PDA

View Full Version : Taking a gearbox out

philg
18-05-2011, 15:03
Just wondering out of the b18 lads who have done it, can it get taken out from the top or do i have to drop the sub frame a little and get it out from the side underneath?

Cheers lads :)

SCHWARTZ
18-05-2011, 17:31
never tried out of the top bud as i have no crane so i drop the subframe as it can be done with just a jack and a couple of pieces of wood pikey stile:D. i dont know if it can but if it can be taken out from the top with a c1j i cant see it being much difference matey. whats wrong with the box? also remember theres a bolt under the starter, and the starter need removing before seperating it, un less you want to be like me and just shout at it for a while wondering why it wont come apart:ashamed::laugh:

philg
18-05-2011, 19:15
Its fubar mate, i had it rebuilt when we were building the engine up, me being a bit wet behind the ears, i forgot to put gearbox oil in for the 1st 20 miles or so :ashamed:

I think the damage must have happened then, then just got worse over time :cry:

Guv
18-05-2011, 19:20
I took my engine and box out from the top with an engine crane quiet easily. I would remove the alternator and bracket first before you pull it out to give you abit more room on that side, otherwise its a tight squeeze.

philg
18-05-2011, 19:25
Im realy just looking the leave the engine in and just remove the box, just wondering how the other b18 lads managed when doing a clutch etc?

Robbo
19-05-2011, 10:33
i would take the lot out the top

dave r5
19-05-2011, 13:38
If u can get the box out without removing The engine then hats of to ya.

It's easier and quicker to pull the lump from the tip and whilst it's on the crane remove the box ect.

Pulled mine out Sunday. 1 hr and didn't break a sweat lol

philg
20-05-2011, 08:25
cheers lads i was hoping there was going to be enough room to do it in the car, guess not.

Bit more work than i hoped, nevermind :)