PDA

View Full Version : Cam question

Jimmy_GTT
06-06-2011, 16:02
I've bought a cam from K-tec 3 years ago when I've rebuilded my engine.
As I remember they have sold it as their own cam. +20bhp without vernier and uprated springs.
I'm using the car since that. But I was courious about my cam so I measured it during the weekend.
Here is the result:
http://www.renaultclub.hu/Jimmy/cam.jpg
As I've checked the cam wizard it is very similar to a Piper 285, isn't it?. Peak lift was 9.72mm with 0.2 valve clearance.
Is it safe to use it without uprated springs?

James5
06-06-2011, 16:13
I would be looking to get the shorter catcam / piper springs with that cam as you say looks similar to the 285 yet peak lift is only a tad lower

Andrew Cooke
06-06-2011, 17:53
what's stamped on the end? The Ktec cam was ground by piper, but was much like a NA Gordini profile. It's not unknown for the wrong grind to be on a cam.... That said, you might want to recheck your lift curve, something funny is going on around 20-30deg, that doesn't look right to me.

For reference I found the best way to measure the cam was in a bare block with a follower, pushrod and DTI fitted. Align the DTI with the pushrod and follower. If you want a curve for the bare cam lift I can let you have one.
Andy

Jimmy_GTT
06-06-2011, 20:41
I didn't know there should be a stamp on it (by the time engine was rebuilt), so haven't checked before installing it.
Around 20-30degrees I think it is only a misstyping. It was the first time I've measured a cam. And alone it is a bit difficult.
For me the most important info was that it is correctly timed. Peak lift is around 109-110 degrees. But the 9.72mm peak lift surpiresd me a bit.
Could it be that I do not have standard rocker ratio? Is it 1.5:1?
Is it safe to use it with the standard springs? My rev limit is currently set to 6.700rpm.
Does it make sense to retard/advance this cam with a vernier?
Car is used as a fast road car.

Andrew Cooke
06-06-2011, 20:54
the rocker ratio is about 1.5:1, they're all the same, there is some tolerance, but not as much as you see.
If you have peak lift around 109deg it's probably OK. I'd leave it alone, but I'm lazy :D

With the valve springs you need to check for coilbind. At full lift measure the gap in the coils with a feeler gauge. I like to see 0.5mm between them all. If you have that you'll probably be OK.

Jimmy_GTT
06-06-2011, 21:22
Thanks for the advice. I'll try to check it next time.