PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Weights - stick on or knock on type

Renault 5 GT Turbo
11-06-2011, 10:29
Hi,

Just had my 13" speedline wheels refurbed and new tyres to go on in next couple of hours.

I am really against the knock on weights that sit on the leading edge of the wheel and much prefer stick on type weights on the inside of the wheel out of sight.

Clearance on the front calipers is a real issue, how do you guys get around this? Do you ask tyre fitters to make sure the stick on weight are on the very inside edge of the wheels to avoid hitting the calipers?

Quick reply appreciated.

Bigfoot
11-06-2011, 10:41
I just had my balanced last week, asked them to stick right up to the edge and out of sight and the caliper just goes round them.

dangerous dave
11-06-2011, 11:35
If you go somewhere that uses the better machines they can select all the different areas to put the weights, take out the guess work. I never had a problem with my fronts, but my rear weights caught so I stuck them more to the middle.

On 15s my weights are hidden behind various spokes so you can't see them. :)

Brigsy
11-06-2011, 12:16
Get knock on weights fitted on the inside edge of the rim.

michael tierney
11-06-2011, 20:20
personnally speaking knock-on weights will break the paint and cause corrosion!:crap:

Renault 5 GT Turbo
12-06-2011, 19:33
Thanks for the advice guys.

I advised the tyre fitters to make sure that they fitted the weights near the inside edge. Popped the wheels on and no clearance issues which is great.

The tyre fitter managed to get my tyres on without damaging the refurbed wheels which was a bonus!

dangerous dave
12-06-2011, 19:56
Thanks for the advice guys.

I advised the tyre fitters to make sure that they fitted the weights near the inside edge. Popped the wheels on and no clearance issues which is great.

The tyre fitter managed to get my tyres on without damaging the refurbed wheels which was a bonus!

all tyres should be fitted without fecking up the wheels.. a fitter could feck up setting the maching to close, but they should have plastic covers etc that will prevent damage.. many machines used in cheap tyre garages are old tat and have shed loads of play in the fitting arms which allows the arm to flex way to close or even touch the rim before the tyre finally pops onto the wheel..

where i used to work at merityre we used the corghi master, its a bada55 machine, makes fitting the biggest rims and runflats childs play.. i still take all my tyres there as all the machines are tip top, merityre dont feck about, they have the lastest and charge mega money..:laugh: lucky for me i know them well:smokin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieaAG9olgwc