PDA

View Full Version : AFR'S

MR TURBO
12-11-2008, 15:51
Hey everybody i am currently on the search for some kind of tuning doobrie to sort out my air/ fuel maybe boost etc and monitor them....... I don't just want to jump in and start throwing money around or confuse myself I have heard of the lc-1 and auxbox neither of which do i know what they do can somebody help and shed some light :confused::confused::coffee:

MR TURBO
12-11-2008, 16:31
Shoot i didn't even realise that had happened sorry mart but thanks tho!!!!! Now thats sorted guys wheres your answers???? Not at all once tho :D:D:D

Guybrush
12-11-2008, 16:38
lm2 from the sounds of it, is the doobrie your looking for..... but the lc-1 and the auxbox will do what you need.

MR TURBO
12-11-2008, 17:46
Anymore takers????

5teve L
12-11-2008, 17:50
innovate LM-1, LC-1 with DB gauge, VEMS, NGK, a few others that i forget the names of..... they are all wideband & will cost £150+ & you will either need to have a boss welded into the crossover pipe or buy a sniffer for the exhaust...
HTH
Steve

MR TURBO
12-11-2008, 18:15
Thanks for the replies anyone up to explaining these things in a little more detail??

jantheeven
12-11-2008, 18:51
I got myself a LC-1 wideband kit with a digital AFR gauge, so I can monitor the AFR constantly by just looking at the gauge... I don't like hooking up a laptop while driving (plus I don't even own one :laugh:). It's proven to be quite useful, as I could see that the AFR was too rich @ WOT and full boost. I opened up the a/c from .9 to 1 mm and that did the job. :agree:

http://www.grahamgoode.com/general/products.php?partno=INN3796

Guybrush
12-11-2008, 18:57
Thanks for the replies anyone up to explaining these things in a little more detail??

the lc-1 is that wideband device that used to be sold in the club shop as the "DB Gauge", which was an LC-1 and a digital gauge showing the AFR.

The LC-1 comprises a bosch wideband sensor which is screwed into the exhaust system. It feeds the data to the LC1 unit which can;

output to a gauge (a la DB Gauge)
output to a laptop (via a serial or usb cable)
output to a data logger which logs to a laptop or sd card.

The problem with the LC-1 is that it only tracks AFR and not other metric's like the boost pressure of RPM. To plot boost, RPM, temperatures and AFR you need to buy an auxbox addition for the LC-1. Either that, or do as i was advised in a thread from earlier in the week..... buy an LM-2 which does all of these things from the one unit.

Guybrush
12-11-2008, 19:01
Here's a good comparision of the innovate gear;
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/MTS_grid.php

MR TURBO
12-11-2008, 19:08
so basically if i want to use with a laptop i don't need the db gauge or the stand alone kit?? Just the lc-1 with serial cables??

Guybrush
12-11-2008, 19:16
so basically if i want to use with a laptop i don't need the db gauge or the stand alone kit?? Just the lc-1 with serial cables??

the stand alone kit is just the lc-1 and the sensor tho isn't it???

but yeah, you need the LC-1. The DB-Gauge could be handy for the little extra it costs.

jantheeven
12-11-2008, 20:17
the stand alone kit is just the lc-1 and the sensor tho isn't it???

but yeah, you need the LC-1. The DB-Gauge could be handy for the little extra it costs.

:agree:

Scoff
12-11-2008, 20:39
I just bought and received a new LM-2. I was initially a bit dissapointed, feels a bit crapola, like you'd break it if you pressed too hard, then the supposidly high-vis display isn't very high vis, also the font size of the AFR is tiny in comparison to the advertisment pics and it doesn't come with a manual!!!, NOR is there a manual on the CD!!! Otherwise, I thought, this looks "OK".

I installed the CD, it winged there was no serial port! I said to myself, I know, its USB dumb ass. The software didn't work.

So I googled "LM-2 manual" and went to innovates own site.. Straight to the LM-2 page telling me how awsome it was when infact I knew different. At the bottom of the page there was a link to a manual, finally, I clicked it and was brought to the LM-1 manual!! Went back to the previous page, checked the link, sure enough it was directing me to an LM-1 manual. Did another search and found the PDF manual on another part of the site this time with the correct link.

Finally fathomed out I had to install some drivers which seem to emulate a serial port so that innovates logworks software can talk to the LM-2.

long story slightly shortened, it works OK, software is actually pretty cool, just not impressed with the "all new" high vis display, its crap compared to my old LM-1, and that was crap as it was :D

Guybrush
12-11-2008, 21:15
I just bought and received a new LM-2. I was initially a bit dissapointed, feels a bit crapola, like you'd break it if you pressed too hard, then the supposidly high-vis display isn't very high vis, also the font size of the AFR is tiny in comparison to the advertisment pics and it doesn't come with a manual!!!, NOR is there a manual on the CD!!! Otherwise, I thought, this looks "OK".

I installed the CD, it winged there was no serial port! I said to myself, I know, its USB dumb ass. The software didn't work.

So I googled "LM-2 manual" and went to innovates own site.. Straight to the LM-2 page telling me how awsome it was when infact I knew different. At the bottom of the page there was a link to a manual, finally, I clicked it and was brought to the LM-1 manual!! Went back to the previous page, checked the link, sure enough it was directing me to an LM-1 manual. Did another search and found the PDF manual on another part of the site this time with the correct link.

Finally fathomed out I had to install some drivers which seem to emulate a serial port so that innovates logworks software can talk to the LM-2.

long story slightly shortened, it works OK, software is actually pretty cool, just not impressed with the "all new" high vis display, its crap compared to my old LM-1, and that was crap as it was :D

lol... the LM-2 is advertised as having usb, so its pretty funny that they're just depending on the serial port emulation... :laugh:
sounds like innovate were rushing to get it out, maybe give them another few months and the software will be compatible without any pissing around....

Sparkie
13-11-2008, 17:20
here are plenty of problems with the lc-1.... i'd avoid it.

MR TURBO
14-11-2008, 00:01
I'm even more confused now i just want to buy the right one:cry::cry:

jantheeven
14-11-2008, 09:59
here are plenty of problems with the lc-1.... i'd avoid it.

Enlighten me... ;)
I have it and I'm very pleased with it... never heard of anyone who had problems with it :crap:

MR TURBO
14-11-2008, 13:21
Anyone got one of these things up for grabs?????:smokin::coffee:

jantheeven
14-11-2008, 13:33
in life... only the sunrise is up for grabs :laugh:

Sparkie
14-11-2008, 13:56
Enlighten me... ;)
I have it and I'm very pleased with it... never heard of anyone who had problems with it :crap:

i was pleased with it. i tuned my N/A mk1 TL with it.

then i plumbed it into the turbo 2 and its fecked. unstable reading, going very lean, then sometimes sticking at one reading. now when you plug it to power the LED keeps flashing twice like there is a heater fault... tried everything to fix it. - no joy.

Maka
14-11-2008, 18:37
ive been through a few LC-1's and i had nothing but issues and problems as did a few people on here.

I finally sent it back and got a LM-1 which are fairly cheap these days.
Once you have a supplied bung welded into your downpipe and hook the LM-1 up to it, you will be laughing.

Easy to use, can be installed permanently or temporarily. It can be hooked up to a laptop or even an aftermarket in car afr guage.

LM-1 all the way fella.

djinuk
14-11-2008, 19:01
lm2 on ebay only seems to be like £270

rs250nut
15-11-2008, 17:05
ive been through a few LC-1's and i had nothing but issues and problems as did a few people on here.

I finally sent it back and got a LM-1 which are fairly cheap these days.
Once you have a supplied bung welded into your downpipe and hook the LM-1 up to it, you will be laughing.

Easy to use, can be installed permanently or temporarily. It can be hooked up to a laptop or even an aftermarket in car afr guage.

LM-1 all the way fella.

:agree: all you need

newbstar*
16-11-2008, 14:09
A big problem is sensors getting wet, soon as that happens the sensor is no more.:cry:

MR TURBO
18-11-2008, 13:26
I've been looking and these LM-1's dont seem to be that easy to find and for how long they have been out they are quite pricey still.............

Chris Hebden
19-11-2008, 15:24
Scoff who did you buy your LM-2 off? I am looking at the Innovate LM-2 from Graham Goode, anyone want to enlighten me on thier experiences with the LM-2? I spoke to Glen, from Graham Goode (such a helpful bloke) and he has said the LM-1 is unavailible!?

MR TURBO
19-11-2008, 15:48
Scoff who did you buy your LM-2 off? I am looking at the Innovate LM-2 from Graham Goode, anyone want to enlighten me on thier experiences with the LM-2? I spoke to Glen, from Graham Goode (such a helpful bloke) and he has said the LM-1 is unavailible!?

WTF!!!!! is that unavailable from graham goode or from all stockists???

Chris Hebden
19-11-2008, 15:50
Didnt go into that much info mate, just said wasnt available

MR TURBO
21-11-2008, 13:48
I am thinking i am gonna go with the lc-1 with d/b gauge.....I was baffled for a while as to that chunky lm-1 control box as to why the lc-1 didn't have one but am i right in thinking that the d/b gauge does pretty much the same and all the other technologies between the lm-1 & lc-1 are the same??????:agree: or :disagree:

MR TURBO
23-11-2008, 00:16
Anybody got or ever used one of these???

AEM Gauge-Type Wideband UEGO Controller???

dgdogz
23-11-2008, 18:05
i been reading this whole topic and im really confused the answer vary so much

i want to get one of these but the same as every one i dont want to buy the wrong thing.

the lm1 is quite big as im looking for something to have static in my car to constantly monitor
like the digi gauge wideband controller that they sell
also the gauge one looks cool
hahaha
any further comments on this as i dont want to waste my cash
thanks
d

dgdogz
24-11-2008, 21:35
anyone???

Scoff
24-11-2008, 21:43
have a look at the AEM wideband gauges (google).

ranj
24-11-2008, 21:43
Im using the lc1 and db gauge and so far mine seems ok , i believe there was a faulty batch and rtocs members got a fair few of em but most got sorted by GGoode. Im happy with this setup aand used the gauge to help setup my carb .... I think its a good buy :)

Nayls
24-11-2008, 21:58
A lot do seem to have been faulty! if i was in the market for one right now it would put me off,but i got one of these at the same time as most on here & mine has been faultless!

Chris Hebden
25-11-2008, 12:46
After some research and knowing what i need/want i am going for the LM-2. I need to log the AFR's as i think the carb needs a bit of fettling (Keep your eyes peeled Andrew ;)) and wanted to log with the RPM and this was the best all in one kit i found. Their are other more cheaper kits that you can log straight to your laptop but i wanted to have a clearer picture of what was going on and when! Their is a big difference in price if you dont mind logging to your laptop using the LC-1 (i think) but with the LM-2 it logs to the SD card in the unit its self which you can open up and look at using the software that is provided!

fishead
25-11-2008, 14:16
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Anybody got or ever used one of these???

AEM Gauge-Type Wideband UEGO Controller???

yes, had it quite a while now, no problems with the unit so far. one of if not the best thing car related i have bought

dgdogz
25-11-2008, 14:54
good stuff
so aside from welding the bung in and wiring up the gauge as normal would anyone say thers any other fitting issues??
thanks

MR TURBO
25-11-2008, 15:33
I have a laptop put aside strictly for this purpose but i bet i'll probably end up wanting some kind of gauge just for the look!!!! Has anybody used one of these with a laptop just wondering if the screens you see on the laptop are similar to the gauge????