PDA

View Full Version : removing rad..few questions

adscan
21-06-2011, 18:08
okay so i have removed my leaky rad. i could not remove the bottom pipe first as the jubilee clip was rusted solid. so i removed the top hose first at the rad. some coolant was collected and from there i managed to get the bottom hose off at the pump and lift the rad out the car.

before i put the replacement rad in i want to flush the system. my header tank is still full of coolant, how do i get all the old coolant out of the system and flush it?

Kris M
21-06-2011, 19:55
There is a drain plug on the O/S side of the block halfway up the timing cover....11mm IIRC. be warned, they are a ******* to undo and love to shear off ;)

adscan
21-06-2011, 20:01
does this have to come out in order to flush the system?

Markey Mark (BD)
21-06-2011, 21:21
Yes mate as thats lowest part of the cooling system so you'll be able to flush all the coolant out through there.

adscan
21-06-2011, 21:33
i will take a look tomorrow.. hoow easy is it to access? once open all the coolant left in the system will drain out?

gimme5
21-06-2011, 23:19
disconnect the hoses from expansion tank and use a hose pipe,feed water down one of the hoses till water comes clean from the other and vise-versa,also stick hose down bottom coolant hose (reverse flush) keep doing it over and over till it comes clean,i personally would'nt touch bolt could end in tears:)

p.s take bleed nipple out of the top water pump hose, the small hose not the top rad hose,so water can flow through as your thermostate will be closed

how many times could i say hose:):)

mightymanx
22-06-2011, 00:36
ive done loads of radiators and the bleed bolt inthe block is always seized grrrrrrrrr