetime warranty is laughable with something like a ratchet, as if there is anything else on it to break other than the mechanism itself, perhaps snap the handle off it? not likely

raider_gtt
03-07-2011, 22:39

Touch wood I have not had a problem only a extion that I snapped but my store didn't say a word and just gave me a new one no ques/asked so far so good ;) could just be some stores that are being funny by the sound of it ???????

raider_gtt
03-07-2011, 22:41

This also sounds like a good idea that Marc has pointed out!

tiff_lee
03-07-2011, 22:43
Touch wood I have not had a problem only a extion that I snapped but my store didn't say a word and just gave me a new one no ques/asked so far so good ;) could just be some stores that are being funny by the sound of it ???????

It's more of a case you got lucky as it states in the small print
"Moving parts are not covered for wear and tear under this guarantee." so whether they decide to replace or not is up to them really.

raider_gtt
03-07-2011, 22:47
It's more of a case you got lucky as it states in the small print
"Moving parts are not covered for wear and tear under this guarantee." so whether they decide to replace or not is up to them really.

Ok then sounds like I have been lucky don't want to speak to soon sill a great set to have for the money as I do use mac tools also never had any problems with them!

RoboEK
04-07-2011, 13:31
Halfords have never covered moving parts on their ratchets; also did you have your receipt? If not you luck they gave you a replacement kit, there are two different types of replacement kit dose yours say professional (advanced on the newer stuff) or precision? The precision ones have a black and red grip on the handle. How long have you had the ratchet? If it’s less than a year then it is covered by a standard product guaranty (including moving parts) but you will defiantly need your receipt for that.
As for your one it looks to me like the centre pin is turned over (like a rivet) over the ratchet movement, iv checked all mine and none of them are like that, they should just slide off, you could maybe drill it (a lot of hustle) or take it back as it could be a manufacturing defect, so you may get a new one.

Rob@Backyardracing
04-07-2011, 16:47
be carefull trying to break the handles etc to get a new one, as if the tool looks to have been miss-used they wont cover it anyway. (i.e hammer marks etc on screwdrivers).