PDA

View Full Version : engine out

Ross99
11-11-2008, 00:21
ok need to get my engine free from the shell, its currently sat on the floor, i need the bottom end and gear box out, i dont have use of an engine crane, is there anyway to simply lift the car off the front frame will it leave all the engine etc behind on the frame?

i'm getting th scrappy to lift the shell on to there truck, so what bolts do i undo to make this happen when they lift the shell clear and is it even possible?

MR TURBO
11-11-2008, 00:28
I swear i have seen that done b4 but for the life of me can't tell you how sorry:(:( but i'm sure can be done!!!!:D:D

Ross99
11-11-2008, 00:35
what would a full botton and gear box weight combined?

its either that or i grind engine mounts off and get them to quicly hoist it out with the hyab crane and see if that works alright then i'm not lumbered with a sub frame i need shot of.

dave j gtt
11-11-2008, 02:38
whats the shell like ? why not give it somone on here :sad2:

Ross99
11-11-2008, 03:16
i have offered it for free in the classifieds no one wants it and i need it gone shell is spot on

dave j gtt
11-11-2008, 03:26
pm me your post code please might be too far but i'll see :)

any chance of a few pictures please;)

Alex
11-11-2008, 09:21
If you haven't got a hoist you can life it out with the help of a friend.

You need a big long bar with a rope wrapped around the engine and you lift it out from either side. You will need a certain amount of strength to do it this way though! ;)

Marcus
11-11-2008, 14:16
If you haven't got a hoist you can life it out with the help of a friend.

You need a big long bar with a rope wrapped around the engine and you lift it out from either side. You will need a certain amount of strength to do it this way though! ;)

Thats how I did it a few years back, don't even need to take the driveshafts out doing it that way :laugh: I forgot about the gearbox oil though and 8 years later my dad's next door neighbours drive still has my footprints on it :laugh:

rs250nut
11-11-2008, 14:40
[quote=Ross99;19542]what would a full botton and gear box weight combined?

Fcuking heavy matey I reckon on 180kg there abouts maybe a tad more.

Guybrush
11-11-2008, 14:48
[quote=Ross99;19542]what would a full botton and gear box weight combined?

Fcuking heavy matey I reckon on 180kg there abouts maybe a tad more.

Its quite a lot, i bought a complete engine & gearbox a few years ago, and it took 4 of us to carry it into my garage. More to do with the akwardness of lifting it, than the weight. I reckon it'd be about 150kg.

richi
11-11-2008, 19:29
me and my friend have just dropped both of our engines iout from the bottom, really easy just get rid of all the hoses a few wires including the earth straps and starter motor wire, pop the drive shfts out, jack the car up as high as you can, get a trolley jack and long piece of wood, tie the engine on the wood from the bottom, undo the bolt out of the subframe and drop.........easy only 2 of use doing it and didnt even take that long. we then cracked the gearbox, carried that separate to the engine

Adam L
11-11-2008, 19:50
Isn't the obvious thing to do here is to break the box away from the engine... Duh!! It's pretty stupid to try and lift both considering it's probably going to take 5 minutes or less the unbolt.

The engine will lift out with a bar/rope/freind, once that's out you can lift the box out by yourself, unless you're a total pussy.

clee
11-11-2008, 20:27
I've had the GTA V6 (proper MANS lump ) in and out umpteen times on me own :cry: Out the top ....out the bottom it's all down to experience . Just dive in and do it .....If you get it wrong you'll get it right next time .

Adam L
11-11-2008, 22:55
Imagine a 5ft 7'' man lifting a GTiR higher than he stands on his driveway to take out the 450 odd kg engine/box. Now that's manly:D

Ross99
11-11-2008, 23:10
no pussy here adam i'll take them both out together on me tod, can lift well in advance of the 150/180 kilo's so wont be an issue failing that i'll simply grind the whole of the car front off and push it out lol.

cheers fellas so it should be no more than a half day task?

raj
11-11-2008, 23:15
no pussy here adam i'll take them both out together on me tod, can lift well in advance of the 150/180 kilo's so wont be an issue failing that i'll simply grind the whole of the car front off and push it out lol.

cheers fellas so it should be no more than a half day task?

ross, why not keep the shell and cut the front off to remove the engine and then use the rest of it as a fancy trailer..?

like this
http://www.manaszk.it.pl/zarty/1214036-Passat.jpg

Ross99
11-11-2008, 23:16
lol thats awsome, i would not even entertain getting in the back one on the go though.

walney to weymouth is to far mate!

raj
11-11-2008, 23:20
lol thats awsome, i would not even entertain getting in the back one on the go though.

walney to weymouth is to far mate!

the pic is actually very old and ive always been keen on the idea:D the passat seems to pull it off well :) awsome trailer. obviously not for people to sit in when on the move