PDA

View Full Version : Urgent help required with an electrical problem

GTphil
30-06-2011, 15:35
Went out to my car to give it a wash and load it on the recovery truck ready for pod tommorow and like an idiot i had left the lights on the last time i ran it, so the battery was dead as a dodo:( so i whipped my battery charger on but didn't disconnect the battery earth cable, the dash lights came on but were very dim.

Then i took the battery negative lead off an re-connected the battery to the charger, the charger then told me my battery was fully charged??

So i tryed the keys in the ignition and i have nothing, no lights no hazards nothing:confused:

When i check the volatge across the battery it's 9v (it was dead before hand) then when i connect the battery up it drops to 3v and at the alternator i have -3v.

So I'm assuming that something somewhere has blown, I'm compleatly usless when it comes to those wiring diagrams in the haynes manual and was wondering if anybody has any ideas as to what it could be.

Is there a main fuse or anything that i could have blown, all the fuses in the fuse box are fine.

it's like the dam thing is protesting about going to pod!!!:mad:

djinuk
30-06-2011, 15:40
got a winch on the truck, id try to get it on and sort it at pod. Sorry i cant really be of help, electrics scare me, tarmac thrasher /nick, seems to enjoy wires!

GTphil
30-06-2011, 15:57
no winch, the bloody thing was nicked a few weeks back:(

Bigfoot
30-06-2011, 16:03
If there is no charge in the battery and you have drained it fully down, some batteries can not recover from that, I have a battery like that, put it on the charge and it will start saying charge for about 1 sec and then says fully charged, you may find its got no de-ionised water in there which that may need topping up if you can get to it that is.

stuTHC
30-06-2011, 16:05
It just sounds like a fubared battery to me. Not charging up. Theres no other fuses in the wiring apart from whats in the fuse box.
I take it you aint got another battery to try? Jump leads? Not got room to try a bump start?
Where are you? any members close by that can help you out with a spare battery?

GTphil
30-06-2011, 17:10
The battery was fubared:D I ran through literally everything and couldn't find a problem then tryed another battery and hey presto we have life!!:)

moral of the story don't overlook the obvious:ashamed: