View Full Version : Bottom rad hose

FurioKid
10-11-2008, 20:39
This may sound like a really stupid question, but just got my engine back in the 5 and fitted my alloy rad, and when I've gone to fit the bottom rad hose, it gets squashed between the rad, oil filter and alternator??

Has anyone else had this problem don't see what I've done wrong???

OUTLAW
10-11-2008, 21:09
a pic would be a great help:agree:

FurioKid
10-11-2008, 21:13
yeah i'll try and get one uploaded tomoz possibly. tried fitting it a few times with no luck??

OUTLAW
10-11-2008, 21:21
i`ll take some photos of my rad and bottom hose for you early morning mate:D

FurioKid
10-11-2008, 21:22
cheers mate, that'd help alot :agree:

Kris M
10-11-2008, 21:50
The bottom rad hose fits pretty snugley, it should pass between the back of the alternator and the block, maybe your alternator belt is too short and the alternator is pulled right in to its max adjustment, squashing the hose ????

Brigsy
10-11-2008, 22:13
I always find the bottom rad hose doesnt fit too well. Keep both hose clips loose & turn it until it fits, its tight & pretty much runs across the top of the oil filter.

If that wont sort it, id be looking at the rad to see if the pipe is on at the right angle, might have to make modifications to the hose.

dangerous dave
10-11-2008, 23:00
i thought it was always a sheeite fit, hence the coil spring inside it..

Nayls
10-11-2008, 23:30
i thought it was always a sheeite fit, hence the coil spring inside it..

:agree:

was just gonna say make sure the spring is in place.

tom t
11-11-2008, 07:32
definatley need the spring. which end should it be in? think i put mine in from the top and pushed it down the hose more into the bend.

FurioKid
11-11-2008, 08:06
yeah the I've fitted the spring inside the pipe. Its a silicone hose I'm fitting but compared it to the original and its exactly the same.
Tried fitting it at different angles just seems too tight to me?

OUTLAW
11-11-2008, 08:34
:smokin:just taken sum pics for you mate, i noticed my hose at the rad end is kinked:sad2:...this has left me feeling pretty sad this morning, because now i need to change it..i have a new silicon but i had other work in mind for the 5 today..i might just leave the hose...its a right pain to get to, i droped the alternator belt for you but its still a bit difficult to make out, its the black hose:agree:..it runs round the back of the alternator, should be no where near the belt:D...gonna put pics in my album bud, dont no how to put them here...i`m crap on computors,lol

jantheeven
11-11-2008, 19:02
My bottom rad hose wa squashed a bit too... so I removed the plastic cover from the side of the alternator, which gave the hose exactly enough space :agree: And I don't even have the spring that goes inside the hose... never had it :laugh:

jantheeven
11-11-2008, 19:04
okay I just took a look at your pictures... I see your alternator also doesn't have that plastic cover... strange... because it fits on my 5 like that :crap:

The new Bill J
11-11-2008, 19:12
yeah the I've fitted the spring inside the pipe. Its a silicone hose I'm fitting but compared it to the original and its exactly the same.
Tried fitting it at different angles just seems too tight to me?

Plenty of people have had problems with the fitting of a silicon bottom rad' hose (mainly SFS I think), as they're thicker walled and less flexible. OE item all the way :agree:

raj
11-11-2008, 19:23
count yourselves lucky.!

my rad is stretches from right up against the alternator across to the bonnet latch.

to top it off the bottom rad hose outlet pipe points directly under the oil filter rather than pointing to the side like the std rad.
has been bloody annoying trying to re-route the pipe:rolleyes: but its all sorted now :)
as a bonus the top rad hose inlet is on the alternator side and has tidyed the bay nicely:)

OUTLAW
11-11-2008, 19:29
okay I just took a look at your pictures... I see your alternator also doesn't have that plastic cover... strange... because it fits on my 5 like that :crap:
evening buddy, the alternator looks different because its not standard, its a up-rated alternator...running a split charge system:D...

FurioKid
11-11-2008, 19:33
well I'll have another go and try and reposition it and I'll try taking the back cover off the alternator

OUTLAW
11-11-2008, 19:40
well I'll have another go and try and reposition it and I'll try taking the back cover off the alternator
i woud`ent take the cover of the alternator:sad2:....just trim the pipe if needed...only a little...also use the spring...i never knew about the spring:agree:...it may be kinked a little, but it will still do its job

FurioKid
11-11-2008, 19:46
can't really trim the pipe. it does fit but as I say it just seems a little squashed between the two.i've got the spring fitted in the silicone hose, made sure too lol

raj
11-11-2008, 20:50
furio, it really isnt as hard as your making out.! yes its findly but it will fit.

make sure the spring hasnt worked its way up toward the waterpump, i always make sure mine is pushed just around the first bend, this would position the spring between the alternator bracket and engine block where the hose is at its most cramped. the spring is there to stop the hose from getting kinked/collapsing in this tight spot. also the std hose has a firm plastic sleeve to help protect it at this tight spot which i think the silicone ones dont have.

to make it easier, lightly oil both inside ends of the hose, this will make it alot easier for you to twist the hose to adjust it.