PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust paste on the inside of my manifold

GTphil
23-06-2011, 21:18
Just about to put my turbo back on to my car after a full engine build,

I ran the car with an old turbo exhaust housing blanked off for 400 miles or so, so as not to kill my turbo with any potental swarfe.

In my infinate wisdom :rolleyes: i sealed the blanking plate with exhaust paste:crap:

took the old exhaust housing off this evening and was faced with the whole of the inside of my exhaust manifold covered in a layer of hard paste:mad:

Don't fancy putting my alomst new t28 turbo on now in fear of all the paste getting inside it.

Does anyone know a wonder way to clean off the darn stuff or am i faced with only the one option of changing the manifold?

tom t
24-06-2011, 17:02
could you not scrape it whilst having a dyson/hoover running whilst sucking the crap that you scrape out?

SCHWARTZ
24-06-2011, 18:45
just buy a new one matey youll never get it all off. is there any in the head?

car.crash
24-06-2011, 19:27
i would swap the manifold. they are pretty much worthless so its only going to cost time but it will rule out and rubbish going into your turbo.

Fordy
24-06-2011, 21:50
if its not gone in far then wire brush attachment on a drill will get it off in seconds then start the engine with no turbo on to blow out any crap :)

GTphil
25-06-2011, 00:21
It had gone in quite far, so I have scraped as much of it out as I could then hovered it with a Dyson (great minds think alike) ;-) then I turned the engine over just to see if any dust came out and none did.

The inside of the manifold was fairly clean once I had finished so I was happy to put the turbo back on and see how it gets on.

More annoyed with myself than anything I had no idea a bit of exhaust paste would give me this much hassle.

GTphil
15-06-2013, 10:24
Old thread Alert, thought i would update on the issue above and let you know as a kind of warning to be careful with exhaust paste.

Basically after my unrelated engine failure, upon stripping the lump down, i found the chambers in the cylinder head full of paste and also a fine sand like substance in the bottom of the sump, it had also scored all the engine bearings on its way though the oil.

The engine sounded well but had a slight oil pressure issue, who knows what damage its done to the turbo bearings, cam/crank/buckets are all ok, as is the oil pump, just about.

So to sum up, don't use exhaust paste!:wasntme:

JRP
15-06-2013, 11:53
Errr that's literally made me shiver, that poor engine, I guess it lost all moisture and bam sand!

GTphil
15-06-2013, 14:37
pretty much yes, worst thing is it wasn't actually me that sealed off the blanking plate with paste, but hey ho, i should have probably realised what was going to happen.

The bearings aren't scored deeply but you can tell a sand like substance has been through them, probably a good thing that the valve guide shat it's self on me otherwise i wouldn't have had an idea about the paste/sand and would have mullered more engine internals. It's probably done 3k or so like this:(