PDA

View Full Version : Not firing after wiring B18FT up

Markey Mark (BD)
21-06-2011, 21:56
Right just wired my mates B18FT up and its not firing, we have spark and fuel to rail and out injectors (plugs wet) but doesn't want to fire.

Now this engine has the early loom on it so i have wired it up best i can with what i could find on here, most diagrams are for later looms. I have got rid of few items on the engine too but it appears the engine will run without them anyway, just wondering if i got some of the wires wrong way round due to the colurs beng different to the later looms.

So far i have
-grey/red to fuel pump
-grey to 12v ign (pos 2)
-green wire to 12v cranking
-main red 12v to alternator
-blue to rev gauge

Does this sound right to people if you've wired in the early loom?

Also have noticed fuel pump don't run till after few cranks like 5, thought they would prime

Any thoughts will be helpful, i have stripped a few of these engines and built them but this first one i wired in! :laugh:

SCHWARTZ
21-06-2011, 22:13
have you bypassed the fuel pump relay as aparently it does funny things to the pump if its not bypassed and just spliced into it.

Markey Mark (BD)
21-06-2011, 22:17
have you bypassed the fuel pump relay as aparently it does funny things to the pump if its not bypassed and just spliced into it.

The original fuel pump relay has been removed and wired up so its basically run from volvo loom direct to pump

Scoff
21-06-2011, 22:23
The pump should run as soon as you start cranking mark.

1/ Is there good supply volts to the ECU while it's cranking ?

2/ I guess it definately has a 60-2 volvo flywheel and not something daft like a 16v 44 tooth flywheel or sommat ? I only ask because one kid who couldn't get his to start had done exactly that !!

3/ There is a slight difference in early and late looms in terms of power supply to the ignition module. One uses 2 pins and one uses just the one. Sometimes you have to bridge the pins in the connector, or inside the module so you can use an old loom with a new module, or vice versa, which ever it was.

I think I uploaded the old and the new wiring diagrams in to the files section. Search for volvo, or they're in my folder I think.

Markey Mark (BD)
21-06-2011, 22:33
The pump should run as soon as you start cranking mark.

1/ Is there good supply volts to the ECU while it's cranking ?

2/ I guess it definately has a 60-2 volvo flywheel and not something daft like a 16v 44 tooth flywheel or sommat ? I only ask because one kid who couldn't get his to start had done exactly that !!

3/ There is a slight difference in early and late looms in terms of power supply to the ignition module. One uses 2 pins and one uses just the one. Sometimes you have to bridge the pins in the connector, or inside the module so you can use an old loom with a new module, or vice versa, which ever it was.

I think I uploaded the old and the new wiring diagrams in to the files section. Search for volvo, or they're in my folder I think.

Do you know which pin i'm looking for voltage on in the ecu plug mate?

The wiring loom, ecu's and flywheel all come from my engine when i bought the car so know they all matched. I have lost the original 3 pin TDC sensor so had to make a 2 pin gt turbo sensor work, believe Haz said wire it to the outer pins on the plug.
If it was using wrong flywheel would it still spark?

I'll try find the diagrams mate, i'm not best at reading them so prob take me few looks to work them out.

Robbo
22-06-2011, 18:43
my loom had 2 grey/red wires in it one slightly larger/thicker than the other. i used the thicker one

Markey Mark (BD)
23-06-2011, 18:52
my loom had 2 grey/red wires in it one slightly larger/thicker than the other. i used the thicker one

Mines only got the 1 red/grey wire on the loom.

I do have an orange wire left over, being early loom not too sure that this is for maybe its meant to be connected:confused:

I have had alook at the wiring diagrams in the file section, trying to work them out but i'm usless at reading wiring diagrams! :laugh:

bigdur
23-06-2011, 19:02
If you'd like me to take a look at the wiring diagram let me know Mark. :agree:

Markey Mark (BD)
23-06-2011, 19:28
If you'd like me to take a look at the wiring diagram let me know Mark. :agree:

Heres the diagram mate

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/Wiring%20diagrams/volvo-pre91-480.gif

My trouble is i can't tell what colour each wire is and where they go.

I have the list of wires that i have done on the car so could work from that to see if i done it right.

I have main red 12v going to alternator (coming out of loom)

The plug which connected to car i have wired them as so
-Red/grey going to fuel pump
-Thick grey wire going to ign 12v supply (taken from aei unit plug)
-Green goes to 12v cranking feed
-Blue to rev gauge (think it was blue)
-Orange left over doing nothing

bigdur
23-06-2011, 19:44
This one?

SCHWARTZ
23-06-2011, 21:15
take all power etc... from ign switch matey keep it simple:D