PDA

View Full Version : coont of a day!

tubbyG
08-06-2011, 14:21
this happened this morning while giving the 5 some stick.
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac2/Phase2-tungy-gtt/DSC00355.jpg

so limped to an engineers unit and he recons a small weld would be enough to use for the mean time. He also said it would prob work out cheaper to get another housing.

also on the way home I seen the temp guage rising really fast and the fan never cut in. as usual the wiring in the rad had worked loose but i noticed water dripping onto the degas pot....... the hose on the top of it was rubbing on the waterpump pulley and wore a hole through.....I had no coolant left!
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac2/Phase2-tungy-gtt/DSC00356.jpg

lucky I always have a set of pikey tools and quickly bodged it with tape :D

and to top it off when I got home I noticed part of the actuator has worked loose and dropped off somewhere:sad:
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac2/Phase2-tungy-gtt/DSC00357.jpg

stuTHC
08-06-2011, 14:48
Well they do say bad luck comes in threes. You got all yours out the way in one day. Now go and buy a lottery ticket! :)

Nad-5GTT
08-06-2011, 15:24
Ah not good fella, just take all the bits off your dads orange one :laugh:

Fordy
08-06-2011, 15:58
you need to fix you actuator mounting bracket aswell
because the actuator rod shouldn't be pointing that far away from the pivot pin on the lever, it should be prefectly in line with the pivot pin on the lever

tubbyG
08-06-2011, 18:59
Fordy. - the bracket is on the turbo as it should, so only way would be to rotate the housing a bit. I reckon this definetley contributed to the damage. I had it wound right up the actuator and the rod was at a prety much 45 degree to the actuator itself
:(

Tony Walker
08-06-2011, 19:42
you had the actuator all the way to that nut at the other end??? your better off bleeding some pressure off to the actuator hose than winding the preload that far.

Adam 005
08-06-2011, 20:30
the nut and bolt you have holding the rod to arm looks to be the culprit could be twisting the arm rather than piveting.:)

tubbyG
08-06-2011, 20:34
you had the actuator all the way to that nut at the other end??? your better off bleeding some pressure off to the actuator hose than winding the preload that far.

no not that far.. that would be insane!!... :laugh: but around half way I reckon.

yeah i think bleeding off a few psi would be the way forward....

fairly gutted though.......she was boosting well!!

Fordy
08-06-2011, 23:39
Fordy. - the bracket is on the turbo as it should, so only way would be to rotate the housing a bit. I reckon this definetley contributed to the damage. I had it wound right up the actuator and the rod was at a prety much 45 degree to the actuator itself
:(

Defo need to sort it fella the natural rest postion of the rod should be straight, i found this once with a 200sx turbo technics hybrid turbo that the bracket was poorly welded and pointing the rod away from the turbo :rolleyes:
After i bent the bracket to the right place the rod wasnt under side tension and the boost came in alot smoother :agree:

tubbyG
10-06-2011, 23:39
I have now got hold of a new exhaust side for the turbo. Bar soot its in good nick with no cracks. im wondering how compatible it is with the front end I have.

With what I can gather from the invoices with the car it was a turbo technics t2/25.

numbers are front - M27 A/R.48
rear - 63.

Now the new rear end I picked up has 47 stamped, will this make any difference?

Tony Walker
10-06-2011, 23:48
best to be very carful puttin it together, do it very slowly and keep checking the shaft turns freely, last thing you want is to just bolt it together and your exhaust wheel doesnt fit the housing.

tubbyG
11-06-2011, 00:03
I had a quick go stripping and rebuilding it tonight, turbo just needs fitting up to car again. Have also rotated slightly to put less of an angle on the actuator arm

I was really careful when joining the two together making sure the blades weren't impeded. I will turn it by hand in the morning and see how it feels

will it have any effect on the performance of the turbo?

Fordy
11-06-2011, 17:29
I had a quick go stripping and rebuilding it tonight, turbo just needs fitting up to car again. Have also rotated slightly to put less of an angle on the actuator arm

I was really careful when joining the two together making sure the blades weren't impeded. I will turn it by hand in the morning and see how it feels

will it have any effect on the performance of the turbo?

so your old housing was 63ar and now the new one is 47ar it'll make it spool up alot sooner but might restrict the power a bit at the higher end compared to the last one

also make sure your oil drain port is still pointing down other wise oil wont drain away easy

tubbyG
11-06-2011, 18:52
so your old housing was 63ar and now the new one is 47ar it'll make it spool up alot sooner but might restrict the power a bit at the higher end compared to the last one

also make sure your oil drain port is still pointing down other wise oil wont drain away easy

cheers for that Fordy, i did make sure the drain was sorted!
I have only really noticed it boosting a little earlier in first gear, it seems to be pretty responsie. But im happy the turbo is back in action - non turbo C1j is :disagree: