PDA

View Full Version : Replacing radiator

adscan
25-05-2011, 21:04
I am going to be replacing my knackered rad at the weekend.

Is this a simple procedure and are there any hints anyone can give me?

cpt chunk
25-05-2011, 21:30
Pretty simple job.. just remember to fit the bottom radiator hose to the rad before you put the new one in. Its abit of a pain to do if you dont.

adscan
25-05-2011, 21:34
Where does the rad bolt in? I can't see any obvious bolts.

Also...how do you pressurise/bleed the cooling system once the new rad is on?

GTphil
25-05-2011, 21:36
Well worth putting some washing powder in your header tank and warming the car up to temp before you drain the coolant, definatly also worth giving the block a flush through with a hose pipe too;)

renew any rusty looking hose clips while your at it:coffee:

:edit:

The rad is held in place by two rubber stops at the bottom and the clip that runs across top of the slam panal.

Top up the system with the bleed nipples out first of all then close the one nearest the waterpump first then the one in the top rad hose, then start the car up and top up if needed, i always just undo the first bleed nipple and pressurise the header tank with my lungs (mouth over the filler cap) untill coolant is coming out of the first bleed nipple then close it, then take a breath and open the second bleed nipple in the top rad hose and do the same again.

Warm the car up to temp after that and make sure the rad fan kicks in when it should then let it cool overnight if poss and top up a nessesary in the morning.:)

Big Steve - Raider
25-05-2011, 22:00
Well worth putting some washing powder in your header tank and warming the car up to temp before you drain the coolant

First time i've heard this?? What's this do... apart from get the blood out?? :laugh:

I assume this is better than the old Rad Flush kak?

J$£5GTT
25-05-2011, 22:15
First time i've heard this?? What's this do... apart from get the blood out?? :laugh:

I assume this is better than the old Rad Flush kak?

i stick a dishwasher tablet in the header every now an then,helps keep the temps down.
:D

James5
25-05-2011, 22:16
i stick a dishwasher tablet in the header every now an then,helps keep the temps down.
:D

:agree: And smells nice to I tend to use the lavender washing tablets:D

GTphil
25-05-2011, 22:42
It's worth it just for the "smell factor":p

adscan
25-05-2011, 22:42
:agree: And smells nice to I tend to use the lavender washing tablets:D

Will this be alright and not cause faults with the cooling system?

James5
25-05-2011, 22:45
Will this be alright and not cause faults with the cooling system?

No it's fine helps clean up and remove the oily bits and dirt in the system, give it a good flush with a hose to make sure it's all out

adscan
26-05-2011, 08:57
When draining the system is it a case of removing the bottom rad hose? In the Haynes manual it mentions undoing the a plug below the water pump. Is this easy to access?

Thundercat
26-05-2011, 09:21
Plug in the engine will most likely not undo and I wouldn't bother with it. A good flush out with hose and I usually change coolant again after a few weeks just to keep system clean. I used daily daz on me mates 5, should of seen the muck come out.

James5
26-05-2011, 09:24
When draining the system is it a case of removing the bottom rad hose? In the Haynes manual it mentions undoing the a plug below the water pump. Is this easy to access?

The plug is quiet hard to get to matey due to lack of space and doesn't always come undone, its and 11mm hex head on the bolt if you try.

adscan
26-05-2011, 09:27
I won't bother then.

How long do you leave the soap powder in the system before flushing. 15 mins or so?