PDA

View Full Version : struggle to find gears when hot

Nad-5GTT
14-06-2011, 21:08
Good evening, i have a quickshift gear lever installed, now with engine off i can find all gears lovely, when engine is 1st started and for about 20mins everything is fine but after a while i sometimes struggle to find 1st gear and possibly reverse. When i come to a junction it doesnt always happen sometimes i can find 1st but other times its a real pain, what could be the problem

J$£5GTT
14-06-2011, 21:11
hi mate,my b&m quick shift used to tighten up on long journeys,but for some reason has been fine as of late,only thing i can suggest is to check your gear linkage is set up correctly.
:)

Nad-5GTT
14-06-2011, 21:22
hi mate,my b&m quick shift used to tighten up on long journeys,but for some reason has been fine as of late,only thing i can suggest is to check your gear linkage is set up correctly.

Ye im guessing im going to have to go back under the car again, maybe just move it an ickle bit at a time. Going to be abit heart breaking moving it though as its perfect when cold.

J$£5GTT
14-06-2011, 21:36
that might not be the isssue,cant remember the set up procedure for the linkage,try a search or im sure s'one else can help,goes along the lines of selecting reverse/or first then tightening it up at that point and it should be good to go....somin like that...

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4798

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/search.php?searchid=59353&pp=25&page=2

:agree:

J8TRO
14-06-2011, 22:21
Re-read your post, my advise was on a different issue. Sorry, hence this edit.

Mudslinger
14-06-2011, 22:44
ive got the same problem with my B&M shifter, try wrapping some exhaust wrap round the exhaust , that seemed to make a diff for me , i recon the heat makes the bearing part expand making it tight in the plastic shifter housing part :)

Nad-5GTT
15-06-2011, 18:18
ive got the same problem with my B&M shifter, try wrapping some exhaust wrap round the exhaust , that seemed to make a diff for me , i recon the heat makes the bearing part expand making it tight in the plastic shifter housing part :)

That seems like a good idea, the exhaust is bloody close to the plastic housing, on another avenue could it have anything to do with the clutch cable someone has mentioned this on another site?

tiff_lee
15-06-2011, 18:32
I would of thought it was more likely your quickshift heating up as others have experienced. If it was a clutch cable fault all gears would be affected surely?

Nad-5GTT
15-06-2011, 19:42
I would of thought it was more likely your quickshift heating up as others have experienced. If it was a clutch cable fault all gears would be affected surely?

Ye im thinking it is the quickshift heating up because it was at its worst whilst id been driven slowly through country lanes, i then went 2miles down a dual carrigeway and at the roundabout i remember finding 1st without issue ie the exhaust had cooled down a touch whilst going along at 70mph, now do i use heat wrap or make up a heat shield?

J$£5GTT
15-06-2011, 21:46
Ye im thinking it is the quickshift heating up because it was at its worst whilst id been driven slowly through country lanes, i then went 2miles down a dual carrigeway and at the roundabout i remember finding 1st without issue ie the exhaust had cooled down a touch whilst going along at 70mph, now do i use heat wrap or make up a heat shield?

give anything a go and see what results you get i reckon..
:agree::)

michael tierney
15-06-2011, 22:14
i made a little heat shield and attached it to the selector rod years ago....no trouble since

tiff_lee
16-06-2011, 00:00

I'd say either, what's more convenient, do you have any metal loafing to make a heat shield out of or any heatwrap to use on the adjacent piece of exhaust.

Either way outcome should be the same.